PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Horse Whisperer

Zebra, Horse, Onager , Donkey, Kiang, Quagga Anything in this family

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

McDonnellb

Horse Whisperer

Postby McDonnellb » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 pm

My name is Brittany McDonnell and I thought I should post this considering there are a lot of people from Ohio who view this message board.

I work with horses who have problems. My service for the time being is free.

All I ask is that my Name is referred for future use. I am opening up my own Stable in a few years. Tips are welcomed but absolutely not necessary.

Please understand however, I do NOT train to win shows and I do NOT give lessons on equitation.

When I work with a horse, the goal to to make is SAFE for the rider to take over and start working with.

My most recent sucess story was with a four year old warmblood who had never been halter broke or handled in any sort of way. He was turned out in a pasture with other horses until the owner sold the property. He was absolutely un-controllable when the people arrived to transport him out and they physically abused him in order to get him onto a trailer.

When I recieved him, he bit, kicked, and was food agressive. With some time in the round pen, he quickly turned around into a respectable horse.

It only took me two weeks to be able to have someone ride him... however due to the mental damage done, it took me two years before I could touch his ears without worrying him.

That gelding was a perfect example of the types of horses I can help.

The ones who need to gain a person's trust, or the ones who need to have a bad habit fixed.

Again, my training is free until stated otherwise. I am located in the Hancock County area.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

My phone number is 631-764-2860

I will be back at home in NY during the Holiday season but feel free to call ahead anyway and we can talk about dates I can come out and help the horse.

-Brittany

Side Note:

I was a student at the University of Findlay in the Western Equestrian Program.

I left because I witnessed the head trainer kick my horse repeatedly when my horse had tripped and fallen to the ground. To kick an animal while they are down is simply inhumane. After that incident, I did not return and I tell future students to be aware of the hostility that the Western Equestrian Program has toward their horses.
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:59 pm

Sounds like you're well on your way to helping many people help their horses in a different way. I wouls encourage you to keep learning. The two books that are important to read are True Unity by Tom Dorrence and Think Harmony With Horses by Ray Hunt. These are the true masters of natural horsemanship. My boyfriend, Jarod Leighton, is the grandson of Ray Hunt and grew up for many years on the same ranch with Tom & Bill Dorrance (in California). I grew up back east and people there will benefit from your help. Too many english riders put up with horses that have terrible ground manners and that are dangerous but will get on that horse and do a cross county coure. Scary. We live in Western Wyoming and have two happy horses.
Good luck!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:14 pm

too bad you are three hours from me. I have a haflinger that thinks she can do whatever she wants if the halter is off (perfect if its on though, if you can catch her to get it on :roll: ), and she is insanley afraid of having a blanket put on. Im sure this is all fear related as she was fine at previous owers home and she is new here. She is amish broke so not the best ride out there but she sure is pretty.

zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:56 pm

Sounds like she needs to "sacked out" - this is what the cowboys call it. Bill Dorrance's book - True Horsemanship Through Feel has excellent pictures and good content. The other books that could help are the ones I mentioned above.
If she tries to get away from you and is hard to catch, make her run! If you walk up and she starts walking away, yell at her and shoo her. She'll eventually figure out it's more work to run away than to just stand there and be caught. Also - if you're using a buckle halter switch to a rope halter with a rope lead - they work on pressure points on the face and there are no weak buckle or latches that can break. It seems they're more popular in the west than east but they work a million times better. Has she ever been tied to a stout fence and just left there? How does she respond? (Does hse wait patiently or throw a fit?) Just wondering...
Haflingers can be great ponies and she is gorgeous! Good luck!
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:16 pm

I have nly had her a week so I am not getting worked up about it just yet. She is fearfull and I dont want to totally freak her out. The blanket thing was an accident. I had her tied to the fence, just to make it easier. As soon as the blanket touched her she FREAKED out. I wasnt expecting it at all. I think being tied up made it worse. She leads just fine one on the lead thats n problem. She is hard to catch, but not at first. When I walk in I can instantly hook her up and do some leading, but if I take it off she takes off and I cant get it back on without grain. I know I shouldnt use the grain. She is so new I am not sure if I should be too worried about all of it yet.

She is amish broke so she is kinda rough. She is hot too, acts like an arab a bit more then a haflinger. I think once I have her trust she will be an excellent horse.
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Haflingers are awesome but you're right - who knows how she was broke. When we "sack out" horse they're always on the lead but not tied to anything. I like to start with a saddle pad...

Here's a good article...

http://www.infohorse.com/sackingout.asp

Good luck :D
McDonnellb

Postby McDonnellb » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:34 pm

Lasergrl, do you know how to get a horse to 'join up' with you using a long line or a lunge line?

If you can do that, they are much more willing to accept the frightening objects.

How far away exactly do you live? If you wanted, I could come out on a day-trip to work with you. ^_^ No charge, I am just trying to get my name out there.

I owned a draft cross stallion who , when we first got him, was absolutely 100% head shy. It took a looong time but after weeks of patience I was able to put a halter on him like normal. I found out that the previous owners had ear twitched him.

>_<; Some people... ugh... lol
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:49 pm

She is actually pretty good on a lead. She is weird. halter and lead off, she is hard to catch, she head tosses, snorts and sometimes kicks her back feet up if I am walking after her. If the halter is on, I can catch her alright, if I have treats its REAL easy. Lead line she is pretty good but spooky. She will not join up without the lead. The donkey gets in the way alot as she is pushy for attention.
I had the farrier out and she did it ok, but she was very nervous. Once back in the pasture, she let out all that negative energy, running snorting ect. I am pretty green myself, and she was supposed to be a beginner friendly horse, and she was pretty great at the previous owners house. I rode her around for a while and she was GREAT. I think her biggest problem is how spooky she is. We have had great results with her starting to respect me. She used to push me around at first. She learned REAL fast that wasnt happening. I havent tried getting the saddle on her yet. I have a saddle, but havent even gotten a sinch because I would have to have it on to measure the length I'd need. Some "horse" people I work with insist its because she is a mare that she acts this way, that she is just marish, I do NOT buy that!
If youd like to come out sometime that would be great, its REAL muddy right now :shock: :mrgreen: Wish I had a round pen!
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:42 pm

I have a mare that isn't even 7 yet and I can put kids on her, I ride her in the parades in town and can do damn near ANYTHING with. People who say that stuff about mares are ignorant. The "oh, she a mare :roll: " thing is a bunch of crap. However, mares from 3 years to 7 are like girls in junior high. Very hormonal, etc. That's fine, but just like all us girls - we have to work when we have our period too!!! :lol:
Anyway - it's like I said in another post... "Make the right thing easy and the wrong thing difficult". If she's running away from you when you go to catch her - make her run!!!! Shoo her as soon as she starts to turn from you. Eventually she'll get tired and learn it's MUCH easier to just be caught.
Good luck!

Return to “Equines - HORSES, DONKEYS, ZEBRAS”