PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Excited!

Zebra, Horse, Onager , Donkey, Kiang, Quagga Anything in this family

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

suki'smom

Excited!

Postby suki'smom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:05 am

Since I had to sell my quarab mare last year, my horse Rusty has been very lonely and and often questions my authority (I put him in his place right quick). He sits and he stares at the neighbors draft horses almost begging for horse contact. So I recently found out that my uncle has had zero luck selling Rusty's brother Lonny so I'm buying him for Rusty. YAY! He will be two years old this spring and has had zero handling but he is a very sweet in your pocket kind of horse and the little work that I did do with him (respect my space kind of stuff) he caught on to very quickly. His personality is alot like Rusty's and Rusty was a pain to teach and had very little handling when I got him too, so I'm sure I'll do fine with this one. I'm very excited for Rusty, I'm sure he will be very happy to have a friend again.
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:33 pm

Hooray for you and Rusty!! Sounds like you have a good foundation for training. The my space/ your space thing is KEY. Books like Think Harmony With Horse, True Horsemanship Through Feel and ANYTHING Tom Dorrance has ever written is excellent! I started Cheeky too. There's a certain bond you have with a horse when you start them - even (like me) when you need outside help from people more knowledgable. Those boys will be so happy. I hope you post some pictures of the two when you get some! I'm going to post some of Jarod and I riding and goofing off with our two soon.

Good luck and congratulations!!
Stacey
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:02 am

Thanks so much. I am a big fan of natural horsemanship and that is all I will practice. I like to take techniques from several different clinitians until I find something that works. I would love to see pics of you guys and you horse(s?). If all goes well Lonny will be arriving next weekend (YAY!), I will post some pics of his and Rusty's first meeting then.
~Mariah~
BB

Postby BB » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:06 am

I really liked the book "Monty Roberts, the man who listens to the horses" (has nothing to do with the horse whisperer - the movie)
I truly believe his approach works 100%
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:07 pm

BB -

I know Monty Roberts sounds like he knows what he's talking about but he is not a very good person and knows little about horses compared to most others in the field. He's a charlatan and says very terrible things about his dad in hs books. His family wrote a book called "Horse Whisperers And Lies" to debunk all the things he said. He never even gets on a horse at most of his clinics. :roll:

I only say these things because Jarod's grandpa is Ray Hunt and Jarod grew up in Salinas on Mt. Toro with his grandpa (from time to time) and with the Dorrance family (Tom Dorrance is the originator of natural horsemanship along with his brother, Bill.) Ray came to learn from Tom and Bill about 50 years ago. (Bill & Tom are dead now - Ray is old & not in great health.) Pat Parelli, Clinton Anderson and others are good, they're just doing what these old timers did. "True Unity With Horses" by Tom Dorrance or "Think Harmony With Horses" by Ray Hunt are truly excellent books. These men were real cowboys (Jarod is a cowboy too) and had to put their money where their mouth is so to speak.

You can google any of this if you think I'm being a fibber - Jarod's last name is Leighton and his dad, Randy married Ray's daughter, Kathy. You can go to www.rayhunt.com and there are links to info on the Dorrance's. There are so many good clinicians out there to listen to the so-so ones I think. Hope I don't ruffle too many feathers with this post...
BB

Postby BB » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:16 pm

never met the man; just mentioned his approach works, and it does, I've tried it.
As for
pat parelli, he might be good with horses, but I don't like his videos ( just money making, that's all it is)
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:21 pm

I have to agree with you BB I like Pat Parelli but I think he is way too expensive though his techniques work well. I can't say anything much about Monty Roberts, I'm not familiar with his techniques.
~Mariah~
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:35 pm

Funny thing is that at clinics - Pat Parelli's wife is the far better horse person!! And yes - he charges TOO much! One of the people who helped me worked with Pat for years (and this guy is in his mid-fifties, raised arounb horses). In all his clinics - which run $75 for over 4 hours (and have a limit of 6 "students") he explains that Pat calls ground exercises "games", Ray Hunt calls them, "exercises" but that it's ALL that same thing.
"Make the right thing easy and the wrong thing difficult" Works with horses, dogs, foxes - and especially kids!!! :lol:
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:02 am

Uh-oh this was a little unexpected. Day-before-yesterday I was given an older mare. This should be interesting :D Starting the week I had one horse now by the end of the week (or into next week) I'll have three. That's okay she's well broke so it will be a nice repreive from the two goofy youngsters :D
~Mariah~

Return to “Equines - HORSES, DONKEYS, ZEBRAS”