HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

PLEASE READ THIS REGARDING TOXIC DOG FOOd viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1463

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 (with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.) FREE TO USE.
(PLEASE USE THE LINK ABOVE, YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

First Ride: Successful!!!

Zebra, Horse, Onager , Donkey, Kiang, Quagga Anything in this family

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

suki'smom

First Ride: Successful!!!

Postby suki'smom » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:20 pm

Today is a beautiful sunny Easter day, so I decided to try out Crystal under saddle. She has made progress trusting me and figuring out that not all people are unkind so today would be a good day. I tied her to the hitching post and gave her a good hour-long brushing, which she thoroughly enjoyed.
When I led her to the roundpen she seemed nervous so I led her to and from several times, until she settled down. I took her in and tied her so she could settle down and began to brush her again. When I tacked her up, again she was nervous so on and off and on and off went the saddle until she was calm again. I tightened the girth gradually as your supposed and just let her stand and settle for a while. Whe I put on the mechanical hackamore that she came with she was acting odd so I gently tugged on the rein. Her head flew up and the whites of her eyes showed, I promptly threw it in the garbage and put on the rope halter I just made for her.
I led her around the roundpen a few times both ways and then I mounted her, and got off. I got on and off like 15 times before actually fully sitting down. Then I got on and sat and got off like 15 times. On the ground I had her do the one rein stop we had been working on several times in both directions to be sure she was listening. I then had her do it while I was mounted.
I had her walk around the roundpen and I one rein stopped her several times. She was a little nervous at first but once she realized that I wasn't going to hurt her she was nice and calm. After about 10 minutes of riding I untacked her, brushed her down and let her loose in the roundpen to much on some grass and chilled with her.
A very successful first ride :D
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
dragon_lady

Postby dragon_lady » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:31 pm

forgive my ignorance, but what is a mechanical hackamore?
Cindy
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:11 pm

[url]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_hackamore[/url]
Mine looks something like this one but of a more severe type. They can be great tools in the right hands but are too often abused as they are very severe and really don't give the horse enough time to react to what you are asking before they get a sudden and severe pressure on the end of the nasal bone. I don't like them and she had obviously been abused by it so I just threw it away. Better for both of us :D
~Mariah~
dragon_lady

Postby dragon_lady » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:40 am

Thanks, doesn't look good to me either. Cindy
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:39 am

Mariah -
NICE WORK!!!! :D

Sounds like you did everything in the thoughtful manner she needed. Oh - and mechanical hackamores are awful - the garbage was the right place for it!! Hoorah for you and Crystal. I also want to commend you on not riding too long and stoping on a good note. You must be reading all those books you got because you sound like a pro. Grandpa Ray would be proud! I love to hear your updates - more horses need saved and less need to be bred.
I had a great Saturday with Cheeky. We took our first "Ciizens Mounted Unit" class. It's a free program here in Jackson. You take the class, learn to ride in formation, line up "boot to boot", walk over tarps, through footballs to each other while mounted, stand sill while they set off fireworks, etc. It's done through the police dept. If you get certified (there's a riding test at the end) you volunteer for the police to help downtown in the summer, work the rodeo, county fair, etc. It was from noon to 6pm with the first 2 hours being ground work. It was awesome although all the horse and riders were tired by the end of the day!!
I'll try to take pictures at the next class :D

Post more pics of Crystal when you get some!
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:46 pm

I LOVE the books! A lot of the stuff I already knew but I never completely Understood why until I read them. I've had about four more rides on Crystal since I wrote that. I now ride her bare back because I belive it is more comfortable on both of us (I've always been more comfortable bare back). Today we worked on going up and down and up and down the driveway until she was ok with it, in preparation for the road.
That class you are taking with Cheeky sounds like sooo much fun! I wish I had something like that around here. I bet it is a great experience for both of you. I would love to see pictures. Did you ever get a companion for Cheeky? I'll post pics of my two as soon as I get some more.
~Mariah~
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:33 pm

Our friends have a 30 year old draft horse who is going to be Cheeky's new boyfriend! They're going ot move him here in a week or so! Funny though - I've been working her everyday and she's a lot more content. That girl needs a job!
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:01 pm

That's so great that Cheeky is getting a boyfriend! I'm sure she will love him to death (and beat the hell out of him too lol). I think all horses need a job to keep them happy. Right now I am working on a mini trail type obstacle course to work my two on so that they have something new to keep their minds busy. I have to get creative :D there's nothing horse related around here.
~Mariah~

Return to “Equines - HORSES, DONKEYS, ZEBRAS”