https://www.gofundme.com/f/my-sick-beagle-dog

could anyone post this on their Facebook, or whatever they have for media
It is for Lucy (my beagle) she has some serious health issues.
=======================================

Dog food recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14747

brushing fur?

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

GitaBooks

Re: brushing fur?

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:44 pm

When our dogs begin shedding a lot then a slicker brush works best. Just don't let it scrape the skin too much, as it can irritate some animals. It works really well on our medium-coated dogs that have thick undercoats.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:13 pm

Slickers are considered a styling tool and to clear through small knots or mats on the outer layer of hair. I wouldn't recommend using it to remove shedding hair. A regular paddle brush would be as effective if not more for removing shedding hair, without the possibility of scratching the skin. A shedding rake or FURminator would be best for that. I wouldn't use a slicker brush on Emo for example; but to brush Conte's poodle hair, yes.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Juska,

what is the best way to remove burrs? my aussie dog got tons of them :roll:
the only thing I can think of is cut them out of his fur? looks like some are so embedded.

I need to take him to a groomer,
geez, he gets dirty so fast :roll:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:36 pm

Steel comb to get the big part out, if it's still intact. Especially if you have a comb that has really close together teeth. Usually after that I just pick the rest out or keep combing/brushing. The little pieces will fall out/get groomed out eventually if you're not too concerned with getting every little piece out. Emo gets burdocks in her tail (big fluffy golden retriever tail) and I have to comb them out.

You can also use some oil or conditioner to help dislodge the burr.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:33 am

Juska,

thank you for info. we seem to have so many of these darn bushes. have been trying to pull them out, but, they hard to keep up with.
I didn't get a chance to pull them out of Leo yet :red-face: I will try today. will start with the SS comb as you suggested.
wonder if I put coconut oil or anything else on it first, then try combing them out?

really harder to get them out of a dog with long fur icon-sad

hecate
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hecate » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:51 am

A friend who is a professional groomer uses WD40 on the worst bur mats. Then she pulls the hair out of the bur rather than pulling the bur out of the coat. Of course, then the dog is bathed after the burs are gone.

I prefer EQyss Survivor for my horses when they come in from pasture with cockleburs in their manes and tails. Again, pulling the hair out of the burs a few at a time works much better, and saves most of the hair.

Coconut oil should be ideal for sensitive animals or burs near their faces.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:30 pm

hecate wrote:A friend who is a professional groomer uses WD40 on the worst bur mats. Then she pulls the hair out of the bur rather than pulling the bur out of the coat. Of course, then the dog is bathed after the burs are gone.

I prefer EQyss Survivor for my horses when they come in from pasture with cockleburs in their manes and tails. Again, pulling the hair out of the burs a few at a time works much better, and saves most of the hair.

Coconut oil should be ideal for sensitive animals or burs near their faces.

wow, I am surprised about the wd40. would make me nervous to try it, but, apparently it works.
I will try the coconut oil first. leo is outside right now, so will try and remove them when he comes inside and calms down a bit.

I am not real worried about cutting some of the fur, it will grow back. however, it does look like it is embedded.

thank you for the info.

Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:59 pm

I know I would not be comfortable with using WD40, the stuff just comes off as a toxic product.
hecate
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hecate » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:59 pm

I thought the same thing at first, but she showed me photos she took of some of the animals on which she used it. They were so bad it was justified. She only applies it to the burs and is careful to minimize contact with the skin. She doesn't use it on cats at all since they absorb more through their skin than dogs.

My horses are the only animals I have who can get into cockleburs at all so I typically just have to deal with manes and tails.

She also uses Dawn dish detergent for animals contaminated with automotive grease and similar substances. Her before and after photos of a white longhaired cat who lives at a trucking company and who took a nap in the 5th wheel of a parked semi were incredible.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:26 am

hecate wrote:I thought the same thing at first, but she showed me photos she took of some of the animals on which she used it. They were so bad it was justified. She only applies it to the burs and is careful to minimize contact with the skin. She doesn't use it on cats at all since they absorb more through their skin than dogs.

My horses are the only animals I have who can get into cockleburs at all so I typically just have to deal with manes and tails.

She also uses Dawn dish detergent for animals contaminated with automotive grease and similar substances. Her before and after photos of a white longhaired cat who lives at a trucking company and who took a nap in the 5th wheel of a parked semi were incredible.

thank you for sharing that. I personally would not use the WD4040. guess, it would be OK on a spot where the animal can't lick it.
I hate burrrs and anything that sticks to animals. hard to find all those bushes, but, our critters are able to find them :shrug:

I end up cutting the burrs out of leo's fur. much easier. he had more than I had seen. :roll:
After I cut them out, I put coconut oil on the spots I cut, and combed the little ones out with my SS comb.

my mini donkeys get burrs too, but, not near as bad as my dogs. sybil(my bear) has them on her back. I will have to wait till she goes in to hibernation to cut them out.

ashkin

Postby ashkin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:15 am

Hi everyone! I'm enjoying reading about your beautiful pets :) I only have two dogs and a parakeet right now, but I've always loved exotics.

I'm a hand spinner, and I started by spinning my chow-chow's hair into yarn. If you have any fur left over after brushing, I'd love to try it out! I'm curious to see what foxes, bears, and everything with an undercoat feels like in a knit hat.

Please let me know and I can arrange shipping, Thanks :D
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:46 am

ashkin wrote:Hi everyone! I'm enjoying reading about your beautiful pets :) I only have two dogs and a parakeet right now, but I've always loved exotics.

I'm a hand spinner, and I started by spinning my chow-chow's hair into yarn. If you have any fur left over after brushing, I'd love to try it out! I'm curious to see what foxes, bears, and everything with an undercoat feels like in a knit hat.

Please let me know and I can arrange shipping, Thanks :D

My dad asked for tamandua fur the make a paint brush but he didn't like it since it's stiff and does hold paint well. He did like the bunny fir though. Tamandua don't have undercoats though so it wont be good for that either.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:49 am

I will have to collect some fur for you when mine start to shed out. Should begin in a couple months and I can send you lots and lots. Just remind me in a little bit so I remember. :) I think that's cool that you make the fur into hats. I'd love to see Fable as a hat, haha.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
ashkin

Postby ashkin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:14 am

Tamanduagirl: Hmm.. If it's stiff, it may be a great brush for oil paints. We use brushes made of hog bristles in art school as the standard "go-to" brush. It's more to push the paint around though, so if you're looking for brushes for watercolor that hold the paint, something soft and absorbent like sable is better. Too bad tamanduas don't have undercoats, their natural yellow fur would look pretty neat :)

Ash: I'll be sure to check back, I can't wait! My chow makes yarn that looks like black angora, but my pomeranian's is less fluffy/more silky. Be sure to save the fur in a paper bag- plastic bags or enclosed containers will cause it to mildew!

Return to “FOXES”