PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Indoor Fox

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Spindaboy

Indoor Fox

Postby Spindaboy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:04 am

So I'll be living in a rented space this August after I pick up my fox. This of course means I won't be able to build any kind of outdoor enclosure so it will be a 100% indoor fox (aside from the occasional trip somewhere). Does anyone have tips on to how I can keep it occupied to avoid destruction of furniture? I don't want him to end up bored and with too much energy.

And before anyone says anything about how this is impossible, it has already been done before. If you don't believe me check out the guide here by Loki the red fox. In it the owner clearly states, "He is a 100% indoor fox, we live in Florida and it is normally 96 degrees with 80% humidity 11 months out of the year. Loki does not like the heat at all; he really like the A/C. He goes outside when we take him out to different places around town." He also claims that Loki prefers not to go on walks.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Indoor Fox

Postby pat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:26 am

most foxes are different in personalities.
keeping a fox indoors 24/7 will most likely get bored. a bored fox is a destructive fox.
I have heard of some people that kept their fox indoors 24/7. needless to say, the majority of them, were very destructive.
a fox marks, there is no stopping that. If you rent, does your landlord know you are getting a fox? does your state require a permit?
does your local are allow foxes? are you getting a red fox?

if you are thinking of an artic fox, they are harder to litter train. even red foxes are not 100% litter trained.
foxes urine smells pretty bad. if you have carpet, it will make it worse. keep covers on your furniture, they will mark there too.

When I got my first fox, I let him stay in the house his first year. I end up replacing my couch, tore up all carpets.

I am not trying to discourage you, only being up front with you based on my experience and other fox owners.
I have raised foxes for 14 years. so I have a little bit of an idea of what I am talking about.

I would just hate for you to get a fox, then later your landlord will complain, then you might be forced to re-home him icon-sad
we see that a lot, and it makes us sad.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Yeah he also has totally remodeled the living space by putting in a bunch of shelves and such, and most of the living room is taken up by a small cage, not just a crate, and if you watch his featured video you will see he does pee and poop all over, despite his saying on the site he doesn't.

So you're landlord is totally cool with you remodeling the home and it smelling of fox forever more and getting stained with poop? Cuz if he's not you can be evicted and if the security deposit doesn't cover it then he will sue you for the rest. Hope his allowing a fox is in the lease agreement that might slow down the eviction a bit but not stop it, the destruction of property even just from the smell is enough but might buy you a little time finding another place.

Most foxes get aggressive if kept inside forever. Loki is one of the special ones. Someone posted a video of their fox crated and thought it was funny but the fox was crying and terribly upset and they do it every night. And if you want to avoid destruction he'll have to be crated when you are not there or asleep and any time you can't watch him and that's cruel.
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:07 pm

It's very very hard to keep a fox indoors. Lokis owner doesn't even recommend it for most people, and he works at home so he's around to watch loki all day. When my foxes were inside they tore a hole in my couch, tore some of my snap together hard wood floor up, and tore several holes in the walls, along with destroying any cords,toys, clothes, etc.and pottied everywhere. A big reason why i have my rescue fox mordecai is because the homes that tried to keep him before me wanted him inside and couldn't handle the destruction. It's possible to keep a fox inside, but unless you can modify your home greatly and be home 95%of the time, you may not be happy with the effects it causes. I kept mine in until they were 6mo and it was really hard, even though i walked them frequently and between me and my husband one of us was home most of the time. Above everything else, if you choose to keep your baby inside please get it on paper from your landlord that you can have a fox, because if you don't they can decide to make you get rid of your baby with little to no notice if your neighbors complain or anything
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:56 pm

linseylou wrote:Above everything else, if you choose to keep your baby inside please get it on paper from your landlord that you can have a fox, because if you don't they can decide to make you get rid of your baby with little to no notice if your neighbors complain or anything

It might also help if the paper he signs also states that he knows it will smell strongly skunky and maybe you could pay a larger deposit to cover the fact it will need extra cleaning and probably new rugs and other fixes after. I really don't recommend getting any fox or most any exotic while renting though, it's just too risky, but if he signs something saying he knows about the destruction it may cause and approves it anyway then that could help as other wise they can evict you due to property damage(including smell).
Spindaboy

Postby Spindaboy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:26 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:
linseylou wrote:Above everything else, if you choose to keep your baby inside please get it on paper from your landlord that you can have a fox, because if you don't they can decide to make you get rid of your baby with little to no notice if your neighbors complain or anything

It might also help if the paper he signs also states that he knows it will smell strongly skunky and maybe you could pay a larger deposit to cover the fact it will need extra cleaning and probably new rugs and other fixes after. I really don't recommend getting any fox or most any exotic while renting though, it's just too risky, but if he signs something saying he knows about the destruction it may cause and approves it anyway then that could help as other wise they can evict you due to property damage(including smell).

It may help that I'm going to get my fox certified as an emotional support animal which in accordance with the ADA of 1990 means I can house us in any place even if they have a no pet policy (within reasonable limits of course).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:34 pm

No the ADA covers service animals. The FHA covers Emotional support animals. And no it wont, plenty of cases of people trying this with exotics and it not working even for things it should cover like rats or ferrets because you have to fight them in court over it. Reason 2 a fox is unreasonable and it has to be reasonable, it is unreasonable because of the smell and destruction they can cause.
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:23 pm

My foxes are outside and my aunt and uncle are my closest neighbors about 300ft away, at least, and they can smell my foxes inside their house if the wind blows the right direction, even though i keep their enclosure very clean. They don't mind, but if they lived in an apartment next to me the smell would definitely bother them....i clean my fox enclosure daily, and give them fresh straw about once a week unless it gets really dirty and then I'll change it more frequently. Telling you just to give you an idea of how much they smell. I don't know how much your neighbors will tolerate before complaining.
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:37 am

linseylou wrote:My foxes are outside and my aunt and uncle are my closest neighbors about 300ft away, at least, and they can smell my foxes inside their house if the wind blows the right direction, even though i keep their enclosure very clean. They don't mind, but if they lived in an apartment next to me the smell would definitely bother them....i clean my fox enclosure daily, and give them fresh straw about once a week unless it gets really dirty and then I'll change it more frequently. Telling you just to give you an idea of how much they smell. I don't know how much your neighbors will tolerate before complaining.

I agree, mine smell too. I try and keep the enclosure clean, and change the litter pans. if I don't change the litter pans in a timely manor,
the odor is very strong. fortunately, I don't have close neighbors.

I do let mine in the house once in awhile, but, I don't let them spend the day. I don't have carpet anymore. so it's not too bad to clean if need be.

My first fox was really bad at marking. she use to stay in the house more than the ones I have now. Geez, she marked everything and everywhere.

another thing I forgot to mention, foxes are thieves :lol:. they seem to like leather stuff. shoes especially.

I remember awhile ago, a member here had a fox. he kept it in his room :roll: the fox destroyed so much. put holes in the wall.
tore up his mattress. he showed a picture of his fox with his head showing on top of the mattress. :lol:
He end up getting rid of the fox.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:46 am

Spindaboy

have you thought about a fennec fox? they do OK indoors, however they don't do good with litter training. however, artic foxes are worse.
Mary can tell you more about fennec foxes, she has one. Her fennec is adorable. but, then you are back to a permit issue. :shrug:

also, keep in mind, you need to spend a lot of time with a young fox for it to bond to you.

please keep in mind, we are only trying to help you to prevent any future problems.

Spindaboy

Postby Spindaboy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:41 am

pat wrote:Spindaboy

have you thought about a fennec fox? they do OK indoors, however they don't do good with litter training. however, artic foxes are worse.
Mary can tell you more about fennec foxes, she has one. Her fennec is adorable. but, then you are back to a permit issue. :shrug:

also, keep in mind, you need to spend a lot of time with a young fox for it to bond to you.

please keep in mind, we are only trying to help you to prevent any future problems.

I understand your concern :) No one wants to see a pet have to be rehomed, it just causes stress for everyone involved. I could be mistaken, but I thought Arctics had less of a musk and were more easily litter trained (than Reds)? And as I have just graduated from school I will have all day to be at home to take care of, bond, and train my fox properly :)
Spindaboy

Postby Spindaboy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:45 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:No the ADA covers service animals. The FHA covers Emotional support animals. And no it wont, plenty of cases of people trying this with exotics and it not working even for things it should cover like rats or ferrets because you have to fight them in court over it. Reason 2 a fox is unreasonable and it has to be reasonable, it is unreasonable because of the smell and destruction they can cause.

I wasn't aware of this, thank you for clarifying. I had no idea other people had actually attempted this route in the past...
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:41 pm

Spindaboy wrote:
pat wrote:Spindaboy

I understand your concern :) No one wants to see a pet have to be rehomed, it just causes stress for everyone involved. I could be mistaken, but I thought Arctics had less of a musk and were more easily litter trained (than Reds)? And as I have just graduated from school I will have all day to be at home to take care of, bond, and train my fox properly :)

sorry, but it is the opposite icon-sad I think a couple members had artic foxes, and everyone that had them, said, they were very hard to litter train, and their odor is worse than reds. don't know why, maybe it is the type of fox :shrug:

that is good you will be home all day when finished with school. I assume you will be getting job in the near future?
also, please make sure your landlord understands a fox's behavior. As mentioned, we don't want anything to go wrong for you.

I really am concerned about the odor, keeping a fox indoors will stink up your place, especially a artic.

Have you ever been around foxes (up close and personal :lol: ) ? if not, are their any type facilities or zoo that has them?
also, forgot to mention, if a fox gets scared, they will throw off an odor. when I took my female to the vets to get spayed,
yike, she stunk up my car. took days to get rid of the smell.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be a know-it-all. heck, after 14 years, I am still learning.

I will be honest with you, I have raccoons and foxes. my personal opinion, the raccoons are easier to work with, more of a personality, and 100% litter trained.

I am not trying to change your mind, only trying to help you further to understand a foxes behavior.

I will see if I can find any posts from members that have or had Arctics.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:02 pm

found this post:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=12902&p=123848#p123848

I don't have time right now to keep looking

linseylou

Postby linseylou » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:16 pm

I had an arctic fox before my reds and he was allot worse behaved then how I explained my reds above, and wouldn't litter train at all after a couple months.he did well until he was about mo old and just stopped. Having owned him first i didn't know there was much of a difference, but now having reds i realize he was allot more stubborn and hard to handle personality wise in the house unfortunately.

Return to “FOXES”