PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Why!?

Tarantulas, Land Crabs, Insects, Scorpions, snails etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why!?

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:49 pm

I just found out that my autistic sister is deadset on getting my dad a tarantula for his birthday tomorrow. No! Why couldn't it have been a snake? Or a lizard? Who wouldn't want a bearded dragon? What about a cockroach? Or a mammal? But noooo. It has to be a tarantula!

At least they're super easy to care for. But they live 15 years! (assuming there are no unfortunate accidents... mwhahaha...) I do not like spiders very much, nor does anyone in my family except for my dad and my sister.

When I go home I'll have to try to get used to the bug...

I have some questions for people who like tarantulas: are they nice? will they bite? do they seem less "spider-ish" since they're bigger?

I'm wanting my mom to convince my sister to get him a snake instead... Then at least I could take it with me when I move back to Utah in the fall. Except my sister has already picked out the tarantula at the petstore. :shock:

(in case you guys are worried about the tarantula: no worries. It will be loved and well-cared for... It will become a member of the family--but I don't know if I will ever like it! :lol: )
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
BB

Re: Why!?

Postby BB » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:55 am

yeah, I feel sorry for you, but hey, he likes them - and it his birthday!
I bet you get all cuddly too with it in time... :hin:
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Ash,

I would recommend a Rosie Hair Tarantula as a good starter or first species pet :mrgreen: . I am NOT a spider person at all. But the Rose Hair Tarantula I had for about ten years was very easy to handle. I even took her to elementary schools for young children to see.

She was "sweet" meaning she never bit me. She ate five to seven crickets a week. Along with a cave for hiding her environment had moist cotton balls for drinking. I also used sand as a substrate in her cage.

Here are some care links on Rose Hair Tarantula:

http://lllreptile.com/info/library/anim ... tarantula/

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html (Much more informative if you ask me :lol: )

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/G-rosea.html (Nice easy reading and helpful)

Lastly I think it is great that your sister likes spiders. I would much rather have a spider then that puppy you got her :mrgreen: . But I am a weirdo.

Hope that helps and if you need any clarification please let me know.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks for your information and your condolences, lol. I'm not sure the species of tarantula he/she is. We don't know it's gender, but we "voted" it was a boy. :lol: My Dad was debating between the names: Boris and Ronald Reagan. :lol: :lol: He chose Boris because of the song "Boris the Spider." <---good song, by the way.

My Dad likes it, so now I feel better about the whole thing. And it didn't look as creepy as I thought it would (over Skype, at least...). I'll have to meet "him" when I go home in a couple of weeks. :shock:
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:27 pm

My dad had a Mexican Red Knee when I was a kid. Its name was Bud. Very nice, my dad would sneak up behind me and put it on my head or my shoulder and scare the heck outta me :roll: Good thing I wasn't skiddish as a kid!
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:12 pm

I went to the petstore and visited some tarantulas to see what I thought of them. They actually don't seem too bad since they move quite slowly.

I suppose I'm terrified of long-legged insects ever since a "traumatic" event in my childhood. But if they move slow and not fast, then I think I could be okay with handling Boris.

We shall see.......
BB

Postby BB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:28 am

I'm glad you didn't have a heart attack "monkshock: I'm pretty sure you'll develop a nice relationship with Boris over time! :mrgreen:
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Are you comfortable elaborating on this 'traumatic' event? I'm curious
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:35 pm

:lol: The "traumatic" event was when I was like ten maybe?. I LOVED bugs so much--especially walking-stick bugs. My mom and I were visiting someone whose son (about my age) was keeping one as a pet. They got it out and I was so excited to hold it. Don't know how it happened, but I let the stickbug crawl inside my sleeve. It freaked me out because I didn't want to squish it and I could feel it moving all around inside my clothes. I had to hold still because I didn't know where it was inside my clothes because after a while it stopped moving. My mom and the lady are afraid of bugs, so they didn't know how to help me--and I was just so freaked out. In short, my mom was lifting up my clothes carefully, trying to find it. For a little kid I was so embarrassed because the boy (who was my age, maybe older) was the one who had to pick it off me and I was embarrassed that he could see my under garments as my mom was lifting up my clothes. :shock: I was so freaked out and embarrassed by the experience that it made me hate bugs with long legs, weird as that may sound. :lol: I can touch and hold stickbugs now, but I'm always so paranoid they're going to get in my clothes again! I suppose my "fear" of Boris is not because he's a spider. Spiders are cool. I "fear" him because I don't want to be holding him and have him run into my sleeve! :lol:
BB

Postby BB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:22 pm

Oh, I can feel for you.
My mother scared me with all sorts of bugs when I was a kid, so i was petrified of them touching me.
I did like watching them, but far away...
It was that bad I couldn't even go through a butterfly house :shock:
Moving to Australia, especially into the bush cured all that. Australia is not the place if you are scared of bugs. So I just got used to it....
I can pick up anything, and anything can crawl around my body without me freaking out.

I guess the only tip I can give you in you case is: wear sexy lingerie in case someone has to lift your clothes up again! :mrgreen:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:53 pm

lol :lol: Not sure that would have been a good thing for a ten year old to do! :lol:
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi Ash,

To the best of my knowledge and memory female tarantula are larger then males. In some cases significantly larger. But that depends on the species.

If you can post some photo's I will gladly help you identify the species of tarantula Boris is. Also what is dear Boris eating?

Just so you know a tarantula can move quite quickly when frightened. But the calmer species such as Rose Hairs do not spook/get frightened very easily. Also regular handling of certain species can help to keep them "tame". While handling other species is not advised.

Lastly do tell me how your first meeting with Boris goes :mrgreen: . I am sure "she" is much prettier in person then on Skype.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Boris is a rose-haired tarantula, so that's good to know that he has a tendency to be calmer. icon_biggin.gif My dad used to catch wild tarantulas in California and keep them as pets when I was little. I liked them then, so maybe I'll like them now? I hope so!
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Fri May 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi Ash,

How are you and Boris getting along :lol: ? Is Boris a nice calm fella :lol: ?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon May 09, 2011 2:01 pm

Haha... So far I've just stared at Boris and have tried to take pictures of them--but most come out blurry. I could hold or pet him (haven't yet), but I'm worried if he moved or twitched I might fling him or startle and drop him. :shock: Don't want to break the little guy apart, lol.

He lives next to "Donatello"--a tiny aquatic frog that my sister is keeping as a pet. They don't notice one another at all. Go figure!

I'm coming to like Boris though. His hairy little legs are starting to look cute! If he turns out to be a girl though, I would prefer he shave. :lol:

Return to “Invertebrates - insects, spiders, slugs, etc.”