PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Donkeys as pets?

Zebra, Horse, Onager , Donkey, Kiang, Quagga Anything in this family

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Donkeys as pets?

Postby caninesrock » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:48 pm

How are donkeys or mini-donkeys as pets? Are they affectionate towards their owners like dogs? Do they enjoy human attention? Can you pet them and will they enjoy it? Are they skittish?

The only donkey I've ever interacted with was at a petting zoo and it didn't seem to enjoy me petting it,but then it also looked kind of depressed and possibly sick(unless it's normal for donkeys to have matted looking fur like this):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cGN9ITEYjDw/T ... onkeyf.jpg

^
I know this one is long-haired and that's why it looks like that,but the one at the petting zoo just had parts of its hair that looked like how that one's whole coat looks.

Actually, the petting zoo donkey really looked like a photo of another members donkeys they posted. I don't want to name names though because I don't want to accuse them of having unhealthy donkeys if they aren't. (It wasn't Pat's donkeys).
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Donkeys as pets?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:17 pm

It can be normal because of seasonal shedding. Ideally they should have shaved it for the zoo to have it look good but doesn't mean it wasn't well.

They tend to look depressed to people that don't understand them. They just have that look, it's they way they are made, you need to get to know them to know their moods.

They do enjoy attention and petting from people they know. Petting zoo donkey tend to only be focused on food and don't care about a bunch of strangers wanting to pet them.

They do need friends though. When separated they call for each other. That's not to say one donkey by it;s self in a petting zoo is bad because normally they have more donkey at home and they are apart just for the day.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:24 pm

Thats not even a longhaired one. Thats just winter coat. You should google poitou donkeys!
http://www.thefeaturedcreature.com/2011 ... z1ofWkh65A

Donkeys are gentle and very loyal to their owners once bonded. I had one that was pretty well bonded to me. Trouble is they can be aggressive to smaller animals and new animals so she had to go. She was throwing sheep around. Like a dog, no, but tend to be more affectionate in general then the average horse once bonded.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:30 pm

Ok. Thanks for the tips guys. The donkey was probably just shedding its winter coat then. It makes me feel better knowing the petting zoo donkey wasn't sick or unhappy.

@Lasergirl:Wow. That is one wierd looking donkey. It's coat reminds me alot of the Kommondor Dog(mop dog):
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/komondor.htm

Or even more so the puli:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/puli.htm
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:42 pm

I have a pet Donkey and yes she is very affectionate and would be happy if I spent all day out there with her. Loves attention. I enjoy her very much too, they just seem to have a lot more personality to them then horses.

Beyond that, its a mixed bag on how the Donkey gets along with other animals. Some are very tolerant, and some are very viscious with things smaller then them.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Nicophorus wrote:I have a pet Donkey and yes she is very affectionate and would be happy if I spent all day out there with her. Loves attention. I enjoy her very much too, they just seem to have a lot more personality to them then horses.

Beyond that, its a mixed bag on how the Donkey gets along with other animals. Some are very tolerant, and some are very viscious with things smaller then them.

Ok. Thanks for the info. ^^ So, do they have to wear horse-shoes to protect their hoofs or anything?

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:09 am

I've never heard of horse shoes for donkeys. xD
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:45 pm

I love donkeys! One of the first things I'm getting when I move out is a donkey and some horses, i love equines. The only reason I don't have one now is because my dad strongly dislikes horses and so he won't even attempt a donkey, but I know plenty of people with them and they're all awesome. One thing you have to not mind is the braying though because it is really loud. As for hoof care no they dont need shoes, and horses don't need them either but thats another topic for another time, however you do need to watch them and either learn how to trim them or have a farrier do it. Donkeys are really easy keepers too, all they need is good pasture and good grass hay in the winter.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Oh. I wasn't sure how much work a donkey would be because I know horses are alot of work with having to manage horse shoes, trim hooves,brush manes, sometimes even have to tame to be able ride and stuff,clean stables/stalls,etc.

Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:25 pm

People actually make horse ownership harder than it is. They confine them to tiny stalls or small dry lots which forces them to stand in manure and urine all day. Then they think they need to put shoes on them which is an uneeded hastle, which I think I'm going to make a topic in the controversial section so you can see my thinking. Also, people for years have thought horses needed grain which is actually a big cause of health problems.
Really all horses need is about an acre of pasture per horse a, three sided shed where they can get out of the elements, some grass hay in winter (no they dont always have to have alfalfa like some think if ever), they need occasional trimmings but a good strong barefoot hoof doesn't need that much attention. Now this is the average trail horse but even most performance horses needs aren't much different, although there are a few exceptions.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:51 pm

What's involved in the care of a donkey?

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:28 pm

They need fed, watered, minerals, dewormed as needed, and attention.
They do not need a barn, just the three sided shelter that was discussed. If your pasture is big enough there is minimal manure to have to deal with. You just have to dig out the run in shed a couple times a year.
They founder easily and get obese easily, so they should only get a grass hay, first cutting is best as second cutting can be too rich. no grain and treats sparingly.
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Yup lasergrl covered it pretty well. They aren't complicated really you just have to know what your.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:26 am

Lasergrl wrote:They need fed, watered, minerals, dewormed as needed, and attention.
They do not need a barn, just the three sided shelter that was discussed. If your pasture is big enough there is minimal manure to have to deal with. You just have to dig out the run in shed a couple times a year.
They founder easily and get obese easily, so they should only get a grass hay, first cutting is best as second cutting can be too rich. no grain and treats sparingly.

Ok. Thank you. They are alot less work than I was afriad they would be from what I'd heard about care of horses with daily stall muckings, changing and fitting horse shoes, daily brushing of the mane,etc.

Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:19 am

A donkey will need his hoofs trimmed a few times a year, but no shoes.

Return to “Equines - HORSES, DONKEYS, ZEBRAS”