PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Mollusks...but close enough! ^_~

Tarantulas, Land Crabs, Insects, Scorpions, snails etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

ScottishMiniZoo

Mollusks...but close enough! ^_~

Postby ScottishMiniZoo » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:38 pm

Hey everyone!

I was going to beg Pat for a snail topic, but realized I would be the only one posting there so here is fine! Just wanted to share some snaily dealings ive had going on. First off, because I am moving to Scotland I will have the ability to adopt some really unusual and beautiful snails that are illegal in the USA. Remember the Giant African Land Snails? Yep, I can get them, yahoo! I plan to get a Tiger GALS when me and John get our own place, they are the biggest land snail in the world! :mrgreen:

ImageImage
Tiger Snail - Giant African Land Snail

In the mean time, what's up? Well, I adopted two lovely baby Brigs as they are nicknamed, a species of "Apple Snail" as they are commonly called, my shop called them "Mystery Snails" another name I hear. lol. This species comes in a lot of beautiful colours: purple, red/pink, brown, olive green, light blue, yellow, and white/ivory. I adopted a purple and olive green one. :mrgreen:

Awwwwwww, wee babies!!!

As you can see by the white on their shell they have some corrosion due to either a too low pH or lack of calcium, or both really. I am in the process of buffering my water with some crushed coral and when I get to Scotland I am ordering some liquid calcium from my buddy Daz who has an invert shop to mist them daily. It does wonders for the land snails, I betcha it will do wonders for my babys here too! :mrgreen:

Right, moving on. I found some eggs of the same species at the shop today. Of course I took them home! I am in the process of trying to hatch them, should know in the next 3 weeks max.

Oooooh, what colours shall I see??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh, and the best part! Actually....that's a secret! I will share when I adopt them. Muhahaha! All I will say is they are a very special (and hard to come by!) land snail. :mrgreen:
Image I love Muntjac Deer! ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:07 am

neat. The eggs aren't totaly covered do you need to turn them to keep them moist?
ScottishMiniZoo

Postby ScottishMiniZoo » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:43 am

HyzenthlayForesight wrote:neat. The eggs aren't totaly covered do you need to turn them to keep them moist?

Funny enough, even though they are aquatic snails, they lay their eggs outside of the water and their eggs would actually drown if I kept them underwater! Odd, huh? I have them in a little temporary nursery that is keeping them just wet, but not damp or soaked. They are on a little cap floating in a cup of water with a bit of plastic rubber banded on top to keep the moisture inside the cup. I get them a wee bit wet twice a day and make sure some air gets inside as well. :mrgreen:

Glad I got at least a "neat" out of you! Im the only snail enthusiast here I figured out! :roll:
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:06 am

I see those giant african land snails at reptile shows sometimes. I guess the people buying ans selling them like to live dangerously ;)
Tiffany
ScottishMiniZoo

Postby ScottishMiniZoo » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:52 am

Yes very ;) But I can't blame them, they're wonderful! And snail keeping is one of the most inexpensive as well as rewarding hobbies in existance! :mrgreen:
Kastrophee

Postby Kastrophee » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:01 pm

OH MY GOD that snail is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!
prk22

Postby prk22 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:16 pm

Scottishminizoo:

Aren't the sludge from some snails being used in medicine, and for finding new drugs to help cure cancer?

Do you know anything on this topic of snails?
~Pätrick

Return to “Invertebrates - insects, spiders, slugs, etc.”