PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hello!! :)

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Rose32146

Hello!! :)

Postby Rose32146 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Hello! I'm really new to this, my names rose and I'm completely fascinated with all kinds of foxes.
And if I'm being honest I'm new to owning an exotic pet. I bought this fox two days ago.
He's a red male fox. I'm struggling with Oliver, he's extremely extremely timid. I always have to stay still whenever he approaches me because even the slightest movement will have him flinching and running away as if his life depends on it. The first day I got him, he would just stay in a corner of the room but he let me pet him. I wouldn't try carrying him, I think he's still too scared. But everyday for the past two days I pet him a bit and for the rest of the time I just sit and talk, as I was advised to do. But even though he's always scared, he definitely has his lively moments. Today he was running around like a crazed dog! Playing with my crocs and stealing my food. I didn't mind though
Anyway, I really do hope that I could learn from your experiences to make mine easier.
Also, I'm sorry if anything sounds weird or stupid, after all, in contrast to you guys,I have zero experience with foxes or any other exotic animal for that matter.
Thank you!!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello!! :)

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi, and welcome. There are no stupid questions except for the ones not asked. So no worries there. ;)

Oliver sounds like a hard case. Is Oliver a kit, or an adult fox? That will make all the difference.

If you are planning on keeping him, Oliver needs an outdoor enclosure ASAP. This will make him feel secure and comfortable, as well as reduce the damage to your house. Living in an outdoor enclosure has helped many foxes with behavioral issues. We recommend a minimum size 10X10 with a top and a bottom since foxes will climb or dig out when they have the chance.

What are you feeding him? If he's an adult, he will need meat in his diet, and especially taurine. Taurine is found in dark meats. This is absolutely essential to a fox's health. Without it, the fox will die, and not having enough will make the fox extremely aggressive. Veggies are good too.

What most owners do, is they feed their fox a staple of high-quality dry dog food (high in protein with little grain). Give the fox as much dog food as it wants and will eat. And also provide meats, especially poultry. Be sure to provide a good bit of dark meats, like hearts and liver since that's where the taurine comes from. And then a few veggies will be good. Mine likes cucumbers and carrots best.

If he's a kit, and depending on his age, you may want to put him back on a bottle and give him puppy formula. If the kit is around 5-6 weeks, you can transition him to wet puppy food, and then eventually you can switch him completely over to the diet I mentioned above for the adult fox.

I'm going to move your post to the fox forum so that more people will see it.

Thank-you for finding us. I hope we'll be able to help you out. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask whatever you need.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Rose32146

Postby Rose32146 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:21 am

Thank you for the welcome Ash! I appreciate it.
Oliver isn't a kit, he's about a year old. I am most definitely getting him outdoor enclosure soon! We're currantly building it because I couldn't find the big size that I wanted. Thank you for the recommendation and I think I'm building it to be a bit bigger since we have the space. If you could be a bit specific with the dog food. Maybe give me a name or brand I could depend on I'd be really thankful! I cannot thank you enough for telling me about feeding him liver and hearts for the taurine. I wasn't aware of its importance. I do feed him lots of chicken. I would never want him to become aggressive or die, god forbid, just because I didn't provide what could easily be provided.
I really want to start walking him, since I was told it was important. But I honestly don't know how to Approach him with the leash. He's so scared of it. And I guess it's natural but he just is so scared and I don't want him to become as timid or scared of me as he was on the first day I got him, he's just recently gotten used to me.
Thank you thank you thank you for all your advice I really appreciate the help!
I feel supported! :)
I hope it won't bother you that I'm gonna ask many questions, I don't want anything bad to happen just because I'm ignorant.
dragonking

Postby dragonking » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:00 am

Blue buffalo is a good one. If you go to dog food advisor and any of the highly rated ones should work. They also have nutritional facts for each brand/type.

Since he's an adult, you may have a harder time with him. Where did you buy him, and what do you know of his first several months of life? If he had lots of human interaction as a kit, once he gets an outdoor enclosure and gets used to his new habitat, he should calm down a lot. If he was plucked from the wild, then sold off when the person realized what they got into, then... :shrug:
Rose32146

Postby Rose32146 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:46 am

Unfortunately, I know nothing about his first few months as a kit. I do not know if he's had lots of human interaction, I bought him from a guy that told me he got him from outside of the country. I don't even know if he was saying the truth.
What I do know is I'm gonna try my best to work my way around this because when I first bought him, he looked like he'd been through hell. I don't know if it was right of me to think that he was hurt by people because of the way he acts around me but when I got him I really thought he needed someone to take care of him. He seemd so scared of everything! And I just had to take him in. Thank you for the advice on both the food, and the outdoor enclosure. I'm gonna put him out and I'll see what happens.
Um, since maybe you guys are are experienced is there ANY way I could find out if he was "plucked from the wild"?!!!
I can't contact the guy I got him from, that's out of question.
Is there any other way I could ever find out?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi Rose,
sorry for taking to so long to welcome you.. glad you joined us..

since you bought an adult fox, please keep in mind, he will be afraid for awhile, and will need sometime to adjust to his new environment. so take new steps slow.. sounds you are doing good with him. an adult fox will take much longer than a kit to adjust.. usually adult foxes are hard to re-home. some foxes do better than others.

but, sounds like you are making progress pretty quick.

I doubt you will ever know if if your fox was pulled from the wild. if you could attempt to ask the previous owner for a copy of his bill of sale... I have a feeling he was from the wild, but, I cannot be sure...

I would be curious as to why this guy wanted to re-home him... unless he didn't have a pen for him, and realized the odor
inside :shrug:

again, thank you for joining us.. we are here to help..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:32 pm

I personally wouldn't walk him. The added stress of a harness/collar and leash will probably just be detrimental to your relationship with him. Even foxes that have grown up with the harness still hate it. My fox hates, hates, hates getting his harness put on, and if I'm not successful getting it on him the first try, he avoids me completely--and he grew up with it and is super tame already.

Glad you're making progress with him, and it's great you're getting that enclosure built. The enclosure is probably the most important thing after getting the diet right.

Blue Buffalo is good, as was mentioned. :) If the ingredients has meat listed first, it's typically a good food.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:03 pm

Hey, how are things going with Oliver? We haven't heard from you in a while, and I hope things are going well for you and your foxy.
Rose32146

Postby Rose32146 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:59 am

Aw, thank you so much Ash!! Things are going really well!
I realized that definitely, things aren't easy. And taking care of a fox is most definitely not like taking care of a cat or dog! But he is worth everything we spent on him.
I really, honestly couldn't have done it without you and the others that helped so thank you so much!!
If I have questions, which I probably will.
I won't hesitate to ask, hope you don't mind. :)
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun May 04, 2014 4:20 pm

Not read all of this thread but I will when I have a chance.
Just saw where Ash said taurine is found in dark meat which it is but it is also found in light meat. Here are a few places you can find taurine:
beef muscle 10 mg/oz raw 1.7mg/oz cooked
beef liver 5.5 mg/oz raw
lamb13.5 mg/oz raw 3.6mg/oz cooked
chicken 9.5mg/oz raw 2.3mg/oz cooked
fish 36mg/oz raw
shrimp 48mg/oz raw

With regards to walking Oliver with him already being an adult it may never really be possible as normally you harness train from an early age. A large enclosure with plenty of enrichment would be fine though.
One of my arctics I got when he was an adult and though he is now tame he does not go on walks but he is perfectly fit and healthy so don't feel bad.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!

Return to “FOXES”