PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Best age to move outside?

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Foxglove

Best age to move outside?

Postby Foxglove » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:37 pm

Hello!
I have a lovely little silver phase red fox who is currently 12 weeks old, I don't plan on moving him into his outdoor pen for a little while yet however I was wondering at what age people generally moved their Red's into their outside enclosures permanently, thank you for reading :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best age to move outside?

Postby Ash » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:37 pm

Hello, and welcome. :) Congratulations on getting your little baby. Silvers are so cute when they're little, and beautiful when grown up.

I moved Ifrit (red) into a garage enclosure pretty early on. I believe she was 8 weeks old when I did that. Then I would keep her in there for a while, spending lots of one-on-one for several weeks. I moved her in with my older fox when she was big enough to stand her own. I don't remember how many weeks she was at the time, but she wasn't a baby. She looked like a grown fox at that point, just smaller. If I wasn't moving her in with another fox, I would have moved her in more quickly.

12 weeks would be a good age to move your fox into his enclosure, providing the enclosure's gaps aren't big enough for him to slip through. Make sure that he's had his shots too since being outdoors could come into contact with diseases. But the age that you permanently put him in there is up to you, and assuming he is okay being indoors for a while longer.

Hope I could help.

What's your baby's name?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Foxglove

Postby Foxglove » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:25 am

Hi
Thank you for the reply and such a warm welcome and I love your foxes name! My guy is called Wilfred and I believe he had his jab for distemper and will be getting his one for parvo as soon as possible because the vet didn't have the right kind in stock, or it was the other way round I'm useless at remembering these kind of things haha. I think I will probably move him out after his second jab, thank you for the help :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:11 pm

No problem! Wilfred is a cute name. :) Let us know how he does outside. They love the new sites and smells.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:17 am

I waited until my foxes were at least 6mo old before moving them outside on a more full time basis. At 6mo my vet gives rabies and I wanted to wait until they were fully vaccinated. It was rough, but we did it lol
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
Foxglove

Postby Foxglove » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:29 am

linseylou wrote:I waited until my foxes were at least 6mo old before moving them outside on a more full time basis. At 6mo my vet gives rabies and I wanted to wait until they were fully vaccinated. It was rough, but we did it lol

I bet it was :lol: as much as I love little Wilf I don't think I (or the house for that matter) could stand up to him living inside for 6 months haha, I do completely understand you wanting to make sure they were fully vaccinated though. I also probably should've mentioned I live in the U.K. where there is no rabies to vaccinate against. Thank you for your reply :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Also, thank you for setting up an outdoor enclosure. You wouldn't believe how many foxes are rehomed in the US because their owners refuse to build outdoor enclosures. So I'm glad to see you have one. :)

Return to “FOXES”