PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Mini-Ecosystem in a very Compact Space

Tarantulas, Land Crabs, Insects, Scorpions, snails etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TheBlizz

Mini-Ecosystem in a very Compact Space

Postby TheBlizz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Hey, I’m very interested in ecology and wanted to bring that into my house. Problem is, my parents don’t want some big bioactive reptile enclosure. Nor do they want fish. I have a small one-Gallon bowl just laying around, the only thing they’ll let me use. Tiny, yes. But it packs a lot of challenge for creativity. Does anyone know any plants and inverts I could put in this enclosure? Please give me some suggestions. Thanks! This is for terrestrial creatures mainly, but if you have a really cool aquatic idea then shoot it. The only problem is balancing parameters in such a tiny volume of water.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mini-Ecosystem in a very Compact Space

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:16 pm

That's a small space to house most things, but invertebrates could totally work. Have you thought about mantises? They don't live very long, but they're very beautiful and fun to keep and to watch. Spiders are also really cool pets. One gallon is probably a tad too small for a spider like a tarantula, so it would have to be other species of spiders.

A friend of mine keeps jumping spiders as pets and really likes watching them.

I'm not a big fan of centipedes or millipedes, especially since their venom can be harmful.

Oh. A scorpion could totally work. Black forest scorpions are really pretty. And you can shine a blacklight over them so they glow (don't do this too often, because it can be harmful after too much exposure). Maybe look into scorpions. They can be really great pets depending on the species.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TheBlizz

Postby TheBlizz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Thank you! I like Mantises, especially the Orchid ones. The main problem is their lifespan to me, since they can be a bit pricy for such a short-lived Animal. I also do have a bit of an obsession with Jumping Spiders. I’d be interested, I just don’t know where to get my hands on one. Do you know anything about that?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Invertebrate groups on facebook would be a great place to start. Or even spider groups specifically. There's many hobbyists out there selling bugs. I'm not usually interested in that sort of stuff though so I can't point you to any specific groups. But they should be relatively easy to find. I hope you can get your eco-system set up and get something put in there. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Invertebrates - insects, spiders, slugs, etc.”