NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Aren't Fur Farm Purchases Illegal?

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Katalyst

Re: Aren't Fur Farm Purchases Illegal?

Postby Katalyst » Sat May 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Red foxes, skunks, tanuki and domestic dogs.
Diet geek.

KaisWayRidge Silver Foxes
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Okay so she does get mangled ones too https://www.facebook.com/groups/2324338 ... 251937589/

I think if I were going to do something like that those would be the only ones I'd rescue. Plenty of young healthy ones coming from breeders. For those that want to rescue something but don't want to take in an adult, then this could fill that small niche.

Would be nice to see more people take in the rehomed adults that need it though, would be even more nice if the number needing rehomed went down but I'm not expecting that.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vulpini

Postby vulpini » Wed May 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Katalyst wrote:Thought this may be of interest...

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/05/0 ... ry-permit/

Yikes...
I mean, I feel bad that they revoked her permit, but that also really makes me mad because she was telling all of her followers that they had no "basis" for wanting to revoke her permit, and said they just randomly decided she shouldn't keep the foxes any more.....
Such blatant lying just gives a bad name to the whole exotics community icon-sad
I'm glad she wants to rescue foxes, but she needs to go through the proper, legal channels to do so!! Anything less is putting the animals in danger. Sounds like she was planning on starting a sanctuary with the 3-fox permit she had?? That would have been disastrous...
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu May 18, 2017 10:40 am

It's a fine line between running a rescue out of your home and hoarding. That is why they enforce permits. At some point, things can get overwhelming, and that is when the animals' health and quality of life may go back down to before they were rescued. And what's worse is the person who ends up in that situation still thinks they are doing the right thing by taking in animals they can't care for. I'm not saying that was Mikayla's situation at all, but that is what can happen.

So, the limit is there to stop that situation before it starts. You can go about it the legal way and start a real sanctuary with the proper documentation and permits, or you can break the law and potentially lose your animals...it's one or the other.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Fri May 19, 2017 8:33 pm

So apparently she's telling people that the fur farms she gets them from also have permits to sell pets. If they're selling them as pets anyways, she's not rescuing them for one. Two, she also said to me that she doesn't sell them, and then turned around and said it's ridiculous if I think she's getting a profit off of 500 dollars a kit when she spends so much on constantly buying new stuff for them and paying for the medical bills when they come in (which, 500, no, 1500 for a healthy fox? ridiculous) And she said she doesn't charge extra for ones that were sick or injured before adopting. (So why 1500??)
So my bottom line question is, going off of what she has said;
Is it illegal to purchase a fox from a fur farm, and then sell it as a pet? That is exactly what she's doing, and I'd like to know. I'm trying to educate these people before they purchase illegal kits and get their hearts broken when they lose them.
And if someone could help me find the citation for it, that'd be great.
I called her out and she said she'll pm me her USDA number, so I'm checking that as well.
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 19, 2017 9:20 pm

She needs a USDA license to broker(buy and resell). Ash asked if a fur farm could sell to her(an exhibitor) and was told no. I think they could sell to a breeder who sells kits from them as pets if used as breeding stock because then they are still just selling livestock.

Basically the question is if someone not licensed can sell to a licensed broker. I think the answer is no as a quick search says USDA is needed for anyone importing, buying, selling, or trading exotic animals. So the fur farm is breaking the law by selling to her and she is as well as the USDA laws say those with a USDA licensed can not buy from someone who isn't if they are supposed to be.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Fri May 19, 2017 10:38 pm

I'm speaking to her now. With everything she's saying, the prices make sense. apparently she has half an acre for them, and that is pricey. She said the champagne she sold for 1500 was being treated for 6 months, and the adopter had no problem with the price. So profit is out. Also said that she's had about 150 applications and she's only approved of 12. So hopefully she actually is being as strict as she sounds on where they go. So far, she's saying it's the city trying to limit her number of foxes to 3, because when she registered, she only had 3. She said they told her before it would be 1 per animal unit, but never got it in writing, and that she should be grandfathered in but they didn't do that, so now she's saving up to move her sanctuary because of the city. I'm terrible at reading through legal documentation, so I'm not having luck with that.
She is on the USDA list as a dealer. So that makes it legal to sell them as pets even from a fur farm, yes? Well, if the fur farm is licensed to sell.
Which, she insists that Dave is a fur farm, and sells pets on the side. I'm not sure how true that is, and I'd rather not bother with it, but I'm sure it is possible for a farm to also have a selling license. I guess she found the loophole.
41b0278
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 19, 2017 11:56 pm

If she is liscensed as dealer then her selling is legal.

Yeah Dave started as a fur farm and is licensed to sell and rumor has it may still buy some of the rarer colors from fur farms, but if true is okay to do that for breeding stock, so no big deal.

If the fur farmer got his USDA license to sell for pets then it would be okay most don't since it's an extra fee(based on number of animals) and oversight, but if the farm chose to then yeah it would be legal.
---
Mary

Foxtheauthor

Postby Foxtheauthor » Fri May 26, 2017 2:08 am

She's even admitted that most of her Foxes except 3 adults are all staying in other places until her issues with the city can be worked out.
vulpini

Postby vulpini » Mon May 29, 2017 3:06 pm

Thank you guys for contacting her--I think it's made a huge difference. She's now including screenings to all possible owners in the application process, and posts that in almost every post she puts on Instagram. Seems that she's realized knowledgeable people are watching her and she needs to step up her screening process!
She's now fundraising to move the sanctuary, and it seems that more of the kits she gets in are actually injured/maimed. I think you guys talking to her helped a lot!!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon May 29, 2017 3:09 pm

That's great. I think rescuing the injured and maimed ones is a good cause. Hopefully she can move her sanctuary then. Wish her the best of luck.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Fur prices are on the rise again, but the average red fox pelt of any color still isn't bringing a ton of money (less than pet/breeder price). The fur farms would rather sell her the extra & defective kits in order to make a decent profit on them instead of having to euthanize them or raise them only to sell their pelts for a lesser profit, if any.

I'd rather see her rescue unwanted pet foxes than fur farm kits. That might sound cruel because we all know how the conditions on fur farms can be, but I'd rather see an adult fox that's used to being around people be saved & go to a new home instead of ending up at an auction where it ends up in a tiny cage as a fur breeder. Some of the fur fox breeders I have talked to have noticed that many unwanted adults end up at auctions & swap meets where they are then purchased as breeders; these fox breeders like that they're much tamer than a typical fur breeder fox, but I can't imagine how these poor foxes must feel since they were used to a nice life with room to roam then the next thing they know they're in a tiny cage. icon-sad

Long story short: Let the fur farms keep their kits & rescue the unwanted pets instead before they end up in tiny cages as fur breeders.

Return to “FOXES”