PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Madagascar hissing cockroaches. Pics posted!! :)

Tarantulas, Land Crabs, Insects, Scorpions, snails etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

malane3

Madagascar hissing cockroaches. Pics posted!! :)

Postby malane3 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi. I just ended up with a tank full of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. There are four adults and 48 babies. Anybody on here have any experience with these? Anybody interested in a baby? Lol. They're really cool. I've only seen them on tv. I'll post pictures in the next couple days. :D
Edit: Pics below. ;)
Last edited by malane3 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
malane3

Pics

Postby malane3 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:17 am

Here are some pictures of the hissers. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BB

Postby BB » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:30 am

Wow they didn't look that big in the first picture! But seeing them in your hand :shock: well, they are a "handful" :lol:
So they actually hiss? What do you feed them?
malane3

Postby malane3 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:06 am

They are huge! Yes they really hiss. :) I have one grumpy male that throws a fit when I pick him up and just screeches. Lol. I have video of them posted on YouTube if you want to hear them hiss. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/malane3
They'll eat pretty much anything. Dry dog food is usually kept in the tank at all times. They also love fresh fruits and veggies. They're eating a piece of pizza crust in the video. :)
BB

Postby BB » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:52 am

Quite fascinating!! How did you ever get a hold of them...?
We've got some beetles here when you pick them up they make some weird noises too.
That gives a new meaning to the "hissy fit" :lol:
faster

Postby faster » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:44 pm

I lived in Florida for 30 years so the last thing on earth I'd ever want is a really big Cockroach ( we have millions, we actually try to get rid of them)! hey but thanks for askin'
malane3

Postby malane3 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:12 pm

Quite fascinating!! How did you ever get a hold of them...?

We went to a pet store looking for fancy rats and saw them stuffed on the bottom shelf behind some snake tanks. I recognized what they were and asked how much. He said he'd give me one for free or I could take the whole thing for $5. They were selling them originally for $9.99 a piece! He said they stopped selling and he doesn't want them anymore. Well, the reason they stopped selling is because the pet store is disgusting! It's the first time I'd been to that store in about 8 years. In that time they have moved 3 times and I had lost track as to where they were. They had dirty cages, "purebred" dogs that were obviously from puppy mills and didn't even look like the breed they were supposed to be. Their guinea pigs were on sale, so I checked one out and it had serious injuries and was bleeding, so was the other one in his pen, and the guinea pigs in another pen. Some animals were mislabeled as different animals and it just made me sick. We were going to boycott them and turn them in but when I discovered the roaches, I bought them knowing that they would most likely be thrown out. Their bedding was molded, they had no water, and their food dish contained moldy dog food. There were dead babies littering the bottom of the tank. It was an awful place. :cry: We are in the process of filing a complaint against the store.
the last thing on earth I'd ever want is a really big Cockroach ( we have millions, we actually try to get rid of them)!

Lol. That's kinda the same thing my boyfriend said when I got them. He said "all the money I've spent trying to kill cockroaches, you're spending money to bring giant ones into your house!" What was ironic is we went into the store with the intention of buying one "pest" and came out with another! :lol: I've just always been fascinated by them and felt so bad for these. They're not like the normal roaches we have here.
faster

Postby faster » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm w/ your boyfriend on that one lol
Tracie

Postby Tracie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:13 pm

EWWWW!! :? They are so big!!!1
Current Critters: 1 Ferret, 2 dogs, 1 cat, about 40 fish, and 2 rats. Future goal: A fox.
Cellardoor

Postby Cellardoor » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:33 pm

very cool :)! i live in a hotel that i work at, i dont think the owner would appreciate me bringing roaches IN otherwise i would get one from you!

-Hutch-
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:16 am

just an idea but these guys are often bred as a food item. I am sure your foxes would really enjoy one once in a while. My fennec LOVES them.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:18 am

No offense, but I personally have no idea what the attraction is with getting these guys or any other insect as pets... I mean, I don't find them "Eww! :eek: Disgusting! AH!", and I actually studied them for three years in science olympiad..but I would not want to have one as a pet. I suppose they may be fascinating to watch...but you really can't get any interaction with them, can you? ..Well, my aunt used to breed these as well- so I tried to pick one up one time to take it out, but, well, of crouse, it hissed, :lol: , so my instint reaction from something hissing is that I'm hurting it or dis-pleasing it, so I dropped it (like an inch), because I guess I was afraid or something (this was a while ago). But anyways...with all of them, it did kind of give me the "creepy-crawly" feel, and I just didn't really like them. May I ask why you enjoy them? :)
Although, one time, actually I think it was last year - I visited my brother at college, and he works in a lab, and the guy who owns the lab has a giant pet millipede there...so on the last day, I actually got to hold it, and it was kind of cute- at first it was just in the curled-up defensive position, but then he got more comfortable, un-rolled, and then started crawling on me a bit, and I guess I actually did think it was cute. ...So, really, I don't know what my problem is with Madagascar hissing cockroaches... as for others, I guess I just feel they're too small... ? :? Bler.... sorry about that...it wasn't all related, I was just kind of rambling my thoughts..Haha.

And Lasergrl - Really? To me they seem like they would be a little to big, but I guess they eat some rodents and stuff as well, so I guess they'd be able to eat a large insect. Hah. ...How often to you give them to them?
I wonder how it would taste...... Well, my hamsters eat spiders often, so I guess it can't be that bad. Hah. ;)
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
ShyVulpine

Re: Madagascar hissing cockroaches. Pics posted!! :)

Postby ShyVulpine » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:01 am

Those are very cool. I want a roach colony when I move out. LOL!

This guy's so weird but funny. "Yeah, it's a cockroach." X-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qweYXIjl_pQ
Pets : tarantulas (6), Chinese water dragon, border collie/mix and a miniature doberman, 3 blue-and-gold macaws and a ringneck parakeet.
Future Goal : Collecting more tarantulas.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:21 pm

I love hissers. Wish I could have one or two! My friend's dad had a bunch of them and we would play with them every time I came to her house. They're one of very few bugs I can stand, and actually love :lol:
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
BB

Postby BB » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:27 am

I bet your rats like that idea too! :mrgreen:

Return to “Invertebrates - insects, spiders, slugs, etc.”