https://www.gofundme.com/f/my-sick-beagle-dog

could anyone post this on their Facebook, or whatever they have for media
It is for Lucy (my beagle) she has some serious health issues.
=======================================

Dog food recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14747

Getting previously owned fox

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Nevlaar

Getting previously owned fox

Postby Nevlaar » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:04 pm

I wanted to ask about this because I heard it would hate you or something because it wouldn't have gotten used to humans.
I know foxes wouldn't get attached to humans so maybe I could get kind of a head start because it wouldn't miss it's owner:shrug:
maybe it would gradually get to know me? It could maybe get to know my dog and learn I'm its friend?

I'd like to get advice from people with rehomed foxes if possible.
I'll never understand you earthlings.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting previously owned fox

Postby pat » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:18 am

how old is the fox?

it is very hard to re-home a fox. it is possible for the fox to adjust, but, it will take a lot of time and patience.

let him get use to his new environment first, don't overwhelm him. don't try to do too much at the same time.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Nevlaar

Postby Nevlaar » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:13 am

I don't know, I'm pretty sure it's 3 years.
I haven't gotten it yet.
I'll never understand you earthlings.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:03 pm

If it's not attached to humans that will make rehoming it worse. If you want a wild animal in a cage that will never like you that you just watch from afar this is the animal for you. If you taking in a 3 year old who already isn't bonded to humans and hoping to get a cheap pet you are in for a ton of trouble and will likely have to rehome it again your self. One that old should be rehomed to a sanctuary or at the very least to someone with a lot of fox experience, including younger rehomes. This should NEVER be taken on by a first time exotic owner.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:19 pm

I thought you already had the fox.

I agree with mary, I don't think it is a good idea to get an older fox.
I don't know how much you know about foxes, but, it sounds like you are not sure?

Keep in mind, a fox is not at all like a dog or cat. A fox needs a large and secure enclosure.
if you keep it confined in a small area, you are asking for more problems and aggression.
yes, they do bite if the owner don't understand their behavior and proper needs.

I am not new at owning foxes, so I know what I am talking about.

We are here to help, not hurt..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:33 pm

I wanted to come back to this topic. There are starting to be many foxes in need of new homes after their owners decide they no longer want them. Already been about... ten people I'm aware of just this year.

My way of looking at it is this: if you're not ready for an adult fox, you're not ready for a kit.

Granted, getting a rehomed/rescued adult is like diving in headfirst and you don't want to do it without knowing what you're getting into. But I have lately been thinking that taking in a rehomed fox would be a great, selfless thing to do. It'll take more work for sure, but it takes work to raise a kit too. Like said, it is diving in headfirst, but if you have an enclosure then everything should go well.

I took in Carousel from a rehome situation and she turned into a rescue fox. Turns out she was severely underweight, had ear mites, walked plantigrade, and a few other issues regarding just general overall weakness and malnourishment. I LOVE this fox. She did warm up to me after about a week, and after a couple weeks, she's gotten to the point where she's happy to see me. So this is a rehome fox that turned out great.

Not all rehomes will be like Carousel, but many will be. So maybe consider giving rehomed foxes a chance. You may find a great friend in need of your love.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:33 pm

The problem is many who look into getting a rehomed fox for their first fox are coming from a dog perspective where everything has to be a rescue and wont really be prepared for the issues a rehomed fox could have. This could then lead to the fox getting rehomed again. I believe we saw this once with a more unique fox that was easier to know it was the same one that got relisted a few times but it's been awhile. Haven't been keeping track of rehomes like I have escapes.

I mean we even have a recent example on the board of potential issue with rehome when someone isn't prepared and it escaped. NOT saying anything bad about the person in this situation as, most everyone would assume the cage it came with was safe. Just saying there can be a lot of problems with rehome to novice owners. The reason there are so many rehomes is because novice owners don't really know what to expect, this will be true many times more with a rescue adult. Again I think this person was great for trying to help but I think seeking one out as a first is different and most wont actually be ready.

Though at the same time I do agree if a person is actually ready for what a rehome could mean then no reason not too, BUT this usually means at least having some other medium size exotic experience first. As evidence is this thread actually, the OP didn't seem to know much about foxes(could be wrong though as they didn't post much but the little they did seemed that way)

Return to “FOXES”