please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Arabians

Zebra, Horse, Onager , Donkey, Kiang, Quagga Anything in this family

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Splashstorm

Arabians

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:53 pm

I just love these guys<3 They are like the ferarri of the horse world :eleph: Hehee I really want one. I'll probably get one right after I get my wishlist pets. (:
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
veralidaine

Re: Arabians

Postby veralidaine » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:53 pm

After riding warmbloods for five years (including Arabians), I'm pretty sure I'll have a coldblood (I really want a Gypsy Vanner). Although warmbloods are all well and good if you're competing, they're probably not what you want if you just want to hack and ride for leisure. They look lovely but spook a lot unless REALLY trained.

My one exception to my coldbloods only rule, is a wild mustang from the BLM. I really want to adopt one when I have the time to devote to working with one.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:45 pm

I have a fjord and she is really the bomb. She NEVER spooks, in fact is the mellowest horse around with tons of character. I love all the coldbloods too, but definately preffer the draft ponies just due to the logistics of the size of larger ones.
My friend has a utah BLM mustang she is selling right now. She is a hot head and is dominant, herd queen. Really aggressive to her other horse. She was ok boarded here with my fjord and mini but we have alot of room. I think she just really needs alot of space to stay sane. maybe due to her wild past IDK.
yes if youve never had a horse before, I would say get an older arabian. They really can be quite a handfull when young. Thats the way they are meant to be though. Its just not a fun way to own a horse, having one thats so spirited you cant even apply fly spray, or give it a bath without it dancing around. The older ones are quite nice though!
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Agreed. To me, there is a big difference between wanting a horse for competition and wanting a horse for simple pleasure-riding, and you should choose your horse accordingly. For my five years of riding lessons, the focus was on training for competition so the slender, quick horses were the most appealing. I have since decided that competition is not for me and so my whole outlook on what I want in a horse has changed.

I checked out Fjords on google images. They have a nice look, I have just fallen in love with the look of the Gypsy Vanner, and I hear their temperament is really great.

My one question to anybody who has experience with horses that have feathers is; do they need to be cut? How long should they be? I've seen pictures of horses (especially Gypsy Vanners) that have such large amounts of feathers, it looks like they're wearing bell bottoms and you can't even see their hooves. I'm curious about whether feathers can reach a length where they interfere with the horse's gait.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:56 am

Yeah I was thinking of an older Arabian. I don't think I could cope with a young gelding ^^" I'd be thrown for sure. LOl.

Wow, Gypsy Vanners are super gorgeous! O_O
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage

Return to “Equines - HORSES, DONKEYS, ZEBRAS”