PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Pacific Northwest Areas/Laws

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Desilyvahn

Pacific Northwest Areas/Laws

Postby Desilyvahn » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Hello to all fellow fox enthusiasts! It has been my dream for many years to own a beautiful red fox. I've been researching for what seems like forever! Anyone who knows me moderately well knows about my obsession. My room is filled with fox accessories and knick knacks! My first tattoo was a watercolor fox on my wrist :)

I'm a native to south Georgia but I dream of moving out west surrounded by beautiful snowy forests and mountains. My boyfriend and I are actively saving towards a big move and a fresh start. We plan to settle somewhere on the west coast by fall of 2015.

Once we get settled and on our feet, my plan is to adopt a fox kit. My concern is which states allow foxes and which don't. I've looked through many of the state laws on this forum but I'm not sure if any have been updated or changed since. My boyfriend and I don't have a particular state in mind that we are set on, however we want to live somewhere scenic and cold that has a broad range of outdoor activities.

I've been really interested in Oregon as I've done more and more research. We were also looking at Utah. Does anyone living in the PNW have any updated information on these state laws or perhaps have any other recommendations for states that do allow red foxes that we may be interested in? We are in our early twenties. I love coffee and plan on opening my own shop one day. My boyfriend enjoys car mods and a good craft beer. We want to live somewhere close to mountains so that we can hike/camp on weekends but with easy access to a large city. These are things I'm taking into consideration for the place that we choose.

Thanks so much!
BlueBaby1023

Re: Pacific Northwest Areas/Laws

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:56 pm

I am a bit biased, but I love Oregon. I went to school there. But they are a no go as far as Red Foxes go. Washington as pretty good structure for educational use of foxes, but I'm assuming you don't want to deal with the red tape of getting a USDA Class C license to exhibit.

Unfortunately, the actual west coast just isn't a good area for exotic owners. Utah, on the other hand, allows foxes to be owned at a statewide level, but most cities ban them if I'm not mistaken so you would need to live out in a county that allows them away from a city limit. Ash will know more about that, she lives in Utah.

Good luck settling down! :) I hope to go back to the west coast as an educator eventually, as I deeply miss the Portland area. That, or we may end up in Indiana or the UK even.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
dragonking

Postby dragonking » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:00 pm

While they might've changed in the couple years since I last really researched them, Washington State law only prohibits the import/export of foxes unless you have a USDA license. The state laws forum has rough summaries for each state, and are usually updated whenever a major change in that state laws affect ownership rights.

http://raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewforum.php?f=71
Here is the thread for the Oregon laws: http://raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9071

If you really like coffee and mountains, living in the suburbs near Seattle can probably help. Lots of mountains in the western half of the state, if you don't live directly in the city, then you likely are surrounded by forests, and across the Puget Sound is the Olympic Peninsula which is like 75% the Olympic National Park. You would then just have to have an USDA Exhibitor permit to get your fox.
EmilyGrace

Postby EmilyGrace » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Hello and welcome!
I hope to own foxes one day And I live about 20 minutes from Portland, OR. I've lived here my whole life And I love it. You're not 45 minutes away from the best hiking And camping in the Columbia Gorge And Mt.Hood National Forest, a hour away from snow play on Mt.Hood, 3 hours from the beautiful gray Oregon beaches to the west And high desert to the east. So I'm biased, but I'd recommend Portland and surrounding areas as the best PNW place to live.

I believe to own reds and fennecs in Oregon (can't remember if this rule also applied to arctics or Grays as well) you have to have a USDA permit and exhibit the animal in order to keep it. But each city will have it's own laws, and there are zoning laws as well that you HAVE to check and double check to make sure your fox is legal. Otherwise it will be taken away and euthanized. Local officials may not be as familiar with the laws as they pretend to be-take no one at their word and get everything in writing!

It is generally recommended on this board to live in a rural area, and the less people who know you keep a fox the better, as there are people out there who would rather see these animals dead than in captivity.

Also, near in mind that there is no approved rabies vaccine for foxes (the ferret one works fine, but the government refuses to approve it). So if your fox bites, licks, or scratches someone and they complain, your fox will have to be euthanized to perform the rabies test. So guard your baby very carefully.

Other things: finding a vet to care for foxes can be difficult, so make sure you locate one and make sure they are able and willing to before getting a kit. Lastly, learn everything you about them!

Now the obligatory speech is over, if you do move to Oregon and get a fox, we should have foxy playdates! :D
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi, I'm a Utahn. ;)

Only red foxes (vulpes vulpes) are legal in Utah. All other species are banned. Vulpes vulpes are legal statewide, BUT (as bluebaby mentioned) almost every city here bans them. I'll be honest, it's almost impossible finding a city that does allow them to be kept as pets, and those ones are generally small agricultural towns that like to keep animal laws off the books to make farming easier.

The majority of Utahn pet fox owners are keeping their animals illegally--which is very sad and worrisome. I have heard several stories of foxes being seized by authorities out here in the past. :(

So if you do come to Utah, make sure you live outside of incorporated city boundaries--so in the country. That way you are only governed by state and county laws--not city laws. All of the county laws I have personally read (I admit I have not read every single county law) defer to state law, which makes them Vulpes vulpes friendly.

If you are the type of person who needs a city around you to feel comfortable, it will be pretty difficult/impossible to own a fox. I haven't looked into every city either (I have looked at a good majority of the populated cities), so there may be a few out there that does allow it. If you are willing to live on a few acres with farmers and orchards around you though, that opens up a lot more options.

Anyway, I hope that helps. ;) If you're interested in mountains, Utah has plenty of them--too many of them, lol (in my opinion). There are lots of trails and places to hike. Very, VERY dry out here during summertime and wintertime, but overall it's nice. I wish there was more "greenery" like there is in the midwest, but there are always pros and cons.

Keep us updated on your fox quest, please. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:38 pm

As others have said, Utah and Oregon (with USDA exhibitor's license) is about as far west as you can go with foxes. The Midwest in general it seems like the best places for foxes, and that could have to do with the fact that there is a lot of farming communities out here and foxes (at least reds, grays and arctics) are traditionally considered livestock.

I would love to hear of people legally having foxes in Oregon, it's a really pretty and lovely state.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Alynn: There is one exhibitor of a red fox in the Portland, Oregon area. I never met them, but a USDA exhibitor in Eugene (no foxes, but they had lemurs, coatis, skunks, etc.) mentioned them to me. That is actually how I found this site, as I started googling around for the laws regarding exhibiting foxes in Oregon. At the time I spoke to the exhibitor in Eugene, they were the only person with a fox in Oregon. Since that was last wintertime, I'd imagine that they are still the only one.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Piles of red tape for Idaho and Washington. As a private citizen both are pretty much out.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:08 am

You can own one in Idaho, BUT it is illegal to import them and there are no breeders in the state. So it's pretty much a complete ban. I still can't figure out the loopholes you jumped through, Lupercus. But I know you went through heck getting your permits for yours.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:37 am

Lupercus: I'm not 100% sure because I haven't actually spoken to someone, but it seems fairly easy to get an import permit to Washington as long as you have a USDA Class C license and actually exhibit.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:51 am

Ash wrote:You can own one in Idaho, BUT it is illegal to import them and there are no breeders in the state. So it's pretty much a complete ban. I still can't figure out the loopholes you jumped through, Lupercus. But I know you went through heck getting your permits for yours.

That's kind of an oxymoron of a law, isn't it? Lol, a lot of states do that I noticed, and I thought Utah's exotic animal laws where contradictory :icon-wink:
dragonking

Postby dragonking » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:38 am

the_randomizer wrote:
Ash wrote:You can own one in Idaho, BUT it is illegal to import them and there are no breeders in the state. So it's pretty much a complete ban. I still can't figure out the loopholes you jumped through, Lupercus. But I know you went through heck getting your permits for yours.

That's kind of an oxymoron of a law, isn't it? Lol, a lot of states do that I noticed, and I thought Utah's exotic animal laws where contradictory :icon-wink:

It's mainly a way to stop it without punishing exotic farms/rescues/zoos, at least that's the way I think it is. Doing it like that kinda prevent the average person from getting them as an impulse buy and end up neglecting the animal some way or another. Like with Washington, the law prohibiting import is a Department of Health law, the Department of Agriculture and the Fish and Wildlife people both had nothing against them in the law so when I had asked them back when I was first doing my research they responded with green lights. Then I decided to keep digging through the state laws and ordinances and ended up finding the DoH restriction.
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:36 am

In Idaho half the trouble is "agency rulemaking" We are pretty light on actual laws so the bureaucrats fill in the rest and their "rules" carry the weight of law.

One such individual once told me "If you wanted to import 1,500 head I wouldn't have batted an eye (implying big business), but since you just wanted one or two you might be a problem."

This of course is the same guy that gave me so much trouble after I got initially approved (and thus invested money) as my plans were consistent with state law that I had to drive 300 miles to catch him at his office and demand he speak with me as he tried the "if I ignore him he will get bored and go away so I don't have to make a decision I might get in trouble for" routine. He actually made me argue whether or not having one or two cows counted as pets or a agricultural venture (a point that stumped him as the idea never occurred to him).

Return to “FOXES”