PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Pa laws

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ellado3

Pa laws

Postby Ellado3 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:43 pm

I have read some things about the permit and having to have 2 year experience but those are from 2015 so I'm just asking if it's still the same. I also herd there might be a way to get a fur bearing permit as a way to keep a fox? Please correct me if this is wrong. :wall:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pa laws

Postby pat » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:29 pm

yes, everything is the same. maybe even worse by now, I am not sure. the best thing to do is call pgc in harrisburg and ask for the permits department.

a fur bearing permit is not a good idea. they might want to see the pelts every year. You could try a propagation permit.
it is cheaper than the regular permit. not sure what is needed for that. I will tell you, I had exotic permit for years. 50.00 a year per fox.
I find out about a year or so ago, I can get a prop permit, but, I have had a regular permit for many years. so not sure what hoops you would have to jump through.

the other issue is the game officer. some can be idiots, some are decent. I am lucky, the one I have is a great guy. he even looks at the animals,
if they are out in their pen. which honestly, I like that idea, even though I do take good care of mine, there are some people that don't.

also, you have to have your permit in hand before getting a fox. what part of PA do you live? western, eastern?
I live in western pa.

also, you will have to check with your local area, they will have the final say-so.

Just please make sure you have all your paper work. I would really hate if something went wrong and the pgc would confiscate your fox and kill it :cry:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ellado3

Postby Ellado3 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 pm

What's the details of the propagation permit? Also I do not live in pa yet but might be moving there. It would most likely be in eeri
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Someone on FB who got the permit more recently said it is a lot stricter. The foxes aren't allowed to come out of their pen and interact with people at all. There doesn't seem to be a search function on the groups any more though so I can't dig the post up.
Ellado3

Postby Ellado3 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:12 pm

Oh okay thanks. :(
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Just move to a town in Ohio that borders PA instead. Get all the perks of Ohio's wonderful licensing system for having foxes (buy the fox first, show the game warden the receipt, & receive the permit) while also being near PA & not having to deal with the PA Game Commission. It's a win/win situation.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:45 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Someone on FB who got the permit more recently said it is a lot stricter. The foxes aren't allowed to come out of their pen and interact with people at all. There doesn't seem to be a search function on the groups any more though so I can't dig the post up.

unless they changed, to me, it was a hell of lot easier than the exotic permit. I use to have the exotic permit for my foxes, then found out,
I can get the propagation for my foxes. (that is what I have for my raccoons) maybe it was easier for me due to having a permit and propagation for many years. :shrug:

the propagation permit is only 15.00 a year. don't matter how many you have. with the exotic permit, it is 50.00 per animal.

I can remember long time ago, every time I would call the permits department, I always got different answers from different people :roll:
the last time I called was within a year ago, the guy I talked to in the permits department was very nice and tried to give accurate info.
if he was not sure of something, he would look it up.

in the past, I always got different info from different people. :roll:

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:55 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Someone on FB who got the permit more recently said it is a lot stricter. The foxes aren't allowed to come out of their pen and interact with people at all. There doesn't seem to be a search function on the groups any more though so I can't dig the post up.
that stands true for any of the permits. for someone wanting to buy a fox or raccoon, they go in enclosure.

the pgc has those restrictions on all exotic animals. I can understand that, cause it could make an escape for the fox easier.

from my experience, the prop permit is much easier than the "exotic animal" permit.
with the exotic animal permit, you need 2 years experience, then jump through more hoops.

when I got my first fox, it took 6 months to get a permit. I had to fight with them to get the ball rolling. I got tired of waiting, so I called the senator,
then all of a sudden, my permit was approved

however, with any 1st animal, you have to have the enclosure built first. the game officer will come out and inspect it, once the enclosure is approved,
then you can get a fox, coon or whatever. however, seems the pgc can give someone a harder time with an exotic that is not indigenous to PA.
the last I heard to get exotics that are not indigenous to PA, it probably will be a little tougher, but, not impossible.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:09 pm

I think that person has the exotic permit.

Here's info on the propagation permits: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/leg ... &subsctn=0

It applies to any species with a wild population is the state. Doesn't say much but that you need a permit, approved pen and records of where you bought them. So just says what Pat said.
Ellado3

Postby Ellado3 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:07 pm

So basically if I were to move to Ohio it would be a lot easier? :roll:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:10 am

Yeah PA is one of those super anti exotic states.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:51 am

here is yet another link explaining more about the prop permit.
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/c ... pKtoc.html
for some reason, pgc has their info scattered, so whatever is on one page, it may not be the full info.

from my experience, the prop permit is the easiest to get. well, it is for raccoons and it turned out later for foxes.
I have talked to someone awhile ago that said they got a prop permit for their fox.

it all depends on who is working in the permits department. :roll:

as for Ohio, I really don't know for sure how much their laws has changed since the ordeal in zanesville.
Ohio got really bad after that. ohio was "stealing" so many animals, some went in a santuary, some were put down from what I remember.
they can be cruel. a member here use to have a bobcat, he had it for years, then the state decided "no, bobcats were not allowed anymore" :twisted:
they took the guy's bobcat, put him in a santuary, and the poor thing died there. then afterwards, the state of Ohio decided, bob cats are allowed :roll: this was a few years ago. I don't know if ohio changed for better or worse.

I think the best thing to do is call and email which state you decide on. email might be better, then you would have proof of what they said.
(do both: email and call)

Return to “FOXES”