PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Dire situation here.

Zebra, Horse, Onager , Donkey, Kiang, Quagga Anything in this family

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

AzureWolf

Dire situation here.

Postby AzureWolf » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Anyone have an ideas on how to get a horse that wont swallow to swallow? Its life or death here. IV's will only do so much. I have to get her antibiotics in her. That are tablets, not liquid. I have been crushing them the best I can and making a paste with applesauce and peanutbutter. The vet can only do so much. I can gavage smaller mammals but im not experienced enough to gavage a horse. Please if anyone has any suggestions.
Nicophorus

Re: Dire situation here.

Postby Nicophorus » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:08 pm

Force a tube down her throat.
AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:13 pm

That's a gavage, which is what I am not comfortable enough to do with her. Dint want to get anything in her lungs. horse throats are a little different. I'm almost to the point of trying it thogh if I can't find another method.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:33 am

is there a farm vet that will treat her? if she is really sick, she might need an injection of antibotics.

don't know anything about horses. only donkeys and cattle. but, can you try those apple treats that come in squares. ( I buy them for my steer) if she likes those treats, maybe you can put the antibiotic in the treat. these treat are hard, maybe you can drill a hole to insert the pill :shrug:

another idea, can you break the antibiotic up into small pieces and mix in a small amount of hay?

when my donkeys and steer eat these treat, it is one bite, and it is eaten.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:53 am

She has encephalitis. The vet said it doesn't look so bad on paper. I have been crushing the pills up and making a paste with applesauce and peanut butter. Its just getting her to swallow. I have pumped IV's into her. I just got home from work and was able to get her to drink some water! :D and Today she seems a lot more stable when she stands! Its the first bit of improvement in days! im excited. No vets near other then the one we use and he has done all he can. Its really up to her. I just didn't know if someone might know something that I can mix the pills with that will induce swallowing.
AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:25 pm

Day 4. With EEE Or eastern encephalitis, by day 4 she should be down and gone for the most part. Mortality rate for this is 90%, they usually dont make it past day 4. Today she has actually improved for the first time! She was walking and showing balance and strength in her step, this is a good sign. The vet has done all he can and im doing all I can. Kaylah may pull through this! Miracles happen everyday. She has a warriors heart.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:59 am

like I said, I don't know much about horses...
I can ask my neighbor, she raises horses and has had them for years.

another thing you can try, is crushing the antibiotic and mix a little water in it.
put the mixture in the syringe, and squirt it in at the side of her mouth.

I have done that for llamas. if it is put far enough back in her mouth, she will swallow it.
maybe put a little of something she likes in the mixture:shrug:

I dont know anything about the health issue you spoke of. but, it sounds as though if she made it to day 4 it is encouraging .

also, I think you can use the injectable antibiotics (usually sold at farm stores) or maybe your vet will give you some. you can give that orally with a syringe.

hope she pulls through. how old is she?

don't give up, long time ago, I had a llama that was completely paralyzed,
here is the story on her. (look at the info on Becky, second llama down)
http://sybilsden.com/llama/llama1.htm

hope your horse pulls through. I know how attached we can get to our animals...

keep us updated...

AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:09 am

!!! I was able to get some food in her last night finally and in no time she was eating on her own for the first time in days! Now she is drinking and grazing on her own! I think we are going to be ok! It was scary there for awhile.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:26 am

:peng: so glad to hear she is doing better. I know you took the best care you could.

some people might of just put the horse down in that situation. but, it never hurts to try to get them better.... and you did... great job...

AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:32 am

I had the vet on the way at one time to put her to sleep, I couldn't watch her suffer, but she showed me a small sign and I canceled and now I am glad I did. She is a fighter and its all her, I was just a bumbling fool that would not leave her alone.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:25 pm

It's nice to hear some good news.
AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:30 pm

Thank you guys for your positive words. Its been a rough week. She is now eating, drinking and grazing on her on still, she shows more alertness and strength every day. I am SO proud of her. One hell of a horse. :D

Return to “Equines - HORSES, DONKEYS, ZEBRAS”