PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

New fox owners :) (couple ?s)

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Zachfowler1234

New fox owners :) (couple ?s)

Postby Zachfowler1234 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:59 am

My girlfriend and I recently bought a 4 week old red fox(Kovu)! We absolutely are in love with him and couldn't have asked for a better animal. We haven't had any problems out of him at all and he also seems to be ALMOST 100% house broken! (Besides some accidents here and there) we have a 2 year old daughter(Kira) and he is awesome with her. We make sure to keep a close eye on her because we don't want her to hurt him. We don't let her pick him up yet because she doesn't really know how to because she's just a kid, but if we put him in her lap she does great with him and he is always well behaved. Also we are meeting with our C.O. this week to get our permit.

We bought him from Bob at Lost River Game Farm and they were awesome. I would recommend them to anyone!

Kuvo is a cinnamon color male. He will be 5 weeks at the end of this week. Kuvo is still on formula and a wet dog food diet. We also give him some treats that have taurine in them. As stated before he is pretty much house broke and he also LOVES walking on his harness and lease. We live on a farm so he has ALOT of room to play plus only neighbors we have are family so we don't really have to worry about neighbors on our walks. (I've read of people's neighbors reporting them or people in public making a big deal about them)

Only real question I wanted to ask is when should I start progressing to dry dog food? Also when he is on a dry dog food diet should I feed him 50% dog food and 50% cat food so that he gets taurine (I have read a couple places that was a good route to go)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New fox owners :) (couple ?s)

Postby pat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:52 am

congratulations on your new fox.

please keep in mind, at 4 weeks old, there generally is not many problems.
also, as they reach 3-4 months, you will see a change. they develop fear.
not saying he will be afraid of you. a lot depends on how much time is spent with him.

not sure how much research you have done on foxes prior to buying him.
will your fox have a pen? keep in mind, as they get mature, they mark.

he will need more than just dog food as he grows. some owners feed raw.
I personally do not. mine get cooked chicken, along with a little grain free dog food.
and chicken/turkey giblets. also I mix a can of cat food in their dry. they love raw eggs.

please see the fox q&A at the top of this forum, hopefully, it will help a little.

(I moved your post to the fox forum, you will get better views here)

don't' forget pictures, we all would love to see some.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:10 am

Some dog foods have Taurine in them. (Innova rings a bell). I would suggest having a high quality dog kibble with Taurine as the base diet and add raw as you are able to afford it. The Costco in my area sometimes has whole chickens, guts and all, for 99 cents a pound. Mixing cat food with a high quality dog kibble (that doesn't have Taurine already) is fine but beware be side cat food is high in fat! Better to go with good Taurine dog food and raw/cooked meats*.

Be ready to work with nipping and biting! Kits at 4 weeks haven't started teething or their uber destructive naming yet.

Pics!!! Please. :3

*Cooking meat kills the Taurine in it. Do not cook your fox's meat if you expect him to get all his Taurine from meat add ons.
~RabbleFox
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Edit: Depending on the formula, some Innova has Tairune. I just checked, Canidae Land does have Taurine.
~RabbleFox
Crafty

Postby Crafty » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:02 pm

In addition to Innova and Canidae, dog foods from Infinia, Solid Gold, Blue Buffalo, Life's Abundance, Natural Balance, Nature's Select, TimberWolf Platinum, Wellness Core/Simple, and Wysong Epigen contain taurine as well. I am sure others do, too.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:55 pm

I suggest feeding raw chicken. My fox Fable just loves it. Also, feeding raw gives them the taurine--if it's cooked, then the taurine is cooked out of it.

I agree with Pat about an outdoor enclosure. It's a must for when the fox gets older. Foxes are very destructive and will get bored easily. Being outdoors keeps them happy. You can always bring them inside though for supervised visits.

Congrats on your new addition! I just love cinnamon foxes.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
ringtailroxy

Postby ringtailroxy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:38 pm

I just made up Graphite's meals for the next 3 days...this time it's raw ground turkey, chicken gizzards, 1 raw egg, 2 tablespoons of goat cheese, oats, wheat bran, parsley, one teaspoon olive oil, 2 vitamins, with pineapple, peaches and strawberries. I freeze some and keep one container open for no more than 24 hours. (gets pretty rank after the first 24)

He gets Wee Bits by Solid Gold (Bison & salmon base, 28% protein) once a day as a bowl that full for munching... and I hand-feed him the raw mix twice daily, as much as he wants.

Although he's still very lean to me! He's been vaccinated once, dewormed twice, and is 4 pounds at 12 weeks. I can still feel his ribs and spinal process, and the top of his hipbones! To me, his borderline thin. Then again, I think all babies should be plumb little tubs of cuteness. He's very "leggy" and really seems to be coming around nicely.

Are fox just lean in general? His coat is AMAZING. Plush and smells so amazing! (Although he does get a bath every Saturday because he urinates on his belly and front legs.)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:22 pm

What an amazing meal! You're sure spoiling the little tike, ringtail. I wish I had been more pro-active when Fable was little and fed him like that.

Yes, foxes are quite lean. You should always be able to feel their ribs and their hip-bones if you push against them. What I've learned, is foxes will maintain their own healthy weight, you really don't need to worry about feeding them too much. They just don't get fat. Unlike almost every other animal, they're the type that you can leave an entire feast for and they'll only eat what they need. So if you feel Graphite might be a little on the skinny side, give him more food. He'll still maintain a healthy, balanced weight.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:59 pm

I would imagine that foxes that are fed mostly raw probably don't get fat and only eat what they need and I would imagine that dogs and cats would do the same if fed raw. The thing with manufactured food, especially dry ones, is that they're specifically made to have a very high palatability (a lot of fat is often used to reduce dust in dry foods), meaning that a pet is more likely to overeat.
Talys

Postby Talys » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:04 am

veralidaine wrote:I would imagine that foxes that are fed mostly raw probably don't get fat and only eat what they need and I would imagine that dogs and cats would do the same if fed raw. The thing with manufactured food, especially dry ones, is that they're specifically made to have a very high palatability (a lot of fat is often used to reduce dust in dry foods), meaning that a pet is more likely to overeat.

From everything that I've heard/read, that is definitely true.
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:04 am

However we must factor in that most foxes are more active than your average dog. Most of their intake of calories will be used during the day. Or rather should be used during the day.

I'd also think that a fox can get fat on raw. Gizmo got a little chubby after he could no longer go on walks and he was fed exclusively raw. That's why Ragtatter thought up the recovery raw recipe diet.

http://www.thepetfox.net/2010/02/one-fat-fox.html?m=1

Foxes regulate their intake but if they're hungry and only something slightly too high in fat is available (raw or wet or kibble) they'll eat it. To me it's not what kind of food but rather fat content. :) Intake needs to = output.
~RabbleFox
Kamal

Postby Kamal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:15 am

I dont think they will reply - if the thread was moved from its original place and the couple maybe a bit less into computer use (regarding their living surrounding) they wont find this thread.
Jesseing

Postby Jesseing » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:01 am

I'd personally suppose that foxes that are raised on mainly raw probably avoid getting excess fat in support of eat what they already want i would suppose that monkeys and horses might perform identical in case provided natural. The one thing together with made foods, specially dried out kinds, is they may be specifically made to have a high palatability (lots of extra fat is frequently utilized to decrease dirt within dried up food), and thus a pet is much more more likely to binge.
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:39 am

I defiantly recommend having a plan to sanitize the fox's main living space. After about 8 weeks they start developing their musk and it can be pretty powerful. I find a wipe down of 10% bleach twice a week goes a long ways in addressing this problem.

Return to “FOXES”