PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Jumping Neck Rope

Zebra, Horse, Onager , Donkey, Kiang, Quagga Anything in this family

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Strikit

Jumping Neck Rope

Postby Strikit » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:38 pm

I did jumping in one of my horsemanship classes and the instructor used what he called a neck rope on the horse, kind of as a handle to use to make sure we didn't fall off. I tried looking it up on horse.com but all I found was calf roping neck ropes and I'm not sure whether it's the same thing or not. I want one to use because I ride bareback a lot and I want to move to brideless as well with my horse, but I would like to still have that kind of as a hand hold.

Where can I find a neck rope? And if it's not really called that, what is it really called?
My kids:
Navi - Border Collie
Lucy - Domestic Longhair

Artemis - Manx/Domestic Shorthair
Bandit - Quarter Horse/Thoroughbred
hecate

Re: Jumping Neck Rope

Postby hecate » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:49 pm

It's not necessary to buy them. I just buckle a stirrup leather around my horses' necks.

I think a lot of the special equipment various popular trainers promote and sell is more about the trainer's bottom line than the horse.
DeweysMom

Re: Jumping Neck Rope

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:44 am

I agree with hecate - WHAT you use is pretty inconsequential to HOW you use it, and the equipment these clinicians sell pretty much is to line their pockets. I've seen people have success using a leadrope, 8' reins, etc. Personally, I would likely use something of smaller thickness - along the lines of what a lunge whip is, but experiment! What works for others may not work for you and your horse.

I think it's funny that people will spend $50 on a certain clinician's 'catch rope' when all you need is a simple length of mid-weight cording or even a length of baler twine! :lol: Both fit nicely in your pocket and cost substantially less!
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Equines - HORSES, DONKEYS, ZEBRAS”