https://www.gofundme.com/f/my-sick-beagle-dog

could anyone post this on their Facebook, or whatever they have for media
It is for Lucy (my beagle) she has some serious health issues.
=======================================

Dog food recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14747

whats with the butt fur

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Aeroz

whats with the butt fur

Postby Aeroz » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:07 am

I have noticed some very thick fur around my red foxes flank that I dont recall being there before. Its very fuzz, reminding me of wool (to be clear I mean when its still on the sheep). Is she like getting in a winter coat or something?
Alynn

Re: whats with the butt fur

Postby Alynn » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:42 pm

Is it matting? Sometimes their fur will mat up around their flanks/back of their legs. I personally didn't experience this issue with my fox but I know people who have tried very hard to get matting out of the back of their fox's leg.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:55 pm

Many red foxes have this issue with fur getting thick and matted down by their haunches. It's pretty common.

I've noticed that once I put my foxes outdoors this actually fixed the problem. Last year, my foxes were garage foxes but with one wall of the garage being open to the outdoors, but this year they are totally outdoors. They had no issues during last year or this year. Around shedding season last year the fur on the haunches got a bit matted, but that's when it was all falling out at once.

Foxes that are kept indoors or are not exposed to natural lighting can develop coat "issues" or grow/shed their winter coats late. A friend who works at an educational/rescue facility close by me can always tell when a fox has been an indoor fox vs and outdoor fox, because the coat will tell you. Especially if the coat sheds out late.

Not sure how you're keeping your fox, but my guess is indoors if you're having this "problem." It's not harmful to the animal, but doesn't make them look pretty and makes it difficult to stroke their fur.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:11 am

yea after talking with others that have seen her up close it seems its just matted. I got a brush for when she was smaller but that was just meant to be a short term thing. Our dog is short haired so we dont have any proper grooming tools
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:45 am

you could try using a stainless steel comb. start combing the end of the fur and work your way up.
if the knots are really bad, cut through or off some of them.

as pointed out about your fox being indoors 24/7, the knots will continue.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “FOXES”