ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Who's getting a fox this year? 2016

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

isaao12

Re: Who's getting a fox this year? 2016

Postby isaao12 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:42 am

I encourage those of you who have just recently started looking into ownership to really make sure you're ready. They can be great pets if you are ready. If you kid yourself, and you really aren't, you're only going to be disappointed... and it's not fun for you, or fair for the fox... I'd hate for someone to get a fox only to realize they weren't ready for it and then be spending the whole first part of their fox's life stressing and worrying--as well as their animal stressing... That's a time that should be enjoyed and cherished.

Exactly why i'm glad i got interested now instead of later.

I have many years to do my research, and find opportunities to work with foxes and learn more about them before ever getting one.

Or, since i plan to get a Bachelor's in Biological Sciences and Minor in Russian Language, then returning to school for a Master's in Zoology, maybe i could go work at "The Institute of Cytology and Genetics at Novosibirsk" and actually help domesticate foxes :egeek:

maaaaayyyyyybbbbbe
ARTICARI

Postby ARTICARI » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:44 pm

I got my kit last year and did a ton of research, this site helped me the most with understanding what really comes with getting a fox. Everyone is so helpful and positing their struggles and how they overcame them. As much work as my Arctic is I would defiantly do it over, just not this year. We are still learning so much with even after 9months, she idoesn't hesitate to show us how she can try to outsmart us! my biggest concern for a second is how they will interact. Ari has grown up with our dog since 5weeks and they get along great, but she hasn't ever interacted with another fox. Has anyone had issues bringing a second fox into the home?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:48 am

Will it be a second arctic? The different species tend to have troubles getting along.

Is he fixed. Different genders tend to be easier to introduce to each other but if you don't plan on breeding and he's intact and staying that way you'd have to go same sex. It's much rarer for people to try same sex not raised together.

Ash might chime in but she got Fable then brought in a female kit later. They had a lot of problems getting along since she was tons more hyper and he's laid back, and maybe sorta wimpy and got pushed around by her. They wound up needing separate pens till she was older, but it sounds like she still pushes him around a bit. But they're red foxes.

Elina introduced an adult male to her female arctic. It's been a long time though so can't remember how it went at first they are fine as mates now. Oh here we go, love at first site http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... -news.html

But yeah to be safe, especially if same sex be prepared with a second enclosure for the second fox and work on introductions slowly.
ARTICARI

Postby ARTICARI » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:51 am

Thanks, She isn't fixed, but we are thinking about it. Any pros or cons to that??
I think I would get another Arctic. I know that no two foxes are alike but we have had such good luck with Ari, she is the sweetest thing. And she is smaller which I like. And I would like to get another female, was worried there might be some jealousy issues. Ari is pretty spoiled and gets a lot of attention from everyone, I feel that would change with a new kit around
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:45 am

I can't think of anyone who's tried two female arctics together but in theory I think it could work since she would likely instinctively want to mother it. But will it continue once grown?

If the following is true then it would indicate it should work "Arctic foxes form monogamous pairs through a breeding season (April to May) though often several females will live together in a large and complex den that can be many years old, even centuries."

Not heard of that before but might be true cuz "A den might be used for hundreds of years and those located in sandy ridges can have over 100 entrances. According to arctic fox expert and researcher Anders Angerbjörn of Stockholm University, some dens can be up to 8,000 years old."
http://www.fjallraven.com/facts-about-the-arctic-fox

"It is also possible that additional adults stay within the den, with several breeding females nursing the offspring together."
http://www.arkive.org/arctic-fox/vulpes-lagopus/

But I don't really know. If they really are that communal then it's actually a bit sad they aren't kept in pairs more.

Then there's this " In the summer they live in family groups made up of a male, one or two females and the kits. The second female is a leftover kit from the year before" http://animallist.weebly.com/arctic-fox.html

Maybe there's some difference between different regions groups.

Either way it sounds promising they'd get along.

As for spaying, I'm not sure on arctics but in red and fennecs it's said to not really have an effect on their temperament and such. There is always some risk of a bad reaction to surgery and anesthesia but with a good vet it should be minimal.
TooManyPets

Postby TooManyPets » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:18 am

Probably not a kit this year. If my female has kits, some will probably be traded for this stunning red that is completely black except for the tip of her tail. Unfortunately Ill need cages done. 3 foxes indoors? My wife would cut me off for a year.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:30 am

I went ahead and put down a deposit a bit late last year with Tiny Tracks though I'm not sure if that means I'll be getting them possibly this year or next year, depending on how many people are in front of me.
I honestly can't imagine that there's that many people out looking to get a fox so I'm assuming likely this year but we'll see. Been spending the greater portion of last year and this year doing research and also found several vets around the area willing to take foxes.
If we do end up having to wait until next year though it won't be to big of a deal and I may send them a message about possibly switching to a grey fox, though I was hoping to get a red since it seems you can't vaccinate greys against distemper? [Been awhile since I've read up on greys]
To be specific what I'm currently on list for is a male marbled fox, or a champagne as backup/choice #2. Though I hadn't originally noticed that they mentioned that they only sell female champagnes so I may have to discuss the possibility of doing another type if that statement still valid because I'd prefer a male.. Perhaps a silver or a pearl, maybe whitemark or platinum.

My only concern is how well he will get along with our many cats but my hope is that maybe being around so many cats, he may become more desensitized to them..?[At least my big boy is friendly and accepting of all creatures] If not though of course there's always going to be the outdoor enclosure and possibly a room for him. The main problem cats I can imagine are the smallest girl[bout kitten sized and very shy] and our eldest but I doubt she'll be with us much longer.
Another concern is the reptiles but I plan on having them moved up to where they're not easy to get to or possibly have my room shut off to him but I'd prefer not to do that.
I'd have the reptiles in their own room but right now we don't have the space for that so it's either foxy gets his own room, or the reptiles. [Though my sister would likely fight against the reptiles having their own room anyways.. Can't wait till she moves out or I do. Gotta find a home to rent with someone first though around my area which is very unlikely.]
Leopard geckos 3.4 Ball pythons 1.1 Cats 1.2 Fox 1.0
The Household Geckos Tumblr
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:34 pm

@KaitouCat I'm sure they'll be no problem getting a ed he's a large breeder, you could let him know your flexible on color if either of yourmain choices are limited this year.

He'll probably be okay with your cats since raised with them but I'd keep it supervised. Pat did have one of her foxes kill a kitten once.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:51 pm

I'd be supervising interactions of course, especially around the smallest one though she's usually hiding out up on the cat tree anyways where the other cats won't bother her.
Then any time I'm not home/awake to supervise he'll either be locked up in a separate room or depending on his age, in a crate or his enclosure.

Also kind of hoping to maybe meet someone else locally whom has a kitsune friend as well to possibly meet and maybe take walks with or something.. Would be nice to take long scenic routes but kind of hazardous to go it alone when you're only about 5 foot.

Would you suppose that sending them an email would be the easiest/best way to clarify the information that I'm open to other possibilities as well besides the two listed?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:53 pm

I'm not sure but I think people have said they respond better to calls.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:51 pm

Hmm think I'll go ahead and just let nature take its course then because I don't want to bother them with unnecessary calls. Especially this time of year when they're likely being swarmed with them. It's not to big of a deal anyways if for whatever reason they're unable to provide one this year. If they can't then it's just another year to prepare and learn which can never hurt. :3
Koda

Postby Koda » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Congratulations. It's a lot of work, but after 6 months my wife loves her fox even when he's grumpy.

When people say they want a fox, I tell them "no you don't, you just think you do". My wife tells the husbands if their wife wants a fox, take them to a jewelry store instead. All in jest of course, but we reinforce the fact a fox needs loads of dedication and aren't for everyone. In fact they aren't for most everyone.

They take a lot of time and attention, not to mention planning and building their living area is not easy or cheap . I'm pretty convinced, at least in the short time with our Arctic, they need room to roam, run and have their own Kingdom so to speak. Koda is happiest when he can run freely, bury stuff, dig it up, climb on things, then he plays until the energy is depleted a bit (he's always on the move it seems). We even bury food in the snow to occupy his mind. It's funny to watch him smile; we can tell when he's content.

We didn't have time to plan because Koda was a rescue and it was late in the year, but come Spring assuming he's recovered from his injuries, we're putting up a large area of climb/dig proof fencing with lots of toys and such so he has his own world to run.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:48 pm

Man I'm getting a bit worried.. My phone has decided to take a liking to not notifying me when people try to call so I frequently have to restart it to try and make it work again..
It's also the only phone to get a hold of me as we kind of disconnected our home phone since nobody ever called it except spam.

Afraid they may try to call me and it won't ring, I'll end up getting passed over. D:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:18 pm

That would be worrisome. You could get it serviced? I'd think it would still work out fine long as you called back quickly.

After it coming up in a conversation with Elina I may lean towards getting a male now. I wrote a detailed post on male vs female fennecs after that and some research but the site ate it due to the frequent log outs. Maybe I'll just edit the care sheet instead or may try again later.

Anyway the name for my fennec found me but I can't share cuz of superstition. Every time I shared a planned name for my male tamandua it always fell through after, lol. I'm not gonna take chances.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:50 am

Well it's a bit hard to call back when you don't even know if someone called. It doesn't ring nor does it tell me I missed a call.
I'll have to ask someone about how to check my voicemail and hope that if they leave one, my phone will at least take that much. I also recently updated my phone so hopefully that helps. [I'm not very good with phones..]

Return to “FOXES”