PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Efficacy of Rabies Vaccine in Red/Silver Foxes

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Foxtheauthor

Efficacy of Rabies Vaccine in Red/Silver Foxes

Postby Foxtheauthor » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:17 am

I want to let everyone here know that I have sent out several letters to multiple pharmaceutical companies in regards to RECENT studies on the efficacy of the rabies vaccine in domesticated foxes. I did this because I was informed by another fox owner that if my fox so much as licks another human and the person complained about it then the state would be obligated to euthanize her. I don't want that to happen to Starlord or anyone else who ones a fox. If they haven't done any recent studies I will be starting a petition to try and push them to complete some of the work they have already started years ago in the 80's.I do know that the rabies vaccine has been given to the domesticated foxes in the Russian program since the beginning nearly 60 years ago. We should already have answers to this without fears that someone will file a complaint and our beloved foxes will be killed over it. I've been searching for anything recently tested on domestic foxes in the US but I haven't found anything. I'm a licensed pharmacy tech and I work in a lab so I have acces to quite a few studies but there aren't any from the US specifically. There was one in Canada done on wild foxes that included bait squares that held the rabies vaccine inside them and the outcomes from those squares seem great but we don't use them here; which is weird to me.

Anyway I'm rambling now and I haven't slept yet so please forgive me.

Let me know if you guys find anything at all and I'll compare it to what I have already found. If you find any books let me know that too.

Fox C. Hardy & Starlord
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Efficacy of Rabies Vaccine in Red/Silver Foxes

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Sorry to say but this was tried and wont work. The skunk people tried. It costs millions to do the needed studies and the companies don't see enough revenue coming in from one species to make it worth their while, even with fur farmers. That means pet owners have to fund it themselves. Again the skunk people did this with a well run campaign but they never could get enough so the movement died.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:43 pm

It would be a multi-million dollar study to "prove" that the rabies vaccine was effective. As TamanduaGirl said, it would have to be a movement with pet fox owners, although I highly doubt we as a collective group could ever come up with the amount needed to fund the research.

The skunk vaccine movement was huge, and lots of people donated. But it didn't make a difference. :/

Really the only way for it to happen is if foxes became common household pets. Then maybe the government would see the importance of conducting a study. But the likelihood of that happening is slim. They are becoming a lot more popular as pets in recent years, but not to the point that a study would be considered "worth it."

The rabies vaccine is effective. No one will deny that. But because it hasn't been formally tested on red foxes specifically, it will not be regarded as 100% effective. Therefore our current vaccines will not be considered safe. It's pretty silly since the rabies vaccine has been proven to work on a huge variety of species. You would think it would be accepted.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:57 pm

And then another aspect is they have to also create a quarantine period. So they have to prove what the incubation period is. So for that study they have to infect a bunch of foxes with rabies to see how long it takes them to show symptoms. Because no vaccine is ever considered 100% effective so to save their lives they need to know how long to quarantine them if there is a bite.

Yeah common household pet is the only way. The skunk people learned from the ferret people how it's done but there was just not enough support.

This would also only save red foxes, if there ever somehow were enough funding. Each species has to go through the same testing to prove the vaccine and incubation period. So millions of dollars per species and less kept species will never have the funding needed. Heck skunks are actually fairly common as exotics go but still not common enough for the funding to be there.

Return to “FOXES”