PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Pond trouble

Fresh, Salt, & Pond fish. Aquatic inverts, jelly fish, shrimp, octopus, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BB

Pond trouble

Postby BB » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:35 pm

As you might have read in my Shhh topic I had a major problem with my large pond the other day. It starved of oxygen and all my fish where on top gasping for air. I lost two(well, three :roll: ) but I managed to save the rest. The pond is fine now as I done a water change and planted more waterlilies.
Anyway, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what I should do that this doesn't happen again? None of my other ponds, pots, bathtubs got any filtration and they are crystal clear and have their own ecosystem happening, but I'm not quite sure if I should put something into this one, so this is not happening again?
Someone suggested to me to put a hay bale in it(helps to keep the algae down), but then someone said it wouldn't work in my pond, it is done with lagoons or dams.
The idea I like most is to get a couple of air stones down as far as possible as my pond is very deep (I don't think my head would show if I stand in it, I posted photos somewhere on here)
My other step is to put a roof over it, so the sun doesn't make such a huge impact. And I really try to grow more lilies and other water plants.
I'm just not quite sure if it is really necessary to look into huge (and expensive) filtration systems, what do you think?
But then I think there are filter systems you can easily make yourself too.
By the way, the pond has a large pump, cycling the water through a small waterfall, but I didn't have it running every day. (which it is now though)
trish_clare

Re: Pond trouble

Postby trish_clare » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:48 pm

I don't have too much pond experience but my mom does so I asked her. She said your main problem is probably that you don't have enough plants in there. She had the same issue awhile back, and read that your pond should be covered about 80% by plants. She thinks you should try going to a plant nursery to pick up a lot more, doesn't need to be anything fancy like water lillies.
BB

Postby BB » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I think so too, as all my other ponds have about that percentage of plants, but this particular one houses goldfish, and it is very hard to keep plants alive with them in it. They also make a lot of waste, which really doesn't help the situation neither.
So your mother doesn't think I need a filtration system? The pond is 6000l (1585 Gallons) and deep. I try to find a photo and post it....
The last lot of lilies I bought and they got bitten off straight up - what a waste of money, but these ones now I got given by a friend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Do you have a pump with the filter? We use that. She has to clean it every two weeks or so, and has to buy new filters once every six weeks. Ponds are a very big pain.
BB

Postby BB » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:45 pm

I have a pump but no filter. Previously I've never really thought that ponds need a filter. Like you said if sufficient plants and aeration is there it should be ok.
I'm just not quite sure if I need more aeration since it is so deep and a filter because of messy fish...?
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:51 pm

I would give the filter and pump a try, it seems to work really well for ours. We had the same issue, and adding a filter and more plants is what we used to fix it. icon-smile You can get some cheap ones online.

If you are rich you could always buy http://www.pondfilter.com/pondaerators.aspx :lol:
BB

Postby BB » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:59 pm

:lol: that's exactly what I'm looking for,......but not the price..... icon_confused.gif :lol:

Return to “Fish and Aquaria - Aquatic inverts”