PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

wild fox question.

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

wild fox question.

Postby pat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:03 pm

I have a wild red fox that made himself at home here. I think, his/her den is on the other side of the fence.
I have a hav-a-hart trap set. no luck. I covered the trap with branches, leaves. even put food on the outside of the trap.
I think I seen the fox hole, not sure, I will get a picture of it when I get a chance. in the wild, I know they make tunnels.
I seen two holes. it is hard to look too far down into the hole. I thought about the leg trap, but, I am afraid one of my cats will get caught in it.

I am very upset right now, cause that fox killed my peacock. yep, I am sure it was a fox. I seen my peacock's feathers on the inside of the fence.
looks like they tried to drag him through the fence. I also found a headless chicken. (that is the work of a fox)
I also seen where they dragged him from the pen he was in. what a bold little bastard.

my hubby seen the fox yesterday morning in the yard. I know no one wants to hear this, but, if I find that fox, he/she will be shot.
I thought about relocating it, but not sure where. I don't want to impose a problem for someone else.

the other day, the fox was again on the property, my donkeys and calfs chased him. wish they would have done that before that fox killed my peacock.

I feel so bad for my peacock. he was in a separate pen in the front near the house. he had access to my front porch. I have 6 young turkeys in a large cage and he was always protecting them. he use to sleep in a pine tree at night near the front porch.

I might get another peacock later, but, I need to fix the front pen so nothing can get in. the fence I have now is about 5ft high.
I thought about putting a top on it. it would be very hard to put fence on top. what are other methods?

I thought of getting another coonhound. (mine all passed away) they were great for keeping predators away.
some coonhounds needs to be trained what they are allowed to kill and not to kill. I did have a male long time ago, he killed chickens, even a goose :roll:
the other ones was not much work to make them understand what to kill and not what to kill.

all ideas are welcome for the wild fox.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
GitaBooks

Re: wild fox question.

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:33 pm

I'm sorry about your peacock. I remember when I lost chickens to a predator I always felt so bad, especially the ones I was bonded too.

I don't have much advise on catching foxes, I think our dogs kept them away. Securing the fence should help a lot as well.

I know Red Foxes are big, so I don't doubt it could have been the one to get your peacock, but I think I lost the most adult chickens to a coyote, so could it be that as well? I stayed up one evening until it came back and shouted at it and it never came back again.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:44 pm

GitaBooks,

bummer about your chickens. I know how you feel icon-sad

I am almost positive it was a fox. just by the location of where the feathers were.
being that the fox was bold enough to surface near the house yesterday morning, I really believe it as a fox.
also, the same day, a chicken with it;s head and neck gone. that is the work of a fox. usually when a fox goes for a kill, they grab the neck first.
foxes are quick and sneaky.

I never seen any coyotes here, not saying there is not any. the place where I live, is starting to build up with yuppy homes, lots of neighbors now icon-sad . since there is only a field behind me and beside me. there still out there. a friend of mine put a camera up in the front and on the side.
nothing yet. however, the side (it is like a gully) he spotted a raccoon. but, I doubt it was the raccoon. the side property vs the front is not close.

I get some pictures later today.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:11 pm

You don't need a whole top, you can do a lean out at the top plus some a dig guard and the bottom should keep them out. If you can afford it, running 3 lines of electric around it 2 near bottom and one along the top works well too.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:05 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:You don't need a whole top, you can do a lean out at the top plus some a dig guard and the bottom should keep them out. If you can afford it, running 3 lines of electric around it 2 near bottom and one along the top works well too.

not sure what a dig guard is? the electric is a real good idea. I have electric fence where the donkeys and calves are. however, gary put a car battery instead of a decent charger :roll: needless to say, many times the calves get out of it.

but, I plan on getting a electric charger. there is a plug very close to the enclosure. I would like to get electric all around the property. use to have it,
but, gary is not too good at keeping up with maintenance :roll:

thank you for the great idea. I am not getting another peacock or any bird until the electric fence is set up.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:56 pm

A dig guard is a bit of extra fencing around the perimeter of the fence, that goes out along the ground instead of in like if it was a floor. Going out 2-3 feet on the ground with fence around the vertical fence will prevent digging in.

Here's an example though this is just chicken wire to keep rabbits out, you'd want stronger to keep foxes out
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:24 am

oh, I know what you mean now. I thought of doing that. it will take time to do it, but, I will do it.
some people call it a "skirt" :shrug:
I am so paranoid, I am going to try and do both. I will wait till my friend comes over and he can help me with it.

I am still waiting for that fox, he/she did not surface yet. I doubt it went in the trap, but going to walk down and check.

thank you mary, you always have good ideas.

DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Running hot wires (ie electric fence) might help. You could also run another layer of fencing with smaller holes around your current fencing. Then the birds couldn't stick their heads through. Wouldn't have to be more than 18" in height. A decent chicken wire would work, and not be that expensive. Plus, you wouldn't have a hot wire to maintain.

Please don't kill the wild fox, Pat. They're just trying to get along in life, just like the rest of us. If you remove the ability for the fox to grab your chickens, the fox most likely will move on. It's easier to fox-proof your bird pen than it is to chase a fox away from an easy meal.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:19 pm

I plan on getting an electric fence around the property and another layer around the enclosure.
right now, I have 3 full grown turkeys and 6 young ones. they all stick together. (same pen my peacock was in)
what I did, for now, is put a radio in the pen. also I have a fake alligator and put that inside the enclosure. I also have a camera on them, I can see them on an extra TV I have.
along with sound.

I do have chicken wire also around the fence. what I am not sure of, is if my peacock was out of the enclosure. however, I seen where he was dragged from. (his enclosure)

as for the wild fox, have not seen him for over a week. Marco put up a couple cameras, we view them when he comes over, no foxes.
I still have the hav-a-heart trap set, but, nothing has gone in it.

however, what I think might have worked, is the fact, I put donny's poop and litter near the fox and even down the fox hole.

correct me if I am wrong, but, wild foxes don't invade another foxes territory?

one thing I don't know is what time the wild fox killed my peacock. gary seen the fox afterwards in the front property of the house.

dana, I understand what you posted about a wild fox. but, my heart is broke after the fox killed my peacock. he was such a great peacock. he tried to protect all the birds I have.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:31 pm

pat wrote:my heart is broke after the fox killed my peacock. he was such a great peacock. he tried to protect all the birds I have.

I totally understand as I've been there myself in the past. In high school we lived in a tiny town in the mountains. I would let my cat out and she would just sit on the porch and I'd let her back in after awhile. One night I heard some claws on the door. A coyote had come up onto the porch and taken her off the door step while she napped waiting for me to let her back in.

It was standing in the yard with her hanging from it's jaws. Having lost my mind I sicked my old chihuahua mix on the coyote. Coyote dropped the cat out of shock, and cat ran off to the shed to hide. Coyote proceeded to try and lure my dog into the woods to kill her so had to frantically caller her back till she listened and turned around. Our car had broken down so I wrapped my cat in a towel and went to find a neighbor, took some time since a tiny ski town most homes were empty.

Neighbor at first said she would take us then suddenly changed her mind. Took my cat home and she died in my arms as her throat slowly swelled shut from the bite.

Obviously very traumatic so when my father offered to kill the coyote I eagerly and uncharacteristically said yes. He never did though and while I was mad at him at first I eventually was glad he didn't. It wasn't the coyotes fault. A stupid neighbor had been feeding it when in town and it had an injured paw so tried to take advantage of an easy meal to survive. The fault was mine for letting my cat outside unsupervised, though was young and naive and didn't know better and my stupid neighbor's for thinking feeding a predator was cool, and of course the other neighbor who decided for some reason that dropping us at the vet on her way to work would be too much trouble.

If I ever loose another animal to a predator I will consider the fault mine for not protecting them well enough. I know it can be harder with lots of animals but improving the fencing will go a lot farther than killing one animal as others will just show up, like with coyotes if you kill one you will wind up with several because of how their reproduction works. I'm not sure how it works in foxes but likely the same.

Using your own foxes poop to mark the territory is a clever idea and glad it seems to be working.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:21 am

mary,
thank you for understanding. it is upsetting to lose our pets to a predator. Understanding, however, they need to eat too. there are wild rabbits they can eat, mice, rats or whatever.
my peacock's feathers are still down by the fence in the front property. A long time ago, I did see a wild fox where I found the one that killed my peacock. at that time, I had several coonhounds. they didn't let any wild animal on the property. the only dogs I have now is my aussie dog and beagle. my beagle is getting a bit lazy.
for now, I also have flashing lights I plan on using. it is set of 3 spotlight bulbs. I am thinking of getting another coonhound. the males seem to better hunters.
however, the one time gary seen my calves chase the fox away. where were they when the fox killed my peacock

How devasting for you to lose your cat to a coyote. I am so sorry you had to endure such a bad experience like that.
sadly, that is how predators work, they go for the throat first. I would think if your neighbor was feeding the wildlife, that should have been enough.
your dog was too small to face a coyote. my step nephews had that happen a while ago. I think they did find the coyote and killed it.

off topic: gary just brought me in a baby chicken to take care of. like I don't have enough to do. gonna go out and see if I can find it's momma.

Return to “FOXES”