PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

? about Arkansas foxes

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

meadow

? about Arkansas foxes

Postby meadow » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:33 pm

Summary of Law: It is unlawful to own or possess a large carnivore for personal
possession. A large carnivore is defined as a lion, tiger or bear. It is unlawful to possess
6 or more bobcat, coyote, deer, gray fox, red fox, opossum, quail, rabbit, raccoon and
squirrel. If a person wishes to possess other animals not originally from the state and
not listed above then the person must show upon request verification that the animal
was legally acquired in the previous state. USDA licensed people are among the
exemptions in §20-19-503

Arkansas Code Annotated §20-19-501 through §20-19-511 & GFC 18.17

Arkansas Game & Fish Commission
http://www.agfc.com/

http://www.agfc.com/pdfs/agfc_code_of_regulations.pdf

Native pets allowed: bobcat, coyote, deer, gray fox, red fox, opossum, quail, rabbit,
raccoon and squirrel
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Code Book -Section 15.41 Native Wildlife Pets
Section 15.37 and 15.38 on Importation from another statey

(they ban importation of foxes from 19 states: [Gray and red foxes that originate or have
lived in Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana,
Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas,
Vermont, Wisconsin, Wyoming or Canada.] ).

notes: no permit needed; one time $25 "importation permit" to bring in a fox from out of
state. Arkansas also allows you to catch a fox in the wild to keep as a pet (section 15.41
A). Also, limit of 6 foxes per household.

My questions are-
• how do you obtain verification from the previous state if you are moving to Arkansas. Do you have to have the verification on you before entering into Arkansas?
•If these 19 States dont allow importation of foxes, does that mean I can't buy a fox from their state? * example, if i drove from Arkansas to a neighboring state to buy my fox then drive it home (but that state didnt allow me to bring the fox into Arkansas, how would I bring my fox into Arkansas legally? Would I take it home from a different state or try to just find a local Arkansas breeder? And if the 19 states ban importation of foxes, why are they saying to pay $25 fee to import when it would be " banned"? (Im confused about it. If no permits if required.)
•Do you guys know of any other states that dont need permits to legally own a fox?
•In Arkansas, which town/ cities allow foxes or is it legal anywhere in Arkansas?
•Can the fox be inside the house with an enclosure or only enclosed outdoors?
•Can it go outside for walks or will that cause the cops to come and euthanize my pet? If cops come, then what do I do to legally keep my fox?
•Anyone know of any Arkansas veterinarians and legal local fox breeders?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ? about Arkansas foxes

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:23 pm

I went ahead and I moved your topic to the fox forum. That's where it fits best, and you'll get a lot more replies. ;)

I'll try to help answer some of your questions.
__
• how do you obtain verification from the previous state if you are moving to Arkansas. Do you have to have the verification on you before entering into Arkansas?

Yes, I'm sure you have to have verification before the fox is brought into Arkansas. That's how it works for almost all states, though there are exceptions. For a question like this, it would be best to call the Arkansas's Department of Natural Resources to get the specifics.
__
•If these 19 States dont allow importation of foxes, does that mean I can't buy a fox from their state? * example, if i drove from Arkansas to a neighboring state to buy my fox then drive it home (but that state didnt allow me to bring the fox into Arkansas, how would I bring my fox into Arkansas legally? Would I take it home from a different state or try to just find a local Arkansas breeder? And if the 19 states ban importation of foxes, why are they saying to pay $25 fee to import when it would be " banned"? (Im confused about it. If no permits if required.)

No, you can't buy foxes from the states listed. They are most likely not allowed to be imported from those states for health reasons, would be my guess. You would not be able to bring the fox into the state if bought from one of the restricted 19. The best thing to do is to find a different breeder in a state not listed, or to find one in Arkansas (though I'm pretty sure there are no breeders in Arkansas). It will take some digging, but you'll find someone. Maybe ask in the breeder's section of the forum.

As for the importation fee, that's pretty standard regardless of which state you're living in. It allows the state to keep tabs on what animals are being imported. Almost all states have importation permit requirements, some in the form of fees, others in health certificates, etc.
__
•Do you guys know of any other states that dont need permits to legally own a fox?

Most states require permits. And just because a state requires a permit doesn't mean you should shy away from it. For example, in Illinois one needs the fur-bearing mammal breeder's permit. But it is just a matter of going online, paying a fee, and then printing it out. Super easy. There are few states that don't require permits, and I don't know any off the top of my head. When owning an exotic like a fox, be ready to have to pay a little bit in permit fees. It also depends on the specie of fox; in some states you don't need permits for non-native animals. Like in Illinois you don't need a permit for a fennec fox. So it really just depends on the state and the species.
__
•In Arkansas, which town/ cities allow foxes or is it legal anywhere in Arkansas?

That's quite a big question. Chances are you will have to research that for yourself. Call the different city halls and ask for copies of their animal ordinances, and then see their policy on wild animals. After reviewing the law, you will want to double-check and get a written okay before bringing a fox or other exotic in city limits.
__
•Can the fox be inside the house with an enclosure or only enclosed outdoors?

Seeing as there is no mention in the law you stated, it can probably be kept in either legally. However, you must have an outdoor enclosure for red foxes, arctics, and probably also gray foxes. It is unfair to keep them indoors and they will get very stressed and this causes behavior problems and aggression issues. Build an outdoor enclosure before you bring the fox home. It will save you and the fox a lot of grief.
__
•Can it go outside for walks or will that cause the cops to come and euthanize my pet? If cops come, then what do I do to legally keep my fox?

It is generally not advised to walk your fox or exotic in public for this very reason. It often causes undue stress and legal trouble. There have been multiple cases where someone was walking their fox legally, only to have it seized by police. If you want to walk your fox in public, then always carry a copy of the state laws, city laws, and your permit. But it is generally advised to only walk your fox on your property. I would walk my fox around the block when I lived in Illinois, but I probably wouldn't do that now due to all of the horror stories I have heard.
__
•Anyone know of any Arkansas veterinarians and legal local fox breeders?

Sorry, not off the top of my head. I don't think anyone has found any fox breeders in Arkansas. The best place for this question would be the breeder's forum, and then the vet listings forum. I don't think you'll get too many replies though, because I don't think we currently have any active members from Arkansas. You may wish to ask foxalbiazul. He was a member here for a while, and he currently has tons of videos of his fox on youtube and he's always willing to answer all questions. He is from Arkansas I believe and he has a pet fox named RonRon.
__
Welcome to the forum, by the way. :) It's great to have another person interested in sharing their life with a fox.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
dragonking

Re: ? about Arkansas foxes

Postby dragonking » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:32 pm

If the cops come, ask for a warrant. As long as they don't have one then they can't do squat.

About the importation, if the states are listed under the §20-19-503 part, then USDA license gets around the ban. I don't feel like digging through legalize of a state I don't live in right now so...

For proof that your fox is legal in your currant state, get in touch with Arkansas DNR about it and they should tell you what specifically is needed. Then ask your states DNR and whatnot about getting that proof for when you move there.

If you go to the laws forum, there is a sub-forum with summaries of each states rulings on exotic animal ownership. That should help with which states allow what.

To check a specific town, you can look up what town and county you are moving into and check their ordinances.

The state/county/town laws will determine if the fox has to stay in the enclosure all the time or not.

Usually it's advised not to walk you fox in a civilized area to prevent people freaking out or causing a fuss. You could probably find a place to walk your fox without having to worry about it, like along a trail or small mostly unused park. Or a really big field.

For the most part, as long as it's legal to have the fox, the only reason for it to be confiscated is if someone claims they were bitten by it. Having a chat with your local Police Department where you show them that yes the fox is legal might help a bit as they will know about it, but that might be a shady area.

Furthermore, unless they have a cop with them, animal control shouldn't be let in your house and make sure the enclosure is inside a privacy fenced area, so you can sue them for trespassing if they try anything. (don't take the sueing seriously, unless someone better versed in dealing with them agrees with me)

EDIT: guess ash posted while i was writing...

Return to “FOXES”