PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

6 footer

Fresh, Salt, & Pond fish. Aquatic inverts, jelly fish, shrimp, octopus, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BB

6 footer

Postby BB » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:40 am

I found this 6ft fish tank in the paper and as it turned out part of the deal was that I take the other two tanks as well!! So I ended up with another 4ft and a 3ft tank(which I think was used as a filter tank for a marine aquarium).
I ended up selling the 4ft tank since I've got one already and although it was a really nice strong tank I didn't have the space for it.
Anyway, I set up the 6footer the last couple of weeks, I put 100kg of gravel into it :!: (maybe a bit too much but I want to keep some Spiney Eels, they gonna thank me for it...)
I got some fish yesterday and before I put them in I checked the PH again - 7.6 !!!!
So obviously the gravel must make it alkaline and I gave it a water change to lower the PH (my bore water is on the acidy side) - and the fish are doing fine!
I couldn't believe that in all those things I keep for fish I only had a PH up!
I went down the river to find a nice piece of driftwood last week and could not find one bit. So I went down today again and found something useful. I guess the wood brings the PH down a bit too....
I will give it water changes until I get to the shop to get some PH down, I was just wondering if there is anything else I could do in the meantime to make it more acid?
mobayrasta

Postby mobayrasta » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:26 am

7.6 is pretty good. Water comes out of my tap at about 8.4. I have always found it a little easier to not use PH up or down. I have kept many fish that come from acidic waters (amazon) at this PH. I would not reccomend that with very sensitive fish like discus, but most fish adapt well.

If it is the gravel that is bringing the PH up make sure it is also not leeching other things into the water.

The really important thing is cycling the tank. Making sure you have no spikes when you add fish. I use pure ammonia. http://www.algone.com/fishless_cycling.php
BB

Postby BB » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks for the reply!
I used proper fish tank gravel, but because I used so much of it I guess when I washed it (before I put it in the tank) I didn't wash it enough so it takes a while to settle.
you are right, I don't think I will alter the ph. The fish are doing fine and I haven't had any casualties.
I've never had to use any ph up or down with my previous and current tanks as I always have access to bore or river water. So I might just give it a few more water changes then normal and see what happens...
Thanks again
Ragtatter

Postby Ragtatter » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:26 pm

If/when you do add a bit of driftwood, I would set it up in a bucket of water for a few months, and replace the water in the bucket weekly.

Wood tends to release pigments (I believe the correct term is "tannins") into water when it's submerged, and while they generally don't harm the fish at all, it can hurt visibility and actually stain the sides of the tank.

Soaking it for a good long while first can leech most of the tannins out of the wood, so that it won't affect visibility when it's added to the tank. :D
BB

Postby BB » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:25 am

I didn't soak the wood, but it didn't change the visibility. Thanks for the tip anyway, Ragtatter!
Just an update, the fish are doing fine, I haven't lost any. My Kribensis pair had eggs, but something ate them.....yes, it was my spiny eel! I did some research and found out about eels liking eggs and small fish...mhhh. I did design that tank to accommodate eels, so I might just put a divider in when the fish have eggs.
Anyway, they seem to do fine at ph 7.6, and I just keep up my water changes.
I want to get some more Neon's tomorrow, maybe a few Corydoras. I'll make my mind up soon to either stay with one eel or get some more.... :?
What do you think?
Ragtatter

Postby Ragtatter » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:45 pm

By neons, do you mean neon tetras?

I don't know much about spiny eels or how big they get, but a general rule of thumb with fish is that "If it can fit in my mouth, it's food."

;) You might not want to get too attached to any tetras you put in the tank; they might start to mysteriously "Disappear" on you.
BB

Postby BB » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:04 pm

:( Even without the eel I never had lasting luck with neon tetras, but they are pretty! I see if I can get some cardinal (tetras)...
The eel is about 4inches in the moment, I think those eels (peacock eel) can grow to 6-10 inches. I feed him bloodworm and shrimp as well, I hope that keeps his mind off the fish :roll: :lol: :?
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:00 am

I don't have any luck with neons, and its because my water is too hard for them, so if your tank is still running over 7, it could be a problem for neons.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:01 am

I don't have any luck with neons, and its because my water is too hard for them, so if your tank is still running over 7, it could be a problem for neons.
BB

Postby BB » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:45 am

I normally don't have neither, same with clown and kuhli loaches but everyone is doing fine in this tank. :bear
Even my spiny eel is behaving, well except eating the Kribensis' eggs he's not such a pain as I expected him to be...
I've attached a photo, the wood sunk by now and the fish are loving the new hiding space.
I've also found some Borneo suckers, they are really sweet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:50 pm

Your tank looks real good. If we are talking about the same fish, I love borneo suckers too. But also don't seem to have long term success with them. I don't know whether its because I haven't kept enough water movement in my tanks or because the plecos eat all the algae the suckers need. I also can't have a planted tank because the plecos keep uprooting everything. Aside from other fish what does the spiney eel eat? I have sand in my tank for the kuhli and horsefaced loaches, they love it.
If you're looking for color in your tank, I really like cherry barbs, they're a little larger than neons and once they get used to your tank the male are a bright iridescent red, nothing like they are in the store. Right now I'm over run with bristlenose plecos, they keep breeding and a few survive every time so they add up fast.
BB

Postby BB » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:29 pm

You might be right with the current thing for the Borneo's, the filter you see in the photo is very powerful (maybe too much) but the suckers love hanging on the back wall glass getting an air bubble massage :)
There is also another filter in the other corner, but it is much smaller...
I always drop in some algae tablets for the catfish but I leave some algae on the glass as well for them.
Bristle noses are banned were I live (not in whole Australia) I managed to score three about two years ago, one died, one looked so starved I put him into my 6000l fishpond and the other is in my 4 footer doing quite well. Unfortunately they were all male so I couldn't breed.
I feed the spiny eel frozen shrimp and bloodworm, I hope that is sufficient enough. I think he also nibbles on the algae tabs and maybe the flake food? ( oh btw, someone told me they are thinking of banning the eels too..)
I've heard cherry barbs are the least troublesome, but I just don't like barbs! I had some (tiger barbs) a long time ago, and they caused so much uproar in the tank, picking on fins of other fish and being a real pain so I decided never to have barbs again!! :roll: :lol:
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:48 pm

I don't care for most barbs either for the same reason, but the cherry barbs seem to be completely harmless. I have so many different "eaters" in my tank that I feed spirulana pellets, shrimp pellets,and tetra min tabs as well as flake food and frozen stuff and don't really know who eats what. I have a common pleco in my tank that keeps the algae under control, I hardly ever see the bristlenose on the tank walls.
Ragtatter

Postby Ragtatter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:08 pm

A plant you might consider to deal with the "plecos uprooting everything" problem is Elodea. (I've also seen it called "Anacharis", or "Canadian Water Weed")

It's a very fast-growing plant that doesn't need any special care aside from making sure the tank gets enough light, and it can survive both as a rooted plant, and a floating one, so the fish uprooting it won't hurt it one bit. It's also a very fast-grower that can propogate itself from just bits and cuttings, so it stands up pretty well to hungry fish, too.

The look of the plant also changes a bit with temperature. It looks more wispy and delicate in warmer water, and it gets very lush and bushy looking in cooler water.
BB

Postby BB » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:51 am

I don't think I've seen it over here. It is quite pretty.
I had a tank once where the plants just grew, it looked like an underwater jungle. I gave the tank away and since then I'm unable to grow lush plants in aquaria. :?
I've got fertilisers like Dinosaur piss (don't know if you can get it in the US, sounds like an Aussie name to me.. :) ) or do the old mix of water, sugar and yeast to get the plants their fix, but never to the same result...

Return to “Fish and Aquaria - Aquatic inverts”