PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Butterflies ---

Tarantulas, Land Crabs, Insects, Scorpions, snails etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

eaglesWR7

Butterflies ---

Postby eaglesWR7 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:44 pm

Im about to install a pond in my backyard and i have many plants im going to need to get. Anyone have a clue what are the best plants for the butterflies i want to put in there? I live in Northern Florida if you need to know moy climate. Also, are there any online stores for butterflies or caterpillars? Thanks!
Currently Owning: 1 Florida Snapping Turtle , 1 Mississippi Map, 1 Yellow Bellied Slider, and one chocolate Min Pin
FrothingMagpies

Re: Butterflies ---

Postby FrothingMagpies » Mon May 07, 2012 11:38 pm

Try: http://www.wwb.co.uk/
It says they ship globally, but tbh, I think I'd look for somewhere closer to where you live, you'd have a better survival rate & the shipping would be cheaper I'd imagine ;)

I'm dying to order some though! Especially Indian moon moths, Luna moths (kinda the same thing) & death's head hawkmoths :D
BB

Postby BB » Tue May 08, 2012 9:37 am

I know in Europe there is a plant called "butterfly tree" It is a scrub with blueish purplish flowers which seems to attract butterflies. Or you could research the natives around your area.
I'm interested in the progress of your pond, so please keep us updated. What kind of fish are you stocking the pond with?
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Tue May 08, 2012 1:06 pm

BB

Postby BB » Tue May 08, 2012 5:29 pm

Yes, it looks like it. The colour varies from dark blue to light purple. I honestly don't know about it attracting moths, but if you like to keep it I'm sure if you just give it a good prune and a little care it will come back.
Just thought of it....if you intend to keep fish in your pond, they'd like the moths.. icon-smile
Ciaobella

Postby Ciaobella » Tue May 08, 2012 9:16 pm

FrothingMagpies wrote:Try: http://www.wwb.co.uk/
It says they ship globally, but tbh, I think I'd look for somewhere closer to where you live, you'd have a better survival rate & the shipping would be cheaper I'd imagine ;)

I'm dying to order some though! Especially Indian moon moths, Luna moths (kinda the same thing) & death's head hawkmoths :D

Nosey ness got the best of me and I was looking at the website. They are GORGEOUS! If I wanted butterflies I'd definitely go to them.
Was Cierpke, lost password xD
BB

Postby BB » Wed May 09, 2012 9:21 am

Oh, I totally overlooked the link. I remember someone who ordered quite a lot of butterflies for their wedding. Had to keep them chilled until ready, then thawed and released :shock:
Ciaobella

Postby Ciaobella » Wed May 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Woah BB, didn't know that was possible (?)
Was Cierpke, lost password xD
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu May 10, 2012 2:52 pm

@BB Yes, I think I've heard of people doing that with butterflies before! I think the ones I heard of were drugged/gassed to make them dopey and lethargic, but OI was told this from someone who wasn't really that interested in the butterflies & was a little wierded out by how much i liked them xD

I'll try pruning it so! Might have to wait until after summer though so I don't cut away new growth.

@Ciaobella I know, I have to exercise great self control & not be too greedy with moth larvae now xD

Return to “Invertebrates - insects, spiders, slugs, etc.”