PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Desert Tarantula (Aphonpelma iodius)

Tarantulas, Land Crabs, Insects, Scorpions, snails etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Desert Tarantula (Aphonpelma iodius)

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Several weeks ago the neighbors brought me over a tarantula. The kids were really excited to show it to me, as were the parents. They had caught the tarantula in the small "mountains" near where we live, but had unknowingly injured it.

They were hoping I'd want to keep it as a pet, so I looked it over. Poor thing was losing LOTS of blood. One of its legs was in really bad shape, and it could not walk well. I told them I would take it and see if I could help it get better.

So I got some super glue and went to go put some glue on the wound. I didn't want to pull off the whole leg, just because I hadn't ever done this before, but as I was handling it and trying to put the glue on, the whole leg came off anyway. I went ahead and put a dob of super glue where the leg joined the body, and then put a teensy tiny little piece of a paper towel on top of the glue so that its other legs would not brush against the glue and get stuck.

As I mentioned, the tarantula had lost a lot of blood. I did not think it was going to make it, but they sure can surprise you.

Three weeks later, it's still here with me. :)

I did some research on it, and I believe it is a male--most likely out looking for female tarantulas when it was caught. He has spurs to hold the female during mating. So that, and the fact he was out and about lead me to believe it's a boy.

If it's a boy, he has less than two years to live, since he is mature. And he is probably around 7 years old. From my reading, it sounded like the males matured at 7-8 years of age, so that's where my guess comes from.

At any rate, after I knew he was in good condition, I put a small grasshopper in with him. I haven't disturbed him much, but I believe he did eat it. Will have to check and see.

He's active (most likely still looking for a mate), and I hope he'll be here with me for another year or two. We'll just have to see.

I still haven't decided on a name for him. Usually that's the first thing I come up with, but I wasn't sure if he was going to make it, so was the last thing on my mind. But now it's time to give him one!

PS Not sure if you guys remember about my dad's tarantula or not. But he's still with us too, but my family is starting to travel a lot, so they might be giving him to me. :) Might have two Ts by the end of the year!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Desert Tarantula (Aphonpelma iodius)

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:22 pm

That's great you were able to save him.

For future reference though super glue is not advised. Contrary to popular belief wound glue is different from super glue. Super glue when exposed to moisture, like blood and fluids from a wound, causes a chemical reaction that causes it to heat up and can cause a chemical burn. I suppose in this case it may have helped cauterize the wound, IDK.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:20 pm

a Tarantula :shock:

I thought they bit?
I like animals, but, that type is way out of my league. :lol:
the super glue was a quick thought.
wish you luck with your new pet, I have faith in you and know you will do the best you can.

TG,
Didn't know there was a different type of glue for wounds.
I have heard of people putting super glue on cuts :shrug:
I assume the vets use "wound glue"? can that be bought anywhere?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:22 pm

For tarantulas, I've always heard super glue being recommended by breeders and owners, so not sure if the other would have been better or not. It's what I had on hand, so I went ahead and used it. Will look into the other stuff, just in case.

Cauterizing the wound was what was important. Lots of times tarantulas can stop blood flow themselves, but he was bleeding a ton. It took a long time to find the glue, and after 30 minutes, he was still bleeding... :shock: He was very lethargic that day and the next. But then got spunky.

It was a neat experience to be a tarantula vet that night, lol. I always heard tarantulas had clear to blue blood, and it's true. :) Very cool to actually see. It was clear when it ran, but turned blue when it dried.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:29 pm

pat wrote:a Tarantula :shock:

I thought they bit?
I like animals, but, that type is way out of my league. :lol:
the super glue was a quick thought.
wish you luck with your new pet, I have faith in you and know you will do the best you can.

Thanks, Pat. :)

This species of tarantula doesn't bite. Even on the off-chance it did, the venom does not affect humans (just their prey). ;) Biting is not a form of defense for them. Instead they throw hairs off their abdomen with their back legs to irritate your eyes and nose.

I think it would be very hard to actually GET a tarantula bite from this species. The native species here in the US are all really nice.

It's some of the tarantulas in India and Africa that you need to worry about--not that they'll kill you either, but they are more aggressive, and their venom can cause muscle pain for up to a month! Not lethal by any means, but certainly not pleasant! lol
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:49 pm

Good job saving him. As for the super glue, yes it is what most tarantula keepers recommend/use. The thermal reaction is a problem when it was used on a large area small areas are usually ok. For small wounds I'm more concerned about the glue not being bacteriostatic than thermal reactions. In an emergency you use what's on hand icon-smile

If you are going to keeping rescuing animals and growing your collection, I'd definitely look into getting a good medical grade tissue glue to have on hand.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:33 pm

pat wrote:TG,
Didn't know there was a different type of glue for wounds.
I have heard of people putting super glue on cuts :shrug:
I assume the vets use "wound glue"? can that be bought anywhere?

Yeah anyone who's accidentally glued them selves with superglue has noticed it bonds skin real well so of course people liked the idea of using for wounds and that does work in am emergency but wounds tend to be wet and that causes the chemical reaction where it heats up and burns the flesh. So they worked on it and developed an altered version of the glue that wont do that and so can be used on wounds, though technically with mammals you want to still just get it on the skin around the wound then glue the wound together and not actually in the wound as if it's in the wound it's a barrier between the parts you want to heal.

Here's a quick history lesson on it
http://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/superglue/

Also this little tidbit: "This special superglue has some tiny threads in it that make it stronger, like fiberglass." about Dermabond.

Ash wrote:For tarantulas, I've always heard super glue being recommended by breeders and owners, so not sure if the other would have been better or not. It's what I had on hand, so I went ahead and used it. Will look into the other stuff, just in case.

Good to know there's precedent for it. I didn't know that. But, Yeah, hard to say if everyone does it cuz it's best or if everyone does it cuz everyone does it and haven't compared to trying the wound glues. Might depend on the situation some what, like with all the bleeding in this case the burning effect might have actually helped.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:26 am

Thanks, guys. :)

Yeah, I'd be interested in looking into the medical glue. You never know when an emergency may come up and you can't get to a vet. Would be interesting to know if it was better for the tarantulas.

I'm sure the super glue is what is used simply because that's always what has been used for spider injuries. Like you said, "if everyone does it cuz it's best or if everyone does it cuz everyone does it and haven't compared to trying the wound glues." I highly doubt anyone has compared the two products on tarantulas, but I'm sure the medical grade would be better since it's made for that purpose.

I do need to get an animal emergency kit together. So that's another thing to add to the list.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:04 am

Ash wrote:I always heard tarantulas had clear to blue blood, and it's true. :) Very cool to actually see. It was clear when it ran, but turned blue when it dried.
:shock: I didn;'t know that. I always panic when I see blood. but, with blue blood,
maybe I wouldn't panic.

I don't know anything about tarantulas. in my mind, they are big spiders. I dont like spiders.
I remember when I was a kid, I seen a tarantula climbing the house. really freaked me out.

very interesting though since you told me about them. I do give you so much credit for working with so many different
type animals. thats one way to learn about them, "hands on experience". I know you do whatever it takes to help them.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:01 am

Some updates with the little man.

Sadly, he has passed away. He was doing very well in my care, but when a male tarantula surfaces, he really doesn't have much longer to live. I read they could live up to 2 years after getting sexually mature, but that would be very unrealistic. He ate all the food I gave him, and then wore himself out as male tarantulas will do during this time of their lives.

So the little guy is gone. Was doing the spider "death ball" thing--legs all tucked in and under his body. It would have been nice if he had been here with me longer, but this wasn't unexpected.

At any rate, I think it's fair to say that he lived a good life for the last few weeks under my care. I am certain he would not have made it this long if I hadn't helped him out.

But this all just reinforces that I need another tarantula, lol. Hopefully the next time my parents or grandparents drive out to visit, they can bring Boris with them and he can have a happy home here.

Oh, on a side note, our conversation about "wound glue" came just in time. A bad situation came up at work, and we wound up needing it. Time will tell if it helps the animal, but it felt good knowing the differences between wound glue and superglue and being able to help during the situation.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:48 pm

That's too bad he didn't last longer but yeah sounds like his extended life was a good one.

Glad the info helped out.

Return to “Invertebrates - insects, spiders, slugs, etc.”