HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

PLEASE READ THIS REGARDING TOXIC DOG FOOd viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1463

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 (with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.) FREE TO USE.
(PLEASE USE THE LINK ABOVE, YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

Oranda Goldfish Questions

Fresh, Salt, & Pond fish. Aquatic inverts, jelly fish, shrimp, octopus, etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Oranda Goldfish Questions

Postby Juska » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:57 am

I've had my Oranda since about September of last year. His name is Zoltan. He's been fine up until a few months ago, when he developed a problem which I believed to be a swim bladder disorder, he had the symptoms and everything. I treated it the best I could, and now he doesn't seem to have it anymore. Now, recently, I've noticed that some of his scales on his left side are turning black/grey, when all of his scales were gold/orange before. Also, the black portions on his dorsal fin are disappearing. Below are some pictures of him from a while ago...I'll try to get some new pictures up tomorrow.

My question is: Are the black spots on his side a sign of a disease or anything? I would appreciate any input. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:25 am

It's ammonia burns. To much ammonia is from not changing the water often enough and often to small a tank. People often under estimate how much water a goldfish needs because they give off a lot more waist than other fish do. And just filtering the water is not enough it needs regular changes, and before the water starts looking bad.

http://www.flippersandfins.net/goldfishfaq.htm#bowl
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:17 pm

Alright, I'm going to go out and get some Prime conditioner, and clean his tank out when I get home. Do those ammonia burns have any chance of killing him? Or will they just go away after I get him into the clean tank?
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:51 pm

It could eventually kill with no action but if you do regular water changes with treatment it should heal over time. Ammonia can be in tap water and add to what the fish puts out. So you need to treat the whole tank.

If starting the tank from scratch(you clean everything out) you just change out 1/4 of the water every week from then on, cleaning the rocks at the same time with one of those sucker things to get the waist out is best.
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:21 pm

Thank you Hyzenth! Hopefully I can get him back to his normal self soon :)
BB

Postby BB » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:39 am

Hey Juska, how is Zoltan going?

Return to “Fish and Aquaria - Aquatic inverts”