PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Anyone ever owned a Praying Mantis?

Tarantulas, Land Crabs, Insects, Scorpions, snails etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Anyone ever owned a Praying Mantis?

Postby Laughing Hyena » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:41 am

I used too as a kid until it just died from old age or something and my science teacher used to have two of them and she accidently put a female and a male together and the female ate the male Praying Mantis! Personally I think Praying Mantises are the most popular bug kept as a pet.
Splashstorm

Re: Anyone ever owned a Praying Mantis?

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:44 am

They sound interesting, but I've never owned any.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
bailee

Postby bailee » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:07 am

I had one for a while when I was young (over six years ago). It stuck around even when outside (I would carry it around and show it off to my friends!) and it was so fun to watch eat crickets and stuff... until it 'chewed' on my hand.. yeah I released it after that (it was from the wild anyway) and I've been terrified of them ever since.
    Sabriel (rabbit - male)
    Silas (rabbit - male)
    Solara (rabbit - female)
    Natasha (cat - female)
    Pepper (cat - female)
    Kiba (dog - male)
    Lady (dog - female)
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Wow, i'm glad i've never been bit by one. I've never even seen one in my life!
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:09 pm

I used to keep some mantis with my orchids, to make sure no bugs came a munching on my precious plants. They are wonderful insects to be honest, I've really enjoyed keeping them.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
DeeJay

Postby DeeJay » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:06 am

I know this topic is probably long dead, but I thought I would share information with anyone interested. I've kept lots of praying mantids from Sphodromantis to Paykulli, Taiwanese Flower, Texas Unicorn and a couple others. They are amazing to raise and breed (if unfortunately short lived). If anyone's interested in information on husbandry or available breeders I can try to help out?
Herbst

Postby Herbst » Fri May 03, 2013 1:07 pm

DeeJay wrote:I know this topic is probably long dead, but I thought I would share information with anyone interested. I've kept lots of praying mantids from Sphodromantis to Paykulli, Taiwanese Flower, Texas Unicorn and a couple others. They are amazing to raise and breed (if unfortunately short lived). If anyone's interested in information on husbandry or available breeders I can try to help out?

You should make a word or notebook document on all the mantis stuff you know (or can think of at the moment) and link it up here like they do with lion and tiger manuals. I know I would greatly appreciate it. Also, where do you find your mantises? I live in Pennsylvania and I usually only find breeders because of random things, like we meet at a party and just happen to start talking about insects.

Return to “Invertebrates - insects, spiders, slugs, etc.”