PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Question on spaying

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Abbott2638

Question on spaying

Postby Abbott2638 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi everyone long time reader first time poster! I am going to be a first time fox owner come spring 2018 to a lil vixen, and im torn on if i should get her spayed or not, i read where it might help with behaviour issues and marking a little. But i have also read where they didn't wake up from the surgery, and have had that happen to one of my mother's dogs. But at the same time i want to give her the best life possible and if getting her spayed is the right way to go then i will have it done, Please help!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question on spaying

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:07 pm

In my experience with my red male, neutering did not make a difference. And I have heard from owners with female reds that spaying didn't seem to make much of a difference. Although I'm sure there have to be subtle changes.

I have a female red fox that is not spayed, and I have no issues with her at all. She's so sweet and loving to me and to strangers.

My vet did express concern at one point that not spaying her could increase her risks for cancer later in life. She says this is true of dogs, and so said that it could be similar for foxes. Whether or not that is true, I do not know.

I PERSONALLY wouldn't spay a fox because of the complications of the surgery. I can see a fox messing with its stitches as my male did after his neuter, and that would not be good for a recently spayed fox. But that's just what I would do. Others would do differently and have done differently.

Some people say they've seen changes when fixing their foxes, though that seems to mostly be with fennecs.

So it's a choice up to you. :)

And congrats on your decision to bring home a baby in the spring!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Abbott2638

Re: Question on spaying

Postby Abbott2638 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:27 pm

Thank you very much for the informative reply :)! And i was leaning towards avoiding it if possible, but hearing that made the decision easier. And thank you! I gotta finish converting our barn into her enclosure then play the waiting game!

Return to “FOXES”