PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Japanese and Korean Fox Owners

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Peacefulward

Japanese and Korean Fox Owners

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:39 pm

I have noticed something that puzzles me greatly.

Foxes (arctics, mostly) are pretty popular pets in Japan and South Korea. In these countries, most people own small houses with little to no yards or live in apartments. The foxes are kept indoors 24/7, often being crated like dogs, or left to free roam. But what confuses me is the fact that despite these unheard of practices, the foxes are still friendly and content, and show no behavioral problems! Plus the foxes don't completely destroy their houses.
I've seen people try to keep foxes completely indoors in the US, and it rarely ends well. So why does it work for the owners in Japan and Korea? Is it because foxes have been bred specifically to be pets for a much longer time, and so are tamer? :shrug:

What do you think? I'll dig through my phone and add some pictures of Japanese/Korean pet foxes as I find them.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Peacefulward

Re: Japanese and Korean Fox Owners

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:49 pm

(Cage can be seen here, raised wire with a litter pan beneath)

Japanese recommended housing for fennec foxes. Gonna get someone to translate the whole thing. Pretty sure I found this one from somewhere on SybilsDen.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:24 pm

I think it's a lot about status and appearances and they just don't show the bad stuff.

Like I see a lot of them also put fennecs in clothes and post photos of them dressed up in pet strollers or pet backpacks, but they aren't showing the fight to get them in those.

One past owner in Japan did post bite photos and he was one that gave it a bigger and bigger area over the years.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:23 pm

As for the vet scale, it could be possible the owner trained their fox to be comfortable in the area. I'll give an example.

Owners tend to struggle when giving their dog a bath, but that mainly happens because they didn't incorporate the activity into their dog's life at a young age.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:30 pm

Vata Raven wrote:As for the vet scale, it could be possible the owner trained their fox to be comfortable in the area. I'll give an example.

Owners tend to struggle when giving their dog a bath, but that mainly happens because they didn't incorporate the activity into their dog's life at a young age.

Are you referring to the second photo? That's someone's living room cabinet thing.
TurkRoach

Postby TurkRoach » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:17 pm

I never saw a Japanese person keep an arctic fox for a pet. Only a broker/breeder
Bora Kalem

Return to “FOXES”