please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Donkeys as pets?

Zebra, Horse, Onager , Donkey, Kiang, Quagga Anything in this family

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Re: Donkeys as pets?

Postby caninesrock » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:57 am

Nicophorus wrote:A donkey will need his hoofs trimmed a few times a year, but no shoes.

Ok. Thank you for the info. A few times a year doesn't sound that bad.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:17 pm

The amount of times they need trimmed totally depends on your environment and the donkeys diet.
A donkey grazing on spring grass or one that gets grain or treats, or one that lives on soft ground, may need a trim every 6 weeks.
A donkey on late summer pasture and very dry ground, or a desert pasture may never need a trim in its life.
A trim is usually only $30 anyways so no big deal.

And BTW I have maybe brushed my horses mane and tail twice in the last year. Unless you have burrs, they really dont even need that. No one brushes them out on the range ;) Now a fancy dressage horse owner may scoff at that, but yeah, it is what you make it.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Oh. Ok. Thanks for the info. I had just seen and read alot of stuff about people saying that you had to shoe horses and trim their hooves alot and brush their manes daily,etc. It sounds like those are just rumors that horses need all that though and that they are less work than I thought they would be.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “Equines - HORSES, DONKEYS, ZEBRAS”