PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Raising Koi

Fresh, Salt, & Pond fish. Aquatic inverts, jelly fish, shrimp, octopus, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Raising Koi

Postby Ash » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:35 pm

Has anybody here ever raised koi fish? I've been researching them for several weeks, and I love them so much and find them fascinating. They also seem rather easy to keep and take care of.

Koi fish can be good investments, from what I've read. Obviously, it depends on where you get them, of course. Imports from breeders in Japan can really earn you some good money after 5-6 years. Even a koi fish from walmart after 5-6 years generally can sell for a little over $100.

I think it would be a lot of fun to have some. I hand fed them at a zoo once, and the water was just boiling with them! They were practically climbing each other out of the water to get the food. It was amazing, and just pure adorable-ness.

What type of pond do they need to be in? It doesn't sound like they need anything too complex. My grandfather owns a pond that has catfish and bluegill in it with an occasional snapping turtle. Of course, it isn't a super clean pond--it's quite wild--but would that be a decent environment for them? They sound pretty hardy.

I wouldn't want to be making money off of any of them--at least not until I get my own property with my own pond--so I wouldn't get expensive ones from breeding stock anytime soon. I would just like to try to raise several "normal" quality ones so I can see how much I really enjoy them.

So do you think my grandfather's pond would work at all, from what I've described?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Re: Raising Koi

Postby Alynn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:09 pm

I don't know much about koi, but I believe that they need a LOT of room.
You can keep them in tanks but it isn't recommended, but when you get one koi you should start with 100-150 gals, and then 50+ gals for each additional fish. That's what I've heard, at least.

But in general, they need a lot of room to thrive and grow. You can keep them in smaller tanks but it stunts their growth and is unhealthy.

Sorry, I wasn't much help. :nogif:
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:22 pm

I had koi that bred before. Had a pond that was 4 feet wide, 12 feet long, 4 feet deep. The parents were quite pretty but babies always ended up copper. Also got what seemed like koi/goldfish hybrids if that even possible.
BB

Postby BB » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:38 pm

I love Koi's. Unfortunately they are banned where I live. (they are allowed down south though)
Koi are from the family of the carp I believe. They need a lot of room and are very messy fish. Worse than goldfish, so an adequate filtration system is a must in a pond. unless you keep them in something huge with its own ecosystem, but even then they huge ponds overseas still have some sort of aeration pump.
I don't think you mentioned the dimensions of your grandfathers pond, Ash.
there is a website: www.aquavisor.com where you can put in all your specs like amount of fish and species, size and filtration and it will give you hints and advise of what to look out for.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks, everyone. :)

BB--The link takes me to a single page that is all in Spanish. Does it look like that to you at all?

The pond is a circle, and it has a diameter of 150 feet. So it has an area of 17662.5 square feet.

I read that they don't need to live in super deep water, and you need 100 sqarefeet per fish. So I guess in his pond, I could have... 176 fish?

I'm almost tempted to go out and buy a 10X10 pool and keep it in my living room with one fish. :)

The pond is man-made, but it has been left to its own devices for years, so it is very murky. You can't see down--only what's up near the surface. So would I have to have a filtration setup for it, and clean it all out first? How would I even go about cleaning a pond that size?

Thanks!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:19 pm

I'm pretty sure that koi can only be kept with other koi or maybe goldfish. They are quite aggressive; I've tried to keep them with catfish, platys and mollys... he killed all of them. Now I just have my one koi fish.
BB

Postby BB » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:20 am

HAha, that's funny...sorry about that - try www.aqadvisor.com
That is a pretty large pond, it may sustain itself with enough plants. I don't think Koi are nasty fish, I guess they are like Goldfish - if it fits in their mouths they eat it! But you are right Alynn, not really good with Mollies or Platies, but then again I keep my goldfish with Mollies and a wide variety of other tropicals, but I provide a lot of floating plants where the little ones can hide.
In your case I'd make sure the pond has enough plants (but if it is overgrown and crap get it cleaned first) get an aeration system like a fountain or waterfall and get a water test kit. (at least for pH, but better still would be one to test for ammonia, nitrate hardness...and so on)
Then get few fish and see how they go for a month or so(maybe not Koi - maybe something cheaper) . Do not overstock straight away. With fishtanks for example they have to go through a cycle before they are ready to get stocked with fish. I find ponds easier to maintain, and the fish seem to be happier.
I love your idea about the pool. At first I was like, what!!! 10m x 10m (sorry - metric girl here :lol:) but it still is a fair size to put in a living room.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Haha! :lol: Yes, 10 feet by 10 feet! That would have to be an ENORMOUS living room if it was in meters!

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out and look into the other things that you suggest. I'm going to my grandfather's later this week, so maybe I can test the water then and just see.

I can't put fish in it anytime too soon since I just found out that I have two little second cousins addicted to fishing down there. I'll talk to my grandfather though and find out if he would be cool with me putting in my own fish, and if I could maybe block off a section of the pond where I can keep my fish--so they won't get snagged on any hooks.

Thanks!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:03 pm

I saw this video the other day, and I though it was so cute! I showed it to my family, and they thought it was gross. I don't know why. It just looks adorable to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cwVeIVZY18
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Haha, I find that funny.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:27 pm

I spoke to my grandfather about it. I'm not going to try it in his pond. He wants to shock his pond and have it restocked with bass. I think then he'll have to allow the public to have access to it for five years to fish in before it becomes private again.

Still super interested in koi fish though. Almost tempted to go buy a plastic pool and set it up somewhere in the house. :lol:
BB

Postby BB » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:05 am

I think you should go for it, just make sure the tub (or whatever you are going to get) has cycled, test the water and maybe put some not so expensive fish in it first, to see if all is good.
Don't go overboard purchasing too many fish, especially Koi. You never know, you could even provide good conditions and they might breed!!!
Geez, you got me all excited now.....hope you go ahead with it! :bear:

Fish are like tattoos, once you get one you cannot get enough....
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:03 pm

"Fish are like tattoos, once you get one you cannot get enough...."

Haha! :lol: That made me lol.

I'll have to see if it would be feasible in my living situation. I could keep them outside and bring them inin during the winter. I read that they don't need a big amount of space during winter. Koi breeders say that a large bucket would be adequate if it was only holding the fish during winter time. We'll see! :mrgreen:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:16 am

A little late but good you didn't put them in the pond. Wild animals love to eat Koi snappers included. Crows kept taking my neighbors, herons of course, coons anything that will eat a fish. Really deep ponds help so they can hide down deep but people still lose them to wild critters. They put netting over them and all sorts of stuff but they tend to still find a way. Making one specifically for Koi will work better than trying to use a "wild" pond.

Return to “Fish and Aquaria - Aquatic inverts”