ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Is 6 months to late for training

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Tomo15

Is 6 months to late for training

Postby Tomo15 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:20 pm

I'm about to get a 5 month old female silver fox who was rescued from a house with 11 others is it to late to train her ??
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is 6 months to late for training

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:33 pm

Depends what you are hoping to train?
Tomo15

Postby Tomo15 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:44 pm

I'd like her to be a house fox
Tomo15

Postby Tomo15 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:45 pm

At least to walk on a lead
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:57 pm

It is too late to be a house fox in her case and moving to a new home can really stress them out and even most foxes who don't get rehomed don't do well as house foxes and really need their own outside area to be a fox and can be really aggressive and destructive inside. Considering the circumstances, 11 others so probably not handled much, I would not expect a house pet or even try it and walks will be unlikely as well but worth a try. You will likely have to concentrate just on taming her down in the first place so she will never be like one raised right from the start. She WILL need an outside enclosure.

Leash training, maybe, will depend a lot on the fox but if she's not been introduced to it already(highly unlikely) it could be hard. You will want to take it nice and slow. Just get her used to seeing it at first, then setting it on her but not actually put on and fastened, then actually put the harness on. The leash it's self can be quite scary too because it's something following them. Some never like it even when taught from young but some do like walks so you can give a shot.

You're main training job will likely be taming her down.
Tomo15

Postby Tomo15 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Thank you so mutch for ur help I've already got an outdoor pen set up so I'll just try the leash training thanks again
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:24 pm

TWELVE foxes in one house!? That sounds like a disaster. I think it's great that you're planning on adopting a rescue fox. They need loving too. Thanks for being willing to take in a pre-owned animal that needs a home. :)

She is definitely going to be a challenge, but if you're up for it, I'm confident you can handle it. I agree with TG, the focus will likely be on taming her down and forming a bond with her. It's definitely possible, but you may have to put some extra work and effort into your relationship. Having an outdoor enclosure for her will definitely help.

Keep us updated and let us know when/if you run into problems. Hopefully we'll be able to help the two of you out. ;)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “FOXES”