PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Who's getting a fox this year? 2016

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Who's getting a fox this year? 2016

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:15 pm

Well I managed to get myself on a waiting list so looks like I get to start this year's thread. I think most of our active members already have their foxes though but here goes.

Species: Fennec Fox.
Gender: whatever I get but if the litter is big enough I get a choice will go with female.
Color morph: fennecs don't come in colors ;)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Who's getting a fox this year?

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:54 pm

Congrats! :)) So happy you are finally getting one. That's super exciting! I'm sure you probably have a name picked out? But you probably want to keep it secret, lol. :P
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Who's getting a fox this year? 2016

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Thanks! I do have a name in mind. It's not as unique as I normally like to go but I've never seen another fox with the name and it is a fitting one I think.

Aside from officially, he or she will have the nickname of being my mogwai cuz my anteaters are my gremlins, they only get up after midnight.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:06 pm

very happy for you. :peng:

I am sure you are excited.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:01 pm

Thank you.

Yes, it's very exciting.
Deb13

Postby Deb13 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:43 am

I've been researching foxes all day and I really think I'd like to get one. We have 3 Maine Coon cats and my husband wanted our next pet to be something more exotic, like a Savannah cat. After looking into the exotic cats and reading about the spraying and aggression I was thinking maybe a dog. When I found an article about foxes, I was hooked and my husband loves the idea! I think after all I've read that I would like a Grey fox best. I am happy to have found this board so that I can get more information (I'm kinda nerdy that way)!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:23 am

Deb13 wrote:I've been researching foxes all day and I really think I'd like to get one. We have 3 Maine Coon cats and my husband wanted our next pet to be something more exotic, like a Savannah cat. After looking into the exotic cats and reading about the spraying and aggression I was thinking maybe a dog. When I found an article about foxes, I was hooked and my husband loves the idea! I think after all I've read that I would like a Grey fox best. I am happy to have found this board so that I can get more information (I'm kinda nerdy that way)!

welcome deb. foxes are OK, but, from my experience, I doubt I would get another one. (have 3 foxes)
they are definitely not like a dog. they mark and do stink. not very friendly like a dog would be.
to be honest, I prefer raccoons, they have much more personality. however, like all animals, they should be understood prior to buying one.

glad to hear you are researching prior to buying a fox. we are all here to help with honesty. personally, I have noticed many people want foxes, guess because of their beauty. then when some people get them, they don't understand the proper care , and don't behave the way they expected. it is very hard on foxes to re-home as they get older.
I am not trying to discourage you at all. just want to be upfront with you.

one thing though, foxes and cats don't always mix well. I have a maincoon cat myself. they are nice cats. hope to see pictures of yours and info on them in the "cat forum"

glad you joined us, feel free to ask any questions. at the top of the board, there is some care sheets and legality info.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:59 pm

Welcome. I understand being obsessed enough to spend all day reading. But you might not be ready in time for this season.

While foxes don't "spray" they do mark, though we have had varying reports on how grays mark some have said they do in fact pee too when older. They also need an outside enclosure. Though we admittedly don't have as much info on gray foxes in the house, other foxes are prone to getting aggressive if not given their own space. A gray might be okay with it's own large indoor room. I'm not sure if that is allowed though. You will have to get a permit from your state and they will have caging requirements.

Getting the permit and building the enclosure to their standards, and hopefully better since they are often minimums, can take a lot of time.

If you haven't then, I suggest read through all the archives here. I know there's not as much on gray info but most gray posts I have moved to the "Fennecs, Swift, Corsac, Gray and other rare foxes" for easy finding.
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:11 pm

I'm getting my first reds this yr :) i was going to wait after losing oy but my husband and i had already planned to make another fox part of our lives this yr before, so he said we should stick to our plan and I'm getting a new furry baby or 2 this spring :)

Species-red
Color:one red, and possibly a surprise color
Breeder-Michael fraizer at fraizer farms
Gender-I'm hoping for a boy and a girl (not to breed, just to have)but I'm going with personality more than gender :)
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:34 pm

That's great linseylou. Personally I heal better with another pet but I know many people prefer to wait. We all heal differently. I'm sure your new little ones will be good for you.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:31 pm

Ah, that's so exciting. :))) I'm so happy for you! I know you'll love your new baby so much.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:37 am

I think i do tend to heal better with another animal:) not to mention having a fox is unlike other pets so on top of missing oy, we were missing having a fox in general...oy took up so much of our time that was just unused after he left us :/ I'm so excited to get new little stinky butts this yr
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
Tooel

Postby Tooel » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:47 pm

I've been doing practically nonstop research for the past week and on top of that I've just started volunteer work at a refuge facility that has 5 red foxes. I'm planning on getting a red this spring. Not sure what color yet, or gender for that matter.
isaao12

Postby isaao12 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:37 pm

So many people getting foxes! And i have to wait another 6 years.....
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:05 pm

I actually still haven't ruled out the possibility of a kit this year. The more I think about it, the more I want to. But even though I have years of experience with foxes, have an enclosure large enough to accommodate a third one, and have the money and resources to do it--I don't know if I have the mental preparation necessary.

Takes a LOT more than just experience/research/money before one brings home an animal. I need to ask myself... Will I be able to keep it for the entirety of its life? What if it does not get along with my other animals? (In my case, what if Fable and Ifrit hate this new one?)

I have a job where I work a lot of hours now--hours that are not convenient hours either. Will I have the time to socialize and raise a little fox kit? Or will I have to dish that responsibility onto my other family members simply because I don't have time? It should be ME who is always cleaning out the litter box, wiping up the messes around the house, feeding and watering... It's not fair at all to burden those I live with with that responsibility... :/

So many things to consider, you know?

Those of you who are new to doing your research, that's great! Too many people leap into ownership without a second thought--and then do the research when they realize they didn't bring home a puppy shaped like a fox... :roll: Reading up and asking questions as much as you can is invaluable, and you will be so much better off. So thumbs up for you guys.

Even then, please still consider all the things that are making me think twice about getting a fox this year. For me, it would be "easy." But yet it's not a decision to make lightly. I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking, "Hey, I've got two foxes already--one more isn't going to be much different, so might as well." Even though that's partially true, that's the LAST way I want to approach the situation. I want it to be special. I want to be mentally prepared.

Make sure to really think it through. I waited a whole year and interned with foxes prior to finally bringing my kit home... There were foxes available when I decided I first wanted one--but that would have been way too soon, even though I'd already done lots of research. I needed that next year to prepare myself. Mentally. Financially. Just to get ready for one. To make sure it wasn't just a phase I was going through.

I encourage those of you who have just recently started looking into ownership to really make sure you're ready. They can be great pets if you are ready. If you kid yourself, and you really aren't, you're only going to be disappointed... and it's not fun for you, or fair for the fox... I'd hate for someone to get a fox only to realize they weren't ready for it and then be spending the whole first part of their fox's life stressing and worrying--as well as their animal stressing... That's a time that should be enjoyed and cherished.

Sadly, I've seen that happen a lot... Especially these past 3 years...

Hope that makes sense. I'm not saying "don't get a fox," of course. Just saying to make sure you are absolutely certain you are ready for the ride. ;)

Return to “FOXES”