https://www.gofundme.com/f/my-sick-beagle-dog

could anyone post this on their Facebook, or whatever they have for media
It is for Lucy (my beagle) she has some serious health issues.
=======================================

Dog food recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14747

Would a Color morphed fox be rejected by a wild fox

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

H20 Sl

Would a Color morphed fox be rejected by a wild fox

Postby H20 Sl » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:51 pm

I'm just curious,
If a male, marbled fox that had been raised by humans, got dropped off into the woods and happened to meet a female red fox, or another male.. Would he be attacked or would the female let him mate with her? Or vise-versa?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Would a Color morphed fox be rejected by a wild fox

Postby pat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:58 pm

possibly if the female was alone. from what I understand once a male mates with a female, they pretty much stick together, even after babies are born. I also believe that foxes are territorial within a certain radius. thats what I heard anyway. so personally, it is hard to say for sure.

however, a captive loose marble fox is a very good target for hunters, because of their unique marking. chances are really good the captive fox
would be shot or hit by a car. not only that, they won't have the hunting skills like a wild fox does. however, they might learn somewhat when they are really hungry.

however, the average survival rate for wild foxes is generally 2-3 years average. icon-sad

I am sure the other members can give more info.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:17 am

Mmm, I see.. Huh.. and the female fox wouldn't have a problem with a white and brown/black/ ect. fox?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:06 pm

First question is would a captive-born fox be able to survive in the wild, and that answer is no. With that color, it would be shot or killed. It would be easily seen by predators. It also wouldn't know how to take care of itself. A huge percentage of wild foxes die in the wild, so a marble fox verses that percentile WITH additional handicaps is very unlikely to survive.

I do not believe a marble fox would be rejected by a wild fox. A red fox will recognize its own species regardless of color through scent. At first it may be wary or scared of a marble fox due to its coloration (Fable was afraid of black animals, the little racist, lol). But once introduced, I don't think a wild fox would care. If it were to be attacked it would simply be because it was in the territory of another fox.

That's what I think would happen. Why do you ask? :) Do you know of a marble fox in wild?
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:53 pm

Yes most mammals judge others by scent rather than looks. Pua and others of her (sub)species reject the vested (sub)species of tamandua tetradactyla. But she was freaked put by his presence just by the smell. They can smell the biological differences or similarities so recognize by scent their own species. One of the reasons I put (sub) in () as I believe there is enough evidence they should be listed as separate species rather than subspecies but that's another topic.

So red fox will except other red fox of the same species. It's not like birds where in many cases certain plumage or courting rituals are a must.

In some areas fur farm foxes set free survived and made a population due to the odds being upped by the sheer volume released. Vast majority released will die horribly, cars, predators, starvation, but the rare one can figure it out.
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:33 pm

Ash wrote:That's what I think would happen. Why do you ask? :) Do you know of a marble fox in wild?

Oh no, and I don't plan on letting my fox go into the wild EVER in case that was thought of. I was just genuinely curious, it came up in my head and it was bothering me. I always wondered why their were no "domestic" colored fox in the wild by now, pets escaping, ECT. And was thinking that, if they ever happened to have a chance to breed in a perfect world, would it happen?

I'm in a rush, but thank you for answering my question guys, and in such detail too :lol: .
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Oh there are, just not marble. The San Juan island foxes in WA: autumn fire, silvers, pearls, fire and ice, collicot, cinnamon, and Sapphire Blue all seen on the island in some wild form of them since intraduced to the island.

Doesn't allow embeding but cool https://www.flickr.com/photos/jankelly01/5884997194/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/momentfreezer/474009787/

Edit: but there were no wild reds to breed with there. The native reds only live in the mountains. It's was just a perfect environment for the fur farm foxes once set free to thrive due to there already being an over abundance of invasive rabbits on the island to eat.
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:34 pm

Oh my God.. wow, these colors are gorgeous! Hm, how'd that happen? I'll look up the island.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:08 am

Lol, it did cross my mind, but not that YOU would personally do it. I thought you may have knew of someone whose fox escaped into the wild.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:15 am

H20 Sl wrote:Oh my God.. wow, these colors are gorgeous! Hm, how'd that happen? I'll look up the island.

They were released. I originally heard released from a fur farm but I found a paper that said they were released on purpose to control the introduced rabbit population, back before people realized that was a bad way to try and fix invasives with more invasives. If the second story is the true one it makes the more domestic colorations of them even more interesting since one would assume they wouldn't be releasing the rarer colors. I guess the genes were in them anyway.

Return to “FOXES”