NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Love to help people with horse questions!

Zebra, Horse, Onager , Donkey, Kiang, Quagga Anything in this family

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Cowgrl101

Love to help people with horse questions!

Postby Cowgrl101 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:18 pm

I have about 7 years experience with horses! If anyone has any questions I'd be glad to help!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Love to help people with horse questions!

Postby Ash » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks for the offer. I don't know much about horses, but I am interested in learning about them. They are beautiful creatures, and I took riding lessons when I was young. They seem like too much upkeep to me though, and like they need a lot of space.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Cowgrl101

Postby Cowgrl101 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:28 pm

They are a lot of work and space but it's all worth it when you finally master a gait or when you get that happy neigh when they see you!
prk22

Postby prk22 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:02 am

Actually I would like to network and facilitate a conversation about horses' inter-species behavior. In relation to cattle- is there a tried and true method for blending a pasture harmoniously (without the horses bullying?) In your opinion, is this a quality that will be lost once they pass adolescence?
~Pätrick
Cowgrl101

Postby Cowgrl101 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:23 pm

I think the main thing in integrating them with other animals is do it slowly and if the horses are cowy let them know that when in the pasture the cattle aren't to be messed with. Which is somthing you can start by puttin a cow in a round pen and bringing the horse inside on a rope halter. Any time the horse goes to harass the cow give them a bump on the nose with the halter
AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:15 pm

Ok, question. :) I have a 2yr old Philly and an 8 yr old stallion. I would like to get a foal from the two when she turns 4, but until then, I need figure something out so they can co-exist. I am looking into the Hormone implant to supress her heat cycle. Can you tell me anything about that?
Badger

Postby Badger » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:00 pm

I know this is an old post, but I'm a new member and this interested me. Regards to prk22 post, our horses run in a big pasture with our cows. In our home pasture they also do. But when calving starts, we remove them. And really unless you have he facilities to separate them etc right up near calving they should be separated bcs they will dominate for the best feed. Some horses have a personality that is not conducive to being permanently wi cows. We have about 20 or so horses at any one time with our cows and I think that alone helps with that bcs they have each other. Horses will also sometimes chase down calves if they find something abt a calf that they don't like. I've seen and heard of horses killing calves this way. So every situation is different. Some horses will just never make a good cow horse and that is that.

Return to “Equines - HORSES, DONKEYS, ZEBRAS”