Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

I might get another fox and question

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I might get another fox and question

Postby pat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 am

Does anyone have rat issues in their fox enclosure? somehow rats are getting in my basement and in my attic.
I am not sure how to stop this. I seen this morning they bored a small hole in my kitchen ceiling :twisted:
I have heard that ammonia deters rats. I thought of putting ammonia around the house, around the enclosure.
My house needs so much work, but, right now, I need to figure out a way to keep the little bastards out.
I also heard plaster of paris kills rats?

Since Daryl died, I am thinking of getting another fox. Not sure yet. if I do, I will see what mt hope has.
I would love to get a pearl one.Last year, I seen a beautiful fox at mt hope, came close to getting it.

I know some foxes are good for killing rats. Daryl was on the ball with them. the other 2 don't seem to to kill any. (they spend most of their time in tower)
If I seen a rat, all I had to do is call Daryl and he came and killed the rat.
I use to use glue strips. that usually killed some. maybe I can put some of those and rat traps in the attic and basement?

I really didn't want to add more animals, but, if another fox will help, that is what I will do.

there are so many hiding places outside for rats. gary's outside hoard don't help either :twisted:

However, I have a doggie door in the living room, some can be coming in that way also. :shrug:
my cats don't seem to kill rats, only mice. My maine coon smells them and tries to get to them, but, the rats outsmart him :roll:

there was a big hole on the side porch header. gary replaced the board there. but, so many other ways the little bastards are getting in.
rats can amazing squeeze through very small holes. I have read they can flex their body somehow to squeeze through small holes.

fall and winter are worse, guess they want to nest and keep warm.

this is hard to explain, but, I also need to figure out a way to fill in the gap from the bottom of my house in their enclosure. (will get a picture to show you what I am talking about)
I have chainlink on the bottom, then dirt, and straw on top. but, against the house, I am sure they are getting in that way too.
I have a tub of dry cement (needs mixed with water to work) I thought of using that. it will be lots of work for me to do, especially since I have been sick. (recovering from lung cancer)

please can everyone share ideas for me.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I might get another fox and question

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:06 pm

They are probably nesting in the house at this point. A new fox wont be enough even if it does hunt them but there's no guarantee it will.

Ideally you would have to find and block off all access points then kill all that are in the home. For a heavy infestation fumigation is probably best. You and the animals would have to move out while it's done though.

Poison could put your animals at risk so the only other option would be traps out of the way of your pets.

There are deterrents but that could be tried to help keep them out but this wont do anything for those already in the home and breeding.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:28 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:They are probably nesting in the house at this point. A new fox wont be enough even if it does hunt them but there's no guarantee it will.

Ideally you would have to find and block off all access points then kill all that are in the home. For a heavy infestation fumigation is probably best. You and the animals would have to move out while it's done though.

Poison could put your animals at risk so the only other option would be traps out of the way of your pets.

There are deterrents but that could be tried to help keep them out but this wont do anything for those already in the home and breeding.

guess in order for a fox to kill rats, I would have to let them in attic and basement :roll:

I have no idea where to block off any entrances for the dirty rats. I can't do much myself. gary is never home much and when he is, he parks in front of TV :roll:

for now,I will put the plaster aparis(sp) mix with food in attic and basement. :shrug:

not sure if any glue strips would help. but, will shove some up in the attic and basement.

this house would take a lot to seal up.

Katalyst

Postby Katalyst » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:03 pm

Ammonia won't deter rats I'm afraid. If anything, they seem drawn to it. Ammonia and other urine smells mean animals which mean potential food sources.

I've had a bit of an issue now we're having a cold snap with rats around my chickens and the bloody things are in and out of the fox enclosure too. The foxes literally sit and watch them!

I'd be highly inclined to try some humane traps and then dispatch the rats yourself.
No poison or legs or tails caught in painful traps. No risk to your other animals.

As for another fox... I'm sure you wouldnt regret it! And if you get a pearl, please post many pics. Id love a pearl but we dont have the gene in the uk :(
Maybe I can live vicariously through you instead!
Red foxes, skunks, tanuki and domestic dogs.
Diet geek.

https://kaiswayridgefoxes.com
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Katalyst wrote:Ammonia won't deter rats I'm afraid. If anything, they seem drawn to it. Ammonia and other urine smells mean animals which mean potential food sources.

I've had a bit of an issue now we're having a cold snap with rats around my chickens and the bloody things are in and out of the fox enclosure too. The foxes literally sit and watch them!

I'd be highly inclined to try some humane traps and then dispatch the rats yourself.
No poison or legs or tails caught in painful traps. No risk to your other animals.

As for another fox... I'm sure you wouldnt regret it! And if you get a pearl, please post many pics. Id love a pearl but we dont have the gene in the uk :(
Maybe I can live vicariously through you instead!

Appreciate your info. I think I seen about the ammonia on youtube. someone had rats in their garage. they claimed they soaked rags with ammonia,
and it deterred them :shrug: I think I will get couple rat traps and glue strips. the glue strips do work as long as the food on strip is in the middle.
so if I got both, hopefully, I can get rid of them. however, keeping more from coming in is the hard part.

I also have chickens, most likely that don't help keeping rats away. the chicken pen is very close to my house.

I haven't seen any rats in the fox pen yet. they might be there, and I just don't see them. was hoping if the rats are in the fox pen,
the foxes would will them. those rats are fast little bastards.

I have been wanting a pearl fox for a long time, but, never got it, cause I already had too many animals. but since Daryl died,
I might consider getting one. they are pretty.

hecate

Postby hecate » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:09 am

When I last had a rat problem, I got one of these:

http://www.victorpest.com/victor-electr ... trap-bm240

It reliably killed three rats a day. I'd set it in the morning and when I got home from work I had a dead rat. I'd reset it, check it before going to bed, and had rat #2. Reset again, and when I woke up there was another dead rat. In a few weeks I ran out of rats.

A fellow Greyhound adoption volunteer always had a buncch of foster Greyhounds in her house but they never went after rats. She asked around, ended up getting a Border Terrier, and never had rats again.

My little fuzzball dog is death on mice, but he won't go near a rat. Thank goodness.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:28 am

hecate,

thank you for the info. I was looking into those traps awhile ago. but, I think I will get a couple and try then out.
can't remember, how many rats it can to in it at onetime?

next time I go to the store, will get a couple of them. I would like to put one somewhere in the chicken pen also.
just so the chickens don't go in it.

I have heard terrior being good with rats. as much as I didn't want another dog, I might consider it.
geez, I have 5 cats, some stay outdoor alot, some in the house. but, I am not sure how good a cat is with rats.
I know they are good with mice.

hecate

Postby hecate » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:19 pm

My rats were so big only one fit in the trap at a time. They did get smaller as the population decreased, but I never found more than one at a time. I think once it has a dead rat lying across the electrode surfaces the trap has to be emptied before it will fire again.

Adult chickens wouldn't fit through the hole. Baby chicks would.

I think cats who came from feral backgrounds could be effective ratters. Here's what one humane group in Chicago is doing:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:38 pm

My sister's yorkshire terrier is a great mouse-catcher. He actually caught his first one several days ago, but is now on the hunt.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “FOXES”