Freed Fox looses leg

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Freed Fox looses leg

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Poorly baby on her way home after being "liberated" by some people (which involved them dragging her from her home and chasing her off). She got as far as a neighbouring farm and then got her leg shattered in a trap which has lead to her having to have said leg amputated. . .
The wild is a great place huh?

https://www.facebook.com/45797118456609 ... 79/?type=3
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peacefulward

Re: Freed Fox looses leg

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:19 pm

God this is horrible. I bet the activists thought they did something good too and don't even regret it, even knowing the harm that happened to this poor girl as a result of their actions.

Better dead than in human care, as they say. :chair:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:22 pm

That's Elina's fox, Callie :cry:
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Oh, no! Poor Callie... poor Elina.. This is like a nightmare! Someone setting your animals loose, and then THIS happening? At least she got her back, but that's just horrible.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:39 am

Yes, something all exotic owners have to fear but think wont ever really happen :(
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nekiko

Postby Nekiko » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:24 am

Dang that's brutal, I hope that yeah, it doesn't happen again to any fox (OR ANY ANIMAL EVER). They don't deserve that.
Katalyst

Postby Katalyst » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:29 pm

At about 4am on Tuesday morning, someone broke into my garden and released Kai (who thankfully was alone in a temporary enclosure as he was due to go to the vets for a suprelorin implant).
After several days of chasing him and intensive searching and effort he was killed on a road 7 miles from home on Friday morning.

I urge anyone in the UK with foxes to ensure their locks are secure and as few people as possible know of their existence.

It's been an awful week.
Red foxes, skunks, tanuki and domestic dogs.
Diet geek.

KaisWayRidge Silver Foxes
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm so sorry. That awful.

----

People do need to understand the importance of good fencing and locks. Sure if they are real determined locks and thick gauge wire wont stop them but people are inherently lazy and will want to spend as little time as possible so they will be less likely to bother than if you use chicken wire and no locks. ( mention because some people this year seem to think chicken wire is an okay enclosure :( )

----

Motion activated lights and if possible some hidden cameras are also a good idea. Yeah visible cameras can be a deterrent but if something does happen hidden ones can be a better help. A friend was having issues with a deranged neighbor killing and freeing her animals but they kept avoiding the cameras. This was years ago, she had to move.
---
Mary

minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:30 pm

So sorry for your terrible loss.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:39 pm

This is just awful. I'm so, so, so sorry about what happened to your baby. :( No owner should have to go through that. I have a fence around my yard and a catch cage, but no actual locks. Well, I have the locks, they're just not on the cages yet. I really should put them on. I would be devastated if something like this happened to me...

Again, I'm very sorry about what happened. These people need to wake up and see the harm they are causing.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Katalyst

Postby Katalyst » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:27 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:I'm so sorry. That awful.

----

People do need to understand the importance of good fencing and locks. Sure if they are real determined locks and thick gauge wire wont stop them but people are inherently lazy and will want to spend as little time as possible so they will be less likely to bother than if you use chicken wire and no locks. ( mention because some people this year seem to think chicken wire is an okay enclosure :( )

----

Motion activated lights and if possible some hidden cameras are also a good idea. Yeah visible cameras can be a deterrent but if something does happen hidden ones can be a better help. A friend was having issues with a deranged neighbor killing and freeing her animals but they kept avoiding the cameras. This was years ago, she had to move.

I have motion activated lights on the drive. A solid wooden gate into the garden. The temporary holding enclosure is galvanised steel and completely escape proof. I have cctv but until this incident it didn't cover the whole garden or access. I am the last house before a few miles of fields and farmland so we have to be careful.
No laziness on my part and I doubt there was any laziness on elinas either!
Diet geek.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Sorry I didn't mean you. You already said they broke in. That's why I said I had only mentioned it because I'd seen the problem in others. I just thought it might help to add to the warning since those people ignore warnings that it wont hold a fox in. I didn't mean to add to your pain. I can delete this part of the thread if you like?
---
Mary

Katalyst

Postby Katalyst » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:58 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Sorry I didn't mean you. You already said they broke in. That's why I said I had only mentioned it because I'd seen the problem in others. I just thought it might help to add to the warning since those people ignore warnings that it wont hold a fox in. I didn't mean to add to your pain. I can delete this part of the thread if you like?

No offense taken, I just felt the need to stress that not all theft is the result of owner negligence. I don't know why I felt the need to comment really.
And you're quite right.
Diet geek.

Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Thank you for sharing your unfortunate experience.

If you have any evidence of who came onto your property, I would sue them.

What locks are best for cold weather? I read and see a lot of locks freezing over during winter.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:56 pm

Katalyst wrote:
No offense taken, I just felt the need to stress that not all theft is the result of owner negligence. I don't know why I felt the need to comment really.
And you're quite right.

Oh good. I often don't express myself as well as I think I do, so wasn't sure.

Yeah if the person is determined enough nothing will stop them, that's why my friend had to move. Even when she tried to hide her cameras they somehow avoided getting on film so she couldn't prove who it was.
---
Mary

Return to “FOXES”