ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Purple Pinchers

Tarantulas, Land Crabs, Insects, Scorpions, snails etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

Purple Pinchers

Postby minervasden » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:27 am

Here's my PP hermit crab tank. Thought I'd post them since in general hermit crabs are a mistreated lot. Plus I think everything has been posted about except the Bettas.

I wanted a climbing background on the back wall and a hemp climbing net on the right side, but these items I have to order online and their costs turned out to be a bit higher than anticipated. They will be future add ons.

There was a burlap bridge spanning the length but there have been some difficulties so I removed it for now. There are normally live spider plants in the front right. They are destroyed and replaced regularly, just the 'momma' plant doesn't have any 'babies' at the moment.

Mismatched sand due to each bag being a different shade. I'll be sure to mix different bags together first next time. The really dark on right side is Eco Earth/coconut coir

Some evidence that the cage is occupied
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Purple Pinchers

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:33 pm

Cute! I've always wondered about these guys as pets. I've seen them at the pet store and I've held them, but I guess I don't know much about their care. I see them often recommended as a beginner's pet--would you agree with that? I don't know how delicate/fragile they are, or if they are hardy and resilient or not.

How many are in there?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:18 pm

I looked into crabs briefly. There are some pretty ones you can get besides just the hermits. But it looks similar to keeping reptiles or frogs(minus UV lights) with the humidity and temp needs, if you do it right.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:21 pm

I would say it would be best if someone had prior experience with fish, herps or other inverts that need their environmental parameters carefully monitored. Achieving the proper humidity and ventilation balance can sometimes require a bit of tinkering. A dedicated beginner can do it, but only if they are using a quality resource such as The Hermit Crab Association. If you are purchasing everything new and especially if shopping at the pet store. Not the best pet for most children due to, in my experience, children not understanding and/or obeying that you don't unbury crabs only interact with those above ground.

Healthy, happy crabs are really curious and active. You can even hear them 'talk' to each other. It seems alot of people don't have high expectations and so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy with the crabs never reaching their potential.

There are currently 0.0.4 Pretty Princess, Tomas, Cruiser, and Shy. Naming duty is split and I'm only responsible for Cruiser. My crab sizes are Teeny through small and I am looking to add about another four. The local pet store is super horrid with their crabs so I have been watching craigslist. No luck yet. If I do go to the pet store I would get them on delivery day. Then I'd feel bad about giving them reason to order and mistreat more crabs.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:27 am

That's cool. I didn't know that. :)

That's a shame that most people don't give them the right care. Probably like bearded dragons--for dedicated beginners, but maybe even more dedicated. That's nice that they don't need UV, but I guess that makes sense that they wouldn't.

How often do you have to clean their cage? And can you house both sexes together?

Thanks for answering my question.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:07 am

You can have both sexes together. I haven't sexed mine because I haven't had opportunity to do so. You need to check for the presence or absence of 'gonopores' just behind the last pair of walking legs.
Gonopores=Female, No gonopores=male. The crab needs to be leaning out of the shell a bit to get a good look. It isn't vital to know so I don't make a special effort.

OH, about UV- Some people use it, some don't. Reactions are mixed. Some crabs seem to enjoy and even bask. Others run for the hills. It is a personal choice to make based on your crabs reaction. I haven't seen any research on diet related basking behavior as there is for some reptiles.

Spot clean daily/as needed. Same for furnishings. Change the top substrate layer (up to an inch deep)
when a spot clean just won't do. Full deep clean and fresh sand 1-2 per year. That's the schedule for my setup.

@Ash Your welcome and thanks for asking.

Edit: I just realized that in my post under TG's it should have read that 'Hermit crabs can be rather expensive to set up if you buy the supplies new and especially if you purchase the items at a pet shop."
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:35 pm

Those are awesome! I was going to get a few, but I got fish instead, after my friends grabbed her nose and had some trouble getting it off I decided not to (: (that's the real reason, it was funny though.
Those are some sweet decorations/things
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Interesting. I would have difficulty not laughing at someone with a crab on their nose :lol:
And thank you.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:38 pm

(that's the real reason.

I meant, (that's not the real reason)
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
MaryHurd

Postby MaryHurd » Thu May 05, 2016 9:27 am

So cute.