PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fox owning in Utah

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

WildChemical

Fox owning in Utah

Postby WildChemical » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:45 pm

I have been trying to figure out exactly what cities allow you to own foxes in Utah but have had no luck. I know they are legal in some cities because I have come across a few fox owners but, I do not know which cities. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)
dragonking

Re: Fox owning in Utah

Postby dragonking » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:39 pm

It'd be kinda hard to go city by city, since there are 240-ish cities. Easier thing to do would be look at the counties first, use that to narrow down which cities to look at. Especially since you can live outside of a city where only the county laws would affect you.
amandagm

Postby amandagm » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Go to your city/county's Planning and Zoning office and ask them in person. Do not call them on the phone. Even if the city I live in (in Utah) they will tell you they are illegal over the phone but if you go in person and ask them print the code they are not banned. In my experience if you call them they will give a blanket "no" without even looking it up. Ask them to print the code on their letterhead with a date and if possible the signature of the person who printed it.
There are several places online you can look up local codes and ordinaces but Utah isn't that great about updating them so its always best to go in person. We had to get signatures from Planning and Zoning, Animal Control and the Health Department to be legal. Its always best to get it in writing and keep it in your files.
In Utah you'll have much better luck with less restrictive laws if you live in the county vs. the city.
WildChemical

Postby WildChemical » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:34 pm

Right now I'm not currently in Utah so I sadly can't go in personally but I will see if one of my friends there are willing to go in for me.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:18 pm

PM me your city and I can get back to you. I've been filling out a chart with all the exotic animal legalities in Utah.

EDIT: There are VERY few cities that will allow you to actually keep them in city limits. In Utah, almost every city bans them. So your best bet is to find a place to live in the country, just outside of city limits, or in an unincorporated town. Or also small, agricultural towns will be okay (that's where I live).
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:26 pm

Here is a list of definite illegal cities:

Holladay
Murray
Riverton
Salt Lake City
South Jordan
North Ogden
Lehi
Orem
Provo
Santaquin
Springville

If there is a city that is NOT on that list that you are curious about, ask me and I will research it for you and add it to my current list, and I'll get back to you on the laws. Since I'm hoping to start breeding exotics soon, I make it my business to know the legalities of every city here. :icon-wink:

I have another list of cities where they are legal with city/state permits as pets, but most of them are hardly looking into because what they require is a bit beyond your control (like consent from neighborhood and things like that).
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Kweta

Postby Kweta » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:13 am

Ash wrote:Here is a list of definite illegal cities:

Holladay
Murray
Riverton
Salt Lake City
South Jordan
North Ogden
Lehi
Orem
Provo
Santaquin
Springville

If there is a city that is NOT on that list that you are curious about, ask me and I will research it for you and add it to my current list, and I'll get back to you on the laws. Since I'm hoping to start breeding exotics soon, I make it my business to know the legalities of every city here. :icon-wink:

I have another list of cities where they are legal with city/state permits as pets, but most of them are hardly looking into because what they require is a bit beyond your control (like consent from neighborhood and things like that).

Do you know if draper is legal?!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:49 pm

Off the top of my head, I'm saying no. I can double-check and see for you.

Fox ownership is rumored to be banned again in Utah soon. Just a head's up. You may need a COR (variance) from the Department of Wildlife Resources in the future.
Havoc&Stark

Postby Havoc&Stark » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:45 pm

Hey Ash! Just wanted to add to your list, Foxes are also illegal to own in North Logan, UT
Proud mommy to 1 Fox, 2 Standard Poodles, 1 Aussie, 2 Leopard Gecko, 1 White's Tree Frog, 1 Pygmy Goat, 1 F1 Savannah Cat
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks! :) Are you a Utahn??
Havoc&Stark

Postby Havoc&Stark » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:06 pm

Yeah I am, we have spoke on many occasions before but under my partners account name Wander4. I'm currently in smithfield
Proud mommy to 1 Fox, 2 Standard Poodles, 1 Aussie, 2 Leopard Gecko, 1 White's Tree Frog, 1 Pygmy Goat, 1 F1 Savannah Cat
Rimskaya

Postby Rimskaya » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:44 pm

It's my understanding that they're illegal in Utah county
the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:38 pm

Rimskaya wrote:It's my understanding that they're illegal in Utah county

Yes and no, it's very tricky and confusing. In places like Genola, fox ownership is legal at least I believe it to be, but is out of Utah county jurisdiction, there's a facility there that houses rescued animals, so yeah, Utah isn't very clear on its laws.
Xcrasianxhirox

Postby Xcrasianxhirox » Thu May 19, 2016 6:05 pm

Does anyone know the law for eagle mountain? Or which cities specifically do allow it? I'm in eagle mountain now but looking to move soon and want to make sure I move somewhere I could have a fox.
Xcrasianxhirox

Postby Xcrasianxhirox » Thu May 19, 2016 6:24 pm

Just to clarify, I have done research on the county and city but eagle mountains website is terrible and it's all so confusing I'm having a hard time finding the correct information :(

Return to “FOXES”