Meeting Foxes

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

aarami

Meeting Foxes

Postby aarami » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:19 pm

Not sure this is the right section for this topic.
I had the dream of owning my own foxes like fennec or a red fox, however now is not the time for me to get a fox, because of money reasons and laws in my state, that
I can only own a fox if it’s none native and uses it has a teaching tool.

Oregon seems dead set on killing exotics ownership and even with a USDA, I am not sure of all the risk that it would pull on a fox if I got one.

Somewhere I found that if your animal under a USDA, bites or claws anyone, your animal will be put down by the state, also that if your something happens to your USDA , they will put your animals down.

Not sure how much of that is true anyway the next best thing for me would to meet some fox’s and get to interact with them. To help me deiced if's in the future I want one.

I live right outside of Oregon City, OR

I know that TamanduaGirl is getting a fennec fox and that she’s in my sate.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Meeting Foxes

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:02 pm

There are some other Oregon members that post sporadically but they don't have foxes but maybe there's someone lurking I don't know of.

Yes if a fox or any exotic bites or even scratches someone and it is reported the animal will be put down for testing. Oregon law used to leave if exotics get down for testing or not up to the discretion of the state vet but they changed it a few years ago and now it says they must be put down for testing. Ways to save the fox include the recipient of the bite agreeing to lie and tell the DR something else injured them like falling on barbed wire, because DRs legally have to report animal injuries(though that may be an awkward conversation to have with a customer), or possibly, but it's not a for sure save the person agreeing to get post exposure shots to save the animal but that might not work in Oregon due to the current wording of the law.

Options if you decide to get one under USDA are hands off presentations or just letting people touch it's rump. You could also film shows where there are a few people there to possibly use as proof that no bite happened if someone decides to be mean and report a false bite. The risk is real but I think on the low side if you know your animal well so you can put a stop to things before there is a bite and keep it on the smaller side and well controled so you don't have people causing issues by grabbing or doing something stupid. Most people wanting an encounter will be animal lovers and not want anything bad to happen to them, but not everyone at a show, party or event will be.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Oh the conservation has a pallid fox. You could contact them and see if they would let you meet it in an encounter.

https://www.facebook.com/SlothCenter/

https://www.facebook.com/SlothCenter/ph ... =3&theater
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aarami

Postby aarami » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Whatever kind of animal it needs to be respected and not bother, some people can’t use common sense when dealing with animals. When I was 17, I decide to get up early to feed are sheep, I go to the barn and let them out and began my walk home, I turn to find a pure white wolf, the thing just watches me, about a minute and left. Not running was the best thing, I could think of at the time. No one wanted to believe that I saw a white blued eyed wolf in Oregon.
The wolf was arctic wolf that got away with it mate, when fish and wildlife tried to seize them, the female was a pure wolf, and the male was wolf with a very small bit of domestic dog DNA, they put them both down because the male had domestic dog DNA and the female had his unborn puppy’s.
We never found out who owned the pair, at the inform as to what happened to them was learn when they came to do a clear up of the traps that they had put in the area.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:13 pm

Aw that's sad. That's one problem with allowing hybrids but banning wolves. They did that to someone in California too. Said the wolf dogs were wolves and seized them they even had documentation from the breeders but CA just said the breeder must be lying.
---
Mary

aarami

Postby aarami » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:13 pm

I am going to contact them, thanks very Tamandua Girl
aarami

Postby aarami » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:30 pm

I sent them a message however, I am kind of doubtful if they will allow me to meet their fox, their rules and info, have them only allowing visit for education and fundraising from doing sloth shows.
aarami

Postby aarami » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:32 pm

They just sent me this:

We no longer use our Pallid foxes with the public due to changes in federal regulations. They only species we still utilize is the two-fingered sloths.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:45 pm

That's too bad. Probably just wanted to keep things simpler. She used to offer a lot of different animals for shows and programs.
---
Mary

DWG

Postby DWG » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:04 am

I am the only legal fox ranch in the state of Ore. We do not sell pets, but if you are interested in looking and asking question we would be open to you coming after puppies are born. we are located in the Eugene area.

Happy Day!
aarami

Postby aarami » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:32 am

My goal for getting a fox is to educate people with. I have plans to show my fox a college's and school in Oregon.

I believe that their are no more Fox's in my area,however I was told storys of them existing.

Return to “FOXES”