ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hermit crabs/Plants

Tarantulas, Land Crabs, Insects, Scorpions, snails etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

Hermit crabs/Plants

Postby minervasden » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:49 pm

What plants (if any) are suited to growing(potted or unpotted) in a hermit crab habitat. Species of hermit crab to be known later date and of course the plant needs to safe for crabs.

I am not so great with plants and my versian of planted terrariums is simply replacing dead plants.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
minervasden

Re: Hermit crabs/Plants

Postby minervasden » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:04 pm

Better late than never I guess.

Most hermit crabs won’t let live plants live. They’ll eat, climb, shred and generally destroy them. They enjoy plants however and it is good enrichment for them. Also, the cage climate is not suited for long term health of many plant species.

It is very important that fertilizers and pesticides have not been used on plants hermit crabs come into contact with. If, for example, you are purchasing a new spider plant at a nursery remove it from the pot, rinse all the soil off including the roots and re-pot in a clean pot with new untreated soil. Wait four months for any additives to cycle out before using.

Decorative
If your main desire is plants for decorative purposes air plants and spider plants are the best bets. Air plants make an attractive addition to any area of the enclosure no soil or pot needed.
Spider plants are common and , as they have ‘babies’, it is easy to keep a supply of new plants ready to go. Just pluck the babies as they appear and place in a container of water until roots appear. You can allow them to get as large as you wish before planting in the cage. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/spider-plant/spider-plant-care-gardening-tips-for-spider-plants.htm

Food and General Enrichment
Best planted in plastic pots to be added and removed from tank as needed. This is a short list of easiest to grow.
Loose leaf lettuce grown from seed
Clover, dandelion, wheatgrass, alfalfa offer as sprouts or allow the plants to grow
Start a pineapple top makes a great sturdy climber. Can plant in tank. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/children/planting-pineapple-tops.htm
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you

Return to “Invertebrates - insects, spiders, slugs, etc.”