PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

OK Weird Question . . .80% ?

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

OceanFox

OK Weird Question . . .80% ?

Postby OceanFox » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:13 pm

I read somewhere that if you get your fox fixed, there is a gland that I forgot the name of that shrinks to 80% of Its original size. does this mean that the fox is 80% less smelly (sent mark) or does that gland just work overtime to make up for the size? I know that the fox is going to smell no matter what I do, but the less smell, the better :lol: .
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OK Weird Question . . .80% ?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Supracaudal gland or violet gland in the tail, it is actually a cluster of a bunch of little glands. It's a little known fact that cats also have this gland but it obviously is different since they don't smell the same but neutered male cats do produce less oily stuff from their gland but doesn't shrink. In foxes people report little to no difference in smell in fixed vs nonfixed.

However the prostate gland if over sized will shrink dramatically once neutered in dogs, maybe you're thinking of that.
juniper707

Postby juniper707 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:10 pm

Are we talking body odor or urine odor? Spaying made no difference for either in my first fox.

Adult male cats produce a very distinct and strong smelling. If they are neutered, regardless of age, they lose this odor. Since foxes have similar glands I have always wondered if the same would be true or at least similar for male foxes. I've never asked someone who had an adult male neutered after becoming sexually mature whether or not they noticed any difference.
Honestly I don't know how anyone can live with an unneutered cat. There's a reason outdoor kitties are usually the ones that are left intact.
OceanFox

Postby OceanFox » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:28 pm

I can't remember where I read that, but I remember reading it from a couple different sources, but maybe I was thinking of the prostate gland.
OceanFox

Postby OceanFox » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:31 pm

juniper707, I was referring to urine odor
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:23 am

If it helps, my fox Fable was a mature adult male before he was fixed and I didn't notice a difference in smell at all.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “FOXES”