ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Octopus

Fresh, Salt, & Pond fish. Aquatic inverts, jelly fish, shrimp, octopus, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

LizardLohan

Octopus

Postby LizardLohan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:10 am

Well my friends, i discovered a very sad thing today - my township has a law about keeping raccoons as pets. Therefor its illegal and can cost my dad his job (he's a cop). So, as sad as it is, i have to move on for now.

I am posting here today about an octopus. I have read that they are very cool and fun creatures. The only thing that scares me is there bite.. wich feels like a bee sting. :( but i will live. So does anyone here have or have had an octopus. Right now i am thinking about a bimac, the most commonly kept. They live a little longer than a year, are out and about during the day, and are pretty playful and friendly.

plus, arent they cute!

oh and one of those giant flemish rabbits too (and a english angora.... aparetly my mom would love to have three "nice, domesticated" pets compaired to a nice coon. Oh well.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oh, decisions, decisions.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:36 pm

Maybe its different where you live, but in MI you could go before the township board & try for an exception ( there is another word for it, but old age is enroaching and i can't remember what it is). I think here the fee is ~ $25. and you would need to present the reasons that you should be exempted from the rule.
Aren't the octi all salt water? If so you might want to get experience with easy salt water specie before trying an octopus. Either way, good luck
LizardLohan

Postby LizardLohan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:22 pm

Thank you very much, that is some great information.. but, i called and found out that it is not illegal! I was giving the wrong information before. (rejoices!) plus, my mom said to get whatever i want, granted she was yelling, but she still said it. so i am going to get my coon!

I have delt with saltwater and freshwater fish, including the seahorses (which were pretty hard to keep) i bought from a auction (werent sure what kind they were.) But thank you very very much.

Im sure i know a few people who you just helped me help, thank you again.

Erica
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:05 pm

It's generally a bad idea to get an exotic when living with parents, especially something like a coon. If the coon does damage or makes noise and keeps them up or they just don't like it they can make you get rid of it. They own the house so they get to make the decisions about what you have and if you can keep in their house or on their property.

If you get one when they aren't receptive to the idea your odds are incredibly bad that it will work out. What will they do if you coon rips a hole all the way through the wall? I believe someone posted about their's doing that on here.

Said by a person with an exotic and living with parents but they were open to the idea and I've never brought home a fennec or a mynah bird like I'd like because they are to noisy and messy and know it wouldn't go well.
LizardLohan

Postby LizardLohan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:33 pm

I know what you mean, but i believe my parents bark is way worse than there bite. They dont want an animal untill they see it (and boy, does it take forever to get them out of a pet store!) Our biggest problem is that my mom believes that a raccoon will "go wild". But even if it does, there will be no problem as far as keeping it (it just wont be as happy as it will live downstairs) If my coon rips a hole through the wall things will be bad for me, not him. It will be my job to make up for it, pay for it, and help my dad fix it. I do understand your concern, as this is a problem for alot familys with exotics, but please understand that i have done alot of thinking and planning. My dad is for the idea, as long as my mom isnt around, i believe that as soon as we get him my mom will start showing him off to friends and family. She thinks too much of the bad, and not enough of the good. But this changes when she falls in love with the animal. And its impossible not to love a coon :lol:

Ps. my regards to you and pua.
Ciao

Postby Ciao » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Octopuses are for expert aquatic hobbyists only. They can become easily stressed out and need their tank cleaned regularly. They also don't live very long, sadly. :(
LizardLohan

Postby LizardLohan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:51 pm

Yeah, I know that. I have many caresheets for em'

most only live a year.

I do tend to jump into things. So far everything has worked out okay, because i do alot of reasurch before hand.

Im not going to get an octopus, because im not to big on tank cleaning. But I am looking around for poisen dart frogs instead.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:27 pm

tree frogs are really nice too. In Michigan they used to have both kinds readily available . My daughter lost interest a while ago so i don't know if they still are.
Ciao

Postby Ciao » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:57 pm

LizardLohan wrote:Yeah, I know that. I have many caresheets for em'

most only live a year.

I do tend to jump into things. So far everything has worked out okay, because i do alot of reasurch before hand.

Im not going to get an octopus, because im not to big on tank cleaning. But I am looking around for poisen dart frogs instead.

Poison dart frogs are really cool. :mrgreen: They're sort of like fish, they're a nice ornamental species to look at.
LizardLohan

Postby LizardLohan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:44 pm

Plus, depending on the plants in there, they dont require as much cleaning. I like tree frogs, but they arent as colorful.... and i like that burst of color! I hope i dont need a permit to keep them though, because they are endangered... I would breed them, but im not sure i have the money for the different terrianiams (sp?)
Fox lover

yep

Postby Fox lover » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:50 pm

i have thought about getting a baby octopus but he might wind up eating my only fish, my beta legolas
If you belive in yourself you can reach your goals!

Future goal: Artic fox
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Dart frogs are VERY hard to keep. The humidity needs to be kept very precises and they eat fruit flies. Some are a little easier than others but none really easy.

Return to “Fish and Aquaria - Aquatic inverts”