PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Ant Problems...

Tarantulas, Land Crabs, Insects, Scorpions, snails etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BlueBaby1023

Ant Problems...

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:11 am

This isn't so much a "how to care for this species", but I figured it would fit in this forum best. Well, for the past few months, I have been seeing ants roaming around here and there. Because I try to keep it clean in here despite all of the animals, they weren't really finding much other than the water that's out for the cats and dog. So I began leaving the water out in small amounts that would be consumed quickly to keep the ants out of it.

When it was just a few of them, I either smushed them or sprayed a soap/water mixture on them. I finally found a crack where they appeared to be coming in from and sprayed some soapy water on that as well. I hadn't seen them for almost a week when I finally discovered this latest horror.

My apartment is poorly lit with fairly small windows, so not much shows up on my black tv stand and other furniture. But I saw a couple shimmers in the light tonight and looked over. There was a trail of ants climbing all over my tv stand. I had no idea what they were after, so I sprayed all over, careful to keep the water off of my electronics only to discover...

They were in my cable modem! :red-face:

Like, a nest with eggs in my cable modem. Naturally, I unplugged it and killed all of the ants. But I'm afraid they'll return, and a quick google search says their acid can corrode the cables in the modem. I don't want to have to pay for the modem (it's a rental from Comcast) if they break it, so I'm wondering how in the world I can keep them out? :roll:

Other than the small crack, I can't tell where they're coming from. I know why they're inside where it's warm and dry while the rest of the western Oregon valley is being soaked with rain, but I want them gone. I can't really use open baits, the cats and dog get into everything.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ant Problems...

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:36 pm

Cinnamon is a good deterrent also mint mixed with lemon oil. They may have followed the cables into the house.

To make a safe bait mix equal parts powdered sugar(must be powdered) and baking soda. They can't fart or belch so when the soda hits their stomach acid they will die from boating. Wont hurt cats and dogs since they can belch, can hurt rodents and birds if you have those.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:25 pm

Plug up any entry holes the best you can. Also, remove any nests which are near your house. You can also try planting a perimeter of mints and/or other ant repelling plants against the house. If you have ant attracting plants/other near the house move them if you can.

We had ants in the kitchen when we first moved in and I don't remember doing anything other than removing an outdoor nest and sealing cracks. I'm sure we squished a few as well.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:19 pm

I will have to try the powdered sugar/baking soda mixture. I bought some "safe" baits to poison the next with granules, wherever their main nest may be.

I wish I could seal up cracks, because my apartment is full of them. Unfortunately, I can't, I don't own the property and we really aren't supposed to do any maintenance under our lease because they don't want tenants damaging the property or structure. We also aren't allowed to plant anything, we can only have potted plants. I may have to get a couple for my back patio.

The thing is, our cable modem isn't anywhere near the cable outlet. It's about 10ft away (in a 18ft living room area), and they don't seem to be coming in from there. The outlet is actually behind the cat litter box on top of our corner fireplace mantle, and they aren't into the cat litter, the cat food, or the water for my cats and dog anymore. :/
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed May 04, 2016 8:51 am

tis the season for ants icon-sad

about a month ago, I found a ton of them on my bathroom sink. I put baking soda down,then dumped vinegar of the b. soda.makes a toxic mix for most bugs. I let that mix sit on the sink, and all died and haven't seen any in there since.
also found the bigger ants on my kitchen counter. did the same there. I spread the mixture into the cracks, all gone now.

as for the cable holes or any type hole (depending on the size), you can try stuffing a little steel wool into the holes (put the baking soda mixture first,
then stuff all holes with the steel wool. if possible put duck tape over the steal wool. I do that for anywhere I see signs of mice or rats. not sure how well it works for ants.

last year, I found a ton a small holes at the baseboard, mice and rats can squeeze through very small holes, I did the steel wool stuff
and replaced some bad baseboards with cement board.

there should be outdoor with ant spray. might have to do that more than once.

why don't the land lord want you to fix any holes? sounds odd. I would think he would be glad you fix them :shrug:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “Invertebrates - insects, spiders, slugs, etc.”