PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Bringing home a new fox?

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nekiko

Bringing home a new fox?

Postby Nekiko » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:20 am

Hello, it's my first time posting here, but I just wanted to ask how people did with their kits (specifically Red Fox). I am planning to get one in some years from now (I'm definitely not ready, and I want my fox to be well-treated etc. when i do) I've been doing extensive research and the one thing people glossed over and I haven't really found out yet is... How do people handle having a job while JUST receiving their fox? I read that there should be a vast amount of interaction and you being present for your fox, especially when he/she is adapting to the environment + training, etc. How do people go to work while also caring for a new fox? I know that placing them in a small kennel isn't a good idea, because it bottles up their aggression. Any advice, personal experience, etc. would be much help, thank you!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bringing home a new fox?

Postby pat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi Nekiko ,
welcome.
when fox kits are young, even when older, they sleep alot during the day. if you have a fox proof room to keep your kit in while you are not home,
that would work.

it is important to give your fox as much quality time as possible. but, if they are sleeping, they will be OK.

what I did when mine were a kit. I kept them in a very large dog kennel when I was not home. I had a cardboard box with a blanket in it.
a water dish and a little food. a small litter pan. line the bottom with newspaper (for easy cleanup).
I also put a sheet over the top where the sleep box was to help them feel secure. a stuffed animal in there is helpful also.

the other fox owners here will give you their methods also.

thank you for thinking ahead. you will be glad you did.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:16 pm

When little they definitely sleep a LOT. Even when older they sleep a lot, but especially as kits as Pat mentioned. It would help for sure if someone could be home with the fox all day, but many have worked and raised foxes successfully. So I don't think it will be too bad as long as you give the fox plenty of room to run around in while you're gone, and then spend time with it once you do get home.

When they're a baby they don't need a whole lot of space. But when they get a little bit older they'll need their own play area.

You can also try sleeping with your fox. It doesn't usually work out (the fox will keep you up all night) but sometimes they'll settle down. This would give you more bonding time even when you're not awake.

I happened to be in between jobs at the times I got both my foxes. So I was able to spend time with them when they were babies/young kits before heading back to work. I guess in that sense I was lucky.

And yes, thank you for planning ahead. That really will make all the difference for you, and you will be glad you waited.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Welcome, Nekiko! Nice Grisaia avatar.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Nekiko

Postby Nekiko » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:51 pm

Peacefulward wrote:Welcome, Nekiko! Nice Grisaia avatar.

lol yumiko ftw thanks xP
Nekiko

Postby Nekiko » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:58 pm

I've been noticing a lot of anti-exotic stuff in my state (Cali), and was planning to move to a more exotic-friendly state later. So people (if required to work during the day still) bond mostly in the afternoon-evening? That would be good. Honestly, after seeing all the people who see pets and just want them for cuteness really got me thinking. Did I want to be like that? (NO) Having a fox while unprepared could make the strict laws even worse and give people more reason to dislike exotic pet owners. In my personal experience, my family almost got a husky but we were uninformed and unprepared, I want to make sure that that never happens again. That's why I'm here haha! Thanks for the info guys. In some years, I'll definitely post pics of my vixen, Kio (long story but that'd be the name of my future fox!)
[Time to search up outdoor enclosures. The diamond chain link fence thing is really confusing me. Ash, you made a wonderful post about enclosures, but I really don't understand it very well ;;. Probably because I've not had much experience with fences, and don't know the different strengths or types and such.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:33 am

A great state to move to for exotics is Florida. Tennessee is also very lenient if I remember, I know native foxes (red and gray) require permits but pet owners can get them quite easily. Virginia used to allow foxes as long as they weren't natural reds but the law changed and now all aren't allowed as pets....
I also know there are a lot of fox owners in Ohio, but I don't know the laws there.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Nekiko

Postby Nekiko » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:18 am

I heard good things about Indiana (especially Tiny Tracks but I'm not sure of their current status), but I'll see. To be honest, I'm just way too young to have one for now.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:15 am

Nekiko wrote:I heard good things about Indiana (especially Tiny Tracks but I'm not sure of their current status), but I'll see. To be honest, I'm just way too young to have one for now.

I applaud you for your intelligence and common since, especially for your age. Hopefully, you can help with some of the people that want to buy a fox on whim. many people do buy a fox thinking they are like dogs, we know they are not.
it's sad, cause some people that do buy a fox on a whim end up getting rid of them icon-sad

Then some times people will say how good their fox is, no problems etc. but, what some new owners don't understand is,
they are very friendly when a kit. as they get a little older, they will change. some more than others.
they start to mark is one example. if a fox is bored and kept in a house (some people think it is OK to do that) the other fox owners here and I know better. I do let mine in the house with once in awhile, but not long. I don't have carpets anymore.

Foxes are beautiful, but, some new owners really should understand their behavior and proper needs.
that is why is it very important to understand what to expect with a fox.

Tiny Tracks is a a good breeder. but by the time you are ready for your fox, you will find other good breeder also.

just remember, we are here for you, so feel free to ask any questions.

Again, thank you for thinking ahead. you sound like a very intelligent person.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:49 pm

What questions did you have regarding the fencing?

Kio is a cute name. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Nekiko

Postby Nekiko » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Um, more like making an enclosure in general, but I was asking more about how there's different types of fence I'm assuming? Wasn't exactly sure on all of it and how to connect the panels. (looked at all the links to the different companies making the fences). I guess you can tell I'm really young if I don't know much about fences in general haha

Kio somehow came from Nekiko. People always have issues pronouncing it, and some guy said "forget it, I'll just call you Kio" and i thought, wow when i get a fox, I'll name her Kio!
Nekiko

Postby Nekiko » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:06 am

Having a concrete floor makes sense but I'm not sure about connecting the fence in general and to the ground (research time I guess)

Return to “FOXES”