PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

A Project To Educate the Masses

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

kitfoxpup

A Project To Educate the Masses

Postby kitfoxpup » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:32 pm

Hey guys! I signed up on this forum particularly for this. I'm sure you'll all understand the following, especially if any of you were anime nerds once like me, but when I was younger I DESPERATELY wanted a pet fox. I still do, but I've decided to wait until I am older, have researched even more, and kids/other pets are out of the picture... And possibly, I'm living on a farm-like property. With loads of money.

But after watching several videos, I've realized that no one else has been, so far, careful like I have in researching, and that many young people are still convinced they can pull off having a fox. Tell a teenager no, and they want to do it more.

SO I've decided to work on a project that will simulate owning a fox/getting a fox. It's also going to simulate all of the million things that will happen when you don't research. It's going to be a secretly educational project, essentially. I want potential owners- be they teenagers, or adults, or someone going through a mid-life crisis- to realize the true difficulty and hazards and risks of looking into owning a fox.

I'm reading through all of the FAQ's and some of the current issues people are having, but without owning a fox, I'm definitely not as knowledgable as I could be.

If you guys could give me a basic run down of all of the most complicated aspects and the most frustrating aspects- and most especially the most frightening, from almost losting the animal- that would be fantastic. Please include the consequences had you not not known the effects.

But also share with me all of the things that made having a fox worth it- that's super important. I want to show people that, despite the insane difficulty and stress, it can still be worth it... But perhaps not for the reasons people immediately think.

Examples:

I recklessly bought a fox while living in an apartment. My fox was almost taken away from me because of the noise.
My fox escaped, but I used *insert tactics here* to get him back before anything bad could happen.
My fox had a super aggressive stage, and I used *insert tactics here* to overcome that.
I live on a huge plot of land and spend "X" amount of hours with my fox every day.
When I have visitors/strangers, I ABSOLUTELY A) either let them see my fox for a few minutes, or B) Don't let them near my fox.

Also, do foxes like muzzles? I have a feeling no, but I didn't see that yet.

Thank you in advance. Fox ownership is new, and all I can think about is foxes needing to be put down because re-homing isn't an option. I don't want people to learn by trial and error... At least not IRL.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A Project To Educate the Masses

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:00 pm

My fox escaped *once*, but I used *crazy chasing methods for several hours* to get *her* back before anything bad could happen.

My fox had a super aggressive stage, and I *changed my incorrect diet* to overcome that.

I live on a huge plot of land and spend "X" amount of hours with my fox every day. --I can't really give an amount of hours, because it certainly varies. But it is extremely important to spend as much time as possible with a fox when it is young.

When I have visitors/strangers, I ABSOLUTELY A) either let them see my fox for a few minutes, or B) Don't let them near my fox. --Highly depends. If they are trustworthy, I allow contact.

Foxes do not like muzzles. Maybe if one was trained from a super early age it might be, but in general I'm going to just say "no." They do not like being restrained to begin with, and something "scary" that was over their face that they could not get off could be extremely stressful.
When I got my foxes microchipped this year, my vet and the techs wanted to put muzzles on them so they wouldn't bite the vet techs when the chips got inserted. Knowing my foxes, I didn't want to put them through the additional trauma, so I said I would just hold them, and if they bit me, that's my problem.
Training a fox to a muzzle could be a good idea (not sure if it would work in most cases) just in case there were moments where your fox absolutely had to be handled by someone other than yourself. Like vets, animal control, etc.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
kitfoxpup

Postby kitfoxpup » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:32 pm

Ash wrote:My fox escaped *once*, but I used *crazy chasing methods for several hours* to get *her* back before anything bad could happen.

My fox had a super aggressive stage, and I *changed my incorrect diet* to overcome that.

I live on a huge plot of land and spend "X" amount of hours with my fox every day. --I can't really give an amount of hours, because it certainly varies. But it is extremely important to spend as much time as possible with a fox when it is young.

When I have visitors/strangers, I ABSOLUTELY A) either let them see my fox for a few minutes, or B) Don't let them near my fox. --Highly depends. If they are trustworthy, I allow contact.

Foxes do not like muzzles. Maybe if one was trained from a super early age it might be, but in general I'm going to just say "no." They do not like being restrained to begin with, and something "scary" that was over their face that they could not get off could be extremely stressful.

Got it. I've been reading several of the links that have been posted, and the project I'm making is going to have to have several warnings- I'm not planning to be kind to anyone who goes in and makes wrong decisions in it.

Right, so I'm going to go no on muzzles too, I was thinking along the lines of confinement as well- foxes are definitely free spirits.

Would you say that owning your fox has still been an extremely positive experience overall? What experiences have you had that let you know your fox loves you, and is a huge impact on your life? Have you received threats, and you do you deal with them??
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:45 pm

Virtual fox pet game? Sounds great. I have anteaters but these could very easily happen with foxes. So here's a couple scenarios of being stupid.

I used to sleep with my window open and when I got Pua I still did. Shortening the story eventually one of my anteaters popped the screen loose and Pua got out(the other was scared to go outside but liked sniffing out so the other popped it). I contacted a animal communicator(pet psychic) and she described an area near by where she was hanging out so I concentrated my search there and found her.

That could happen with a fox. I've heard of servals escaping that way. They see a bird and jump at the window and pop through the screen then serval is on the run for days. Totally could happen with a fox if you don't think ahead about the screens. It's actually a very common new exotic owner mistake. You might get lucky and go months even years without an incident but then something happens and they wind up out the screen. Regular window screens are not secure.

Scenario two I used to take Pua to see the Santa who sees pets. Santa enjoyed it too. But the last time she was in a mood and Santa didn't listen when I told him to just let her go and not grab her and he got scratched by her rear claw and drew blood, accidental cat scratch really. Thankfully Santa was an animal person and cool. But what most people don't know is the rabies laws usually include scratches. So had Santa been a dick or gone to his Dr for some reason and mentioned her she could be dead now. We've never been back to Santa since. Thankfully most people wont think rabies when seeing an anteater, they don't even have teeth. You're much more likely to have issues with people and a fox.
kitfoxpup

Postby kitfoxpup » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:00 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Virtual fox pet game? Sounds great. I have anteaters but these could very easily happen with foxes. So here's a couple scenarios of being stupid.

I used to sleep with my window open and when I got Pua I still did. Shortening the story eventually one of my anteaters popped the screen loose and Pua got out(the other was scared to go outside but liked sniffing out so the other popped it). I contacted a animal communicator(pet psychic) and she described an area near by where she was hanging out so I concentrated my search there and found her.

That could happen with a fox. I've heard of servals escaping that way. They see a bird and jump at the window and pop through the screen then serval is on the run for days. Totally could happen with a fox if you don't think ahead about the screens. It's actually a very common new exotic owner mistake. You might get lucky and go months even years without an incident but then something happens and they wind up out the screen. Regular window screens are not secure.

Scenario two I used to take Pua to see the Santa who sees pets. Santa enjoyed it too. But the last time she was in a mood and Santa didn't listen when I told him to just let her go and not grab her and he got scratched by her rear claw and drew blood, accidental cat scratch really. Thankfully Santa was an animal person and cool. But what most people don't know is the rabies laws usually include scratches. So had Santa been a dick or gone to his Dr for some reason and mentioned her she could be dead now. We've never been back to Santa since. Thankfully most people wont think rabies when seeing an anteater, they don't even have teeth. You're much more likely to have issues with people and a fox.

These are AWESOME experiences to work off of, thank you. The big one I'm concerned with is bites, as that will definitely get your beloved fox eauthanized. I keep thinking about the story of Vader the fox- Vader was taken with just photoshopped images from some a$$ on Tumblr as the only proof. He was eauthanized because he, in his fear at being approached rather quickly and without patience by an officer, attempted to warning bite the man. He had gloves, no blood was drawn, but that was it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:14 pm

I remember that but didn't know there was no blood drawn with the bite.
kitfoxpup

Postby kitfoxpup » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:15 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:I remember that but didn't know there was no blood drawn with the bite.

Supposedly, this is the case. At the very least there was no proof, but the cop said there was, and the owner said there wasn't. A lot was going on at the time, so honestly, there's no real way to know...
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:02 am

Sounds like a great idea to do the virtual game. People like that sort of thing, and it could be a nice, educational, but fun learning experience. I wasn't quite sure what you were describing in your first post.

Oh yeah, overall, it's been a positive experience. My foxes are my life. If I didn't have them, I feel like I wouldn't really be me, lol. I can't really picture myself ever not having a fox, to be honest.

I have not faced much opposition other than concerned neighbors. And it was frustrating when I had to get my state variance for my fox prior to bringing him into Utah. Probably one of the hardest things, is actually FINDING a place to live where I can enjoy owning my fox without living in fear. For me, I had to find a place to live out in the country. For most this would be a big inconvenience, and many do not want to live in remote locations. There are so many laws in place, and you have to follow each one. Otherwise, authorities can and will seize your animal.

I know someone who got busted for having venomous snakes, even though he was keeping them perfectly. Only problem was it just wasn't legal, and that was the end of it. He had a house fire, and the fire fighters had to mention the snakes in their report. So the state came in and seized everything. It didn't matter his level of experience, it didn't matter that they were extremely well-cared for. It was simply a matter of not obeying the law.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:27 am

Oh here's something that happens from time to time: someone decides to go on a trip with their exotic and the city, county, or state they stop in has their exotic(hypothetically in this case fox) banned. Maybe your home and destination are both legal but you pass through somewhere that isn't and your car breaks down or a blown tire while stopped to get things fixed someone sees your fox and reports you and they are confiscated. Heck this has even happened to some people with pit bulls car broke down they had to stay over night in a motel while it was fixed. Cops showed up and took the dogs from their room and they were put to sleep. Not legal in the town they broke down in.

I assume you're going more for behaviors and maybe some health type issues but Ash bringing up legalities made me think of it. Lots of people think it'll be okay to travel with their exotic but it's a huge risk even with in state travel. The longer the trip the harder it will be to check everywhere you might drive through. The safest way then to travel with your exotic if you have to is fly since you only need to know the law of your destination. That said I drove the Canada with my Anteater and certainly didn't check every city and county along the way but I do also have my USDA and should there have been a problem somewhere along the way locals are more likely to just send you on your way when they see that vs just a pet owner. Technically you are legal while on the interstate and state highways long as legal in that state but if you get off them, even if it's cuz you broke down, then you are subject to the local laws.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:34 am

My red escaped the other day, he slipped his collar when I went inside to get dinner ready. I don't know how he did it, he was there, I looked up, and he was gone. I spent 4 hours hiking and didn't find him, but at about 1:00 am, I found him in my backyard. Little stinker :p
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:08 pm

That's great he came back. The one other time Pua got out(I didn't know anteaters could open doors) she came back an hour later on her own. Just long enough for me to be panicking.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:19 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:That's great he came back. The one other time Pua got out(I didn't know anteaters could open doors) she came back an hour later on her own. Just long enough for me to be panicking.

That's terrifying, lol. She's a velociraptor...

Whisper, be very careful if you leave your fox unattended outside on a leash. Pretty much everyone who has done that has had their fox run off at one point in time. I don't think it's worth the panic it causes and the risk. So always be cautious.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:27 pm

I know, I never do, but I was really pressed for time, he hadn't been out in a week, and I was gonna be near the window almost the whole time.
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
TheGamer675

Postby TheGamer675 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Would also be cool if it had VR headset and the paddles option!

Return to “FOXES”